Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

targa top noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:15 AM
peter.m
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post targa top noise

I have an 87 targa and had the top re-covered a few years ago, but also a fair amount of rebuilding, all by a reputable guy in new jersey. It looks great and doesn't knock the way it did, but the wind noise at speed is driving me crazy. Above 60mph and up, and particularly at 80mph, it is loud in the front. I have tried adjusting it up and down with the screws inside, but the only thing that has helped has been cheap sticky weatherproofing strips. These definately help but again - lots of wind noise still.
is this a fact of life of all targa tops, or is there still a solution? I do notice that the lip of the top in front is raised a 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the top of the windshield where it inserts. Is this the problem and if there were a way to have this flush with the body will the wind noise go away? thanks for any advice.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:42 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It should fit flush. Mine is quiet, even at highway speeds. My guess is that you had Dan rebuild your top. I'd call him and get his advice. Something isn't right.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:37 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would bet that the seal around the windshield frame has been recently replaced. This seal has been superceded several times, and needs to be extensively trimmed down in the corners and across the length of the windscreen frame. A real PITA. You might be able to find a thread on this forum with some instructions on how to do this, but because there are no illustrations of this procedure, I've not found it to be very useful.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:19 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
My guess...

My 78 still has the original top. I have been thinking of having it refurbished and in that process have been looking/watching for tops that have been.

I notice a lot of variation. On my original top the top cover seems to extend forward and rearward enough to cover the gap/seals. On many of the recovered tops I see the new cover doesn't seem to be as "deep" front to back, no overlap of the gap/seals.

Might be your problem.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:32 PM
DandyD
Track Day

Sounds like you are describing my 87 Targa. I also have a raised place at the front lip and I spent $100 on a new seal with no improvement. Much quieter with the top off. Good luck and let us know if you find a solution.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:10 AM
madvex
Intermediate

The top and seals on my '85 are original. She sits flush - loud as hell at speed! I mean.. Forget the cell phone. It's definitely quieter with the top off.

Suggestions?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:18 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Madvex, have you checked to see if all of the clips at the front of the top are engaged with the hinged bar accross the front of the top? If you can push up on the top at the front and either get a lot of movement or see light after hearing the noise, they are no longer engaged.

They can be adjusted to some degree, or replaced with longer clips, but you'll also need to check the clip locations on the bar itself for wear. I discovered the wear problem and filled the wear areas in with JB Weld ( the bar is magnesium, and therefore diffilcult to weld.)
Old 02-04-2003, 09:22 PM
J R W
5th Gear

I have same issue with 85 Targa. My top and seal are in very good shape and fit, but the noise is so bad I keep a pair of foam ear plugs in the console to wear if I'm going any distance at speed. Does anyone remember seeing a type of gasket that fits in between the windshield and the top and acts like a wind spoiler to knock the air over the top to windshield joint ?
Old 02-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Franksplace2
8th Gear

Peter,

I have the exact same problem on my '77. There is that bump on the top where the top folds.

I don't feel any air leak and there is no rain leak. Others with smooth tops say there is no noise. So it must be the bump.

I suggest you ask Dan - everyone says he is a real nice guy - what can we do to tighten the front lip and eliminate the bump.

Then post what he says so I can do it too,

Thanks

Frank
Old 02-10-2003, 08:05 PM
hoosierdaddy
Intermediate

What brand of top was used ? This a very old problem with Targa's . Ive ridden in some and have pulled down on the center of the top and very little change . Most trim shops use after market suppliers for their tops due to cost, so could it be the top cover , who knows because all manufacturers are the same " The problem is not with our product . Don't put all the blame on the installer and by the way , ask him if he found any rust in your top frame. Thanks for listening
Jim

Quick Reply: targa top noise