Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any pics of elec. connections in engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005 | 09:45 AM
74er
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any pics of elec. connections in engine bay?

Does anyone happen to have any pictures or descriptions of the electrical connections made from the engine harness to the driver side electrical connections? I've just installed the engine and haven't figured some of these out. The car is a '74 911 ROW. I've found connections for the following so far: Main harness connection, Ignition control box, voltage regulator, and timing chain temp sensor. I can't remember exactly right now but I know there is a single wire (male spade type) and a female 'T' that I haven't any clue about coming off of the engine harness. There might be more but I can't remember right now. There are also several different type wires / connectors on the engine bay harness that don't have any home yet either. I'm thinking many of these probably are related to the A/C system. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Only one wire goes to the A/C compressor, it can be found tucked in under the oil filter (it's not part of the "engine harness"). If you have a long pair of wires (fitted with bullet connectors) shielded by a hard tube about 12" long those will go to your back up light switch on the nose of the trans. The shorter heavy red and regular yellow wires are for the starter solenoid. Photograph any others you question and I'll tell you where they go...
Pete
Old 01-21-2005 | 11:11 AM
74er
Advanced

Peter,
Here are a couple low quality pics. Hope they are not too bad to make out, sorry.

1 - 'T' type that doesn't look to have ever been used
2 - single spade male connector coming from around the back of the electrical panel
3 - single spade male connector off engine harness
4 - 3 wire connector plus 1 off of same loom
5 - 6 plug female (maybe to rectangular relay which I don't have next to volt. reg.)
6 - 3 wires plus 1 'T'
7 - 3 wires from driver side towards front of car
Reading an electrical schematic and knowing where the wire location is can be quite overwhelming. There is no rear window defroster as the car had been made convertible from a targa. Again, sorry for the low quality....any input is appreciated. If you need additional detail such as wire colors, please let me know. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-21-2005 | 12:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

OK, number 4 is easy. That goes to your CD unit (the single wire connects to the ground terminal on the bottom of the CD right next to the 3-wire plug). Number 5 (6-plug female) is probably the connector for the Targa rear window defroster relay - no longer needed. If the colors match numbers 2 & 3 might plug into number 1 (this is a guess due to poor pic detail!). What year is the engine? What year is the chassis? Please remove the accordian-like, torn, black plastic hose and try to shoot a clearer pic of the area around number 6.
Pete
Old 01-21-2005 | 12:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Sorry, you said the chassis is a '74. Also, please shoot a pic of the blower that the black plastic hose attaches to, and, if possible, the throttle body to the right of that blower...
Pete
Old 01-21-2005 | 01:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

On second thought, I think that you're correct, number 1 is probably not used. Will numbers 2 & 3 comfortably reach the connectors in number 6, and do the wire colors match? I can't seem to find your Targa rear window heater wires, but I belive that one is red w/black tracer (or ringlets), and one is red w/white tracer. I also think that number 7 (the single wire to the left) is unused, it might be an extra wire intended for the cold start solenoid in mechanical fuel injection (MFI) applications. If so that wire should be a light grey or dirty white color.
Pete
Old 01-24-2005 | 11:30 PM
ArtisticEnt
Intermediate

my name is Nathan. I have a 74 also that I just bought on wed. It has a starting problem that I KNOW is realted to the poor wiring in this exact area. In my car it appears that I am having ground problems. Is there someone who could tell me how and the colors of the wires that go between the ignition coil ( a and b) to the ignition module and then ?? When the engine strts it runs, its just getting it started.
Thank you
Nathan
Old 01-25-2005 | 09:41 AM
74er
Advanced

Been a little too busy to get additional pics in as of yet. Nathan, you can find some elec. diagrams on Pelican's sight. I think I've found out what number 6 is. 2 blues connected together and 2 browns connected together and I think one black. From one of the elec. diagrams it shows this type of config. going to a govenor(not applicable). Unfortunately number 4 here isn't that easy in my situation. I apparently have some aftermarket CD, it has a part number which I'll have to search out, other markings basically not legible (made in California and has a blue tint over the housing). I already have a harness connected to it which is a 6 prong connector. Now I'll have to find out what kind of vodoo I'll have to do to check it. Pete, basically on the blower there is only one harness which I believe has 2 wires in a connector which doesn't look like it unplugs. The throttle area basically only has the micro-switch (idle indication???) which has 3 yellow wires going to it. The engine happens to be a '75 ROW.
Old 01-25-2005 | 11:58 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Blue, brown & black are voltage regulator wires. Your CD is most likely a Permatune. Sometimes you must unbolt it in order to properly connect the wires shown in your pic #4.
Pete
Old 01-25-2005 | 01:36 PM
ArtisticEnt
Intermediate

I also have the 74 row. I have the blue perma tune cd. However it is a 3 prong not 6. Are you sure yours is not a 3. Anyway that is what I have been dealing with, the wireing around there. I have 2 stock original CD's from this year so let me know if you need one. Ill check out pelican for the wiring. Thanks
Old 01-25-2005 | 02:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

A 6-terminal CD is for an SC, incorrect for your application.
Pete
Old 01-26-2005 | 02:41 AM
ArtisticEnt
Intermediate

Well, a problem I was having Is that there was a power wire connected to the spade terminal on the cd. That cant be good. I now just need to know how and where it is all supposed to ground.
It looks like the outer shielding of 2 white cables is twisted to make a separate ground wire. It all doesn't look very good but I cant seem to find a good wire diagram for this. Not even on pelican or pca.org
Nathan
Old 01-26-2005 | 09:39 AM
74er
Advanced

A little update...item 2 is a green wire with white bands, item 3 is black with a white stripe, item 7 is 1 grayish white, 1 red with black bands, 1 brown with white bands. 2 does not reach 6 but 3 would however I don't think they are related. I did notice that when I plug 2 (hot wire) into the 3 prong cd harness (middle connection) I hear a click in the back when I turn the key. Looks like I'll have to change the cd box.
Nathan, have you check the transmission ground strap yet? It is on the passenger side around the transmission mounting bracket. Possibly replace it and clean connecting points(1 on transmission and 1 on chassie). I am interested in your original CD box. I've never done PMs but could you send one to me with what your asking. I think at some point I'm interested in updating to MSD but I'd like to get everything together first. Thanks and good luck, I know I'll need it.
Old 01-26-2005 | 02:30 PM
ArtisticEnt
Intermediate

sure, do you have nything to trade for it like porsche parts or would it be easier to pay me through paypal for it. I was going to put it on ebay anyway but id rather a fellow porsche guy solve a problem with it. I have realized that my wiring is screwed. A white wire comes from the cd to the + or A of the coil but where does the B of the coil run to? Ground maybe? Also the other white wire from the cd plug is supposed to meet with a purple and black tach wire, I dont see that. GEEEZ!!
Nathan
Old 01-26-2005 | 03:48 PM
74er
Advanced

http://www.perma-tune.com/T-ignition-Porsche-911.html

Looking at the pelican 1973cis schematic, B comes from the ingnition switch (also confirmed by above sight) from fuse 8 in the trunk (you could check it with the key on). I don't know about the purple and black tach wire but if your tach is working, your probably in good shape with that. I haven't dived into perma tune too much but there might be an adaptor wire for the tach when a perma tune is used. What price would you ask for the CD? If it sounds good and I don't go ahead and decide to do something different, paypal works for me.

Quick Reply: Any pics of elec. connections in engine bay?