Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

EBS Racing / Reputation on parts and service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:45 AM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking EBS Racing / Reputation on parts and service?

I'm getting close to decide on who to use for parts AND service. I'm doing a complete rebuild on my '85 3.2 and will do most assy work myself.

Question: I want to go to 98mm (3.4) P/C while I'm in there and I was referred to EBS racing in NV. Guy named John suggested that I send my Cyl. and they will bore and re-plate with the Nickisil. The cost is almost half of 'new' P/C that are 98mm.

Can this re-plating process be done with same-as-porsche-OE integrity?? Are these people who they say they are? He offered me a discount if I spent $$ with them on parts and services. Any and all advice / comments are welcome!
Old 11-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought parts from EBS/Jon(athan) for years. They are a great outfit.
I've also used their replating service but I don't have enough miles on them to tell you how durable they are. I haven't used EBS' machining service but as I understand it, the same place that does their heads did the 964 head updates for Porsche. (Back then Porsche North America was based in Nevada.)
-Chris
Old 11-03-2004, 03:56 PM
carmad
Advanced

Had my cylinders re-plated came back looking like new also rebuilt my oil pump. Have put 7,000 miles and 3 track days on them with no issues so far.
Also bought parts from them, excellent customer service.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:17 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Talking

When I spoke to John at EBS I told him the domes on the JE pistons that I had seen in all the ads looked like s--t! That the domes are still rough machined and would require about 3-4hrs of hand contouring and smoothing to get good flame travel. Just compare the domes to the fact stuff. Porsche engineers are no dummies!!

He instantly knew what I was talking about and said that those were 'off the shelf' units and I could order any dome config including a more favorable 'wedge' design so I would not have to dual plug. The price was about 15% more.

We discussed cam selection and he was very knowledgable about this combo and made several reccomendations w/o any hard sell.

If anyone has built a nice street 3.4 please advise.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:21 PM
tyler
Advanced

no advice on the cars, but I dealt with those guys when I had my C2 and got wonderful help from them

very straightforward and could get most anything I needed

I would use them again
Old 11-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 615 Posts

I deal with EBS on a regular basis, as they supply all the piston to go with the cylinders I manufacture. I have nothing but praise for the level of support they provide to both my customers and myself.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Old 11-05-2004, 09:53 AM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

You know the funny thing in the car business is that if no one has anything BAD to say about a supplier or shop that it must be OK. The fact that many have had nothing but praise for EBS just speaks volumes to me as far as parts, machine work and advice.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:35 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Me too! Me too!

I've been dealing with Jon for over ten years now, and there is simply nothing they lack. Patient, courteous service, best prices, incredible knowledge, same day shipping--the best, bar none. And, they simply will not sell crap. Well, I've run out of adjectives, so I'll stop.

RE: Reman cylinders: I put a set in my 2.7 w/JE piston ans have had absolutely no problems with them. Remans had a poor rep at one time because it was hard to find someone who could re-coat them properly. Jon has found a company in Wisconsin that remans cylinders for the aircraft industry where every one has to be done right, and has had no problems with them. I recommend them without hesitation.

What attracted me to remans (besides cost) is that i could mix and match JE pistons with OE cylinders without ending up with a set of cast Mahle pistons I didnt need.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 615 Posts

EBS uses Millennium Technologies, out of Plymouth, Wi. I personally don't think there is anyone else out there that does better work and has better service. All LN Engineering billet cylinders are done for us by MT and they back their work with a lifetime warranty. Not too shabby.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:01 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

And those JE psitons are just way too pretty to actually use!
Old 11-05-2004, 06:14 PM
theasphaltgambler
Advanced

Talking

Wow! another HUGE issue resolved!! Thanks!

Quick Reply: EBS Racing / Reputation on parts and service?