Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where are Carrera prices going these days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Unfortuanely, I suspect Boxster prices will continue to depreciate for a while... probably stabilizing in the mid teens...
I agree with that 100%... First year cars (986's) are dropping well below $20k for cars with miles on them right now. It doesn't help either that there were soooo many of them built... Sorry to get OT...
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RMS. Are you a member of the Rear Main Seal Club. Sorry.
If you were looking on ebay. Cars not selling is no surprise. Most people buying are trying to steal the cars. Also typically someone emails the seller and buys the car direct. Happens every day. Ask me how I know.
I believe the 3.2 will stay in the present price range for some time to come. Absolutely great cars. Near bullet proof. Nice NA cars go up to the very high 20s. I hope so as I may be selling mine. The garage is crowded and I want a car built for DE/AX.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:30 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ebay has alot of crap on it, I sold my FJ40 a month ago for $3000 more than I thought I could get for it! So its a crap-shoot.

Boxsters are already worth nothing on trade-in the cheapest I saw was a silver 99 with just under 60K that we took in for a little under $16K! But the prices will continue to fall as they go out of warranty and the mileages keep getting higher. and ones with a blown motor? That job is half the value of the car! I've toyed with the Idea of buying one that needs a motor and doing a 3.6 swap.

996 owners are in denial that they own a problem plagued **** box thats worth less than some 993's, we took one in on trade that blew the motor and the guy didnt have the cash to fix it (So he buys another?) for under $25K and I remember a 99 cab with over 70K on the clock for around 33K trade-in. Alas these will get worse to. I and several others are betting on 928 syndrome for these cars where it costs more to keep it on the road than its worth, thus bringing the price down lower, potential buyers of the car know of said problems and offer even less! Vicious cycle.

the current line up of Porsche sports cars (or lack there of?) with no immediate end to troubled waters insight (face it people, the 997 has the 996 engine with a booster shot of vitamin HP) leaves little hope of a back to the roots car ever coming out of Weissach, coupled with the ever decreasing numbers of cars on the road (or people like me who wont sell the one they have) which means that all the old bodied, air cooled, 993 down cars to hold thier value and go up. Infact I think I can speak for everyone in this forum when I say that we would all pay a few thousand extra than originally planed to have a nice well kept "above and beyond" car as even borderline clean ones are getting rarer.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:02 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

fixn... may be a bit harsh about the newer cars... 4 years our Boxster has had absolutely 0 problems other than some trim that was replaced under warranty. I do think the interior is a bit cheesey, but the rest is so capable, that its not even an issue.

New cars depreciate. New 85 Carrara was probably a $40-50K car... maybe $70-80K in todays dollars now worth $18K... thats a hit. Today depreciation is accellerated IMHO by leasing... probably 90% of new high-line cars are leased, which means they will all hit the market at the same time... depressing prices... this is not unique to P-cars... ever check resale on a 3-year old 745i BMW...OUCH!!!

P-cars propably hold their own or exceed the market... but it is still a nsaty hit

That said the new cars do not have as much unique character as the older cars... single malt scotch vs Canadian whiskey... but that does not mean they are not good cars... but they are certaily more mainstream.

Like you, I just have a taste for a harder edged car, and I find that when I drive the Cararra or the old Vette, it's a kick in the pants.... but its nice to know theres a BMW sitting there to cover your tail...

But if I had to buy 1 car, and 1 car only, it would be a Boxster or a 996 hands down....
Old 10-14-2004, 01:29 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ohhh a Vette huh, the 68-72 steel bumpers are a favorite of mine. I was looking at a 70 roadster in Marlboro maroon about a year ago, all original CA car with black/yellow plates and 68K on the clock, it was the 375 HP 350 with a four speed, needed the engine compartment cleaned and detailed and the suspension was shot, $15K! But I passed and it sold for over 21K a week later at auction, so needless to say I kicked myself in the *** for the next few months untill I got over it.

new cars take a horrid hit no matter what you buy, my 84 was $32K new in 84, Is that pre Reganomics? LOL
Old 10-14-2004, 12:34 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of variables but one we can't forget is the economy. In boom times, more people will live their dreams thus increasing demand. ( a 911 is just that - a dream).

As the economy started to really roll in the 90s, I was dreaming of a vintage Corvette. Supply of 427 '63-67s was actually increasing ( not real ones but ones built from parts bins), prices were high and speculation was rampant. I smartly backed off( for once), just as the bubble was bursting.

My guess that EEBE a Carrera will follow inflation, plus the economic "dream" factor. For technical reasons supply will not incease as it did with Vette's.

Further out, however there may be a demographic problem as the dreamers age. ie if you were 5 years old in '89, you may not have the dream. My son's early 20's friends love the car, but after them I'm not sure.

( EEBE - everything else being equal)
Old 10-14-2004, 12:57 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerry100
...Further out, however there may be a demographic problem as the dreamers age. ie if you were 5 years old in '89, you may not have the dream. My son's early 20's friends love the car, but after them I'm not sure.
I've had numerous young "kids" in my neighborhood get excited upon hearing me rumble through in first gear, and just the other day, one (he couldn't have been more than 5 or 6) kept exclaiming "it's a Porsh, it's a Porsh!!!"...I had to forgive the mispronunciation . I gave a friend's son and his friend (both 13ish) a ride the other day, and their eyes were as big a saucers, and the friend said "it's like a race car"...yep, I think even the young ones get it!
Old 10-14-2004, 01:33 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have driven near small kids in my 86 carrera and have had the "that"s a porsh" exclamation. This comeing from children too small to know what a porsche is other than it looks like a race car. Personally, I think the attraction is and will always be the sweet sound of a well tuned air cooled engine. There is no other car on the road with that unmistakeable sound and can not be duplicated even by the attempts of the water cooled porsche's. For that reason, and because if you want one you must buy used there will always be a following. Just my opinion!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:30 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fixn... IMHO the chrome bumper vettes are under-priced in the market... the crappy rep of the dreary mid-70s cars really pulled them down, but the vette guys are making the distinction and the two are diverging steadily. With run of mill Camaros going for $20s, and BB Chevelle going skyward, hard to belive you can buy a really clean 68-69 427 tri-power coupe for $25K.... explain to me why this is not a "musclecar?" I guess because it handles corners and can actually stop from speed..... small blocks are mid teens cars.... and a blast to drive...

Here ends the message from the dark side.

Bottom line, no car is guaranteed in price... all you can do is use some judgement.... quality, heritage, price history, repairs, rarity, reputation.... and yes demographics.

Gerry makes a very important point.... in collector world people tend to buy the cars they dreamed of owning as a kid, and can't afford till they are fifty.... if you look at the hot market, look at cars from the period 35 years prior...(50-15)... Packards, MGs, E-Jaguars, now Muscle cars... they all hit that bubble....

Does this mean we should all rush out and buy Cordobas with Opera windows and Corinthian leather? Who knows... don't laugh... kitch could become hot.... markets are funny... certainly there aren't many left that aren't rusted to sh*t...... if you told me 5 years ago that somebody would pay $90K for a Chevelle, I'd have sh*t my pants.

IF you check the boxes the SC/Carrrara score pretty well... BTW point here is driving cool cars cheap, not making a killing.... sure you can get lucky, but even if the car goes down a couple grand, over 5 years, thats gas money

Quick Reply: Where are Carrera prices going these days?