Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turbo-Look: Worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:49 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 82 with after market wide body and I would give anything to have it back...Well maybe not anything. Hard to believe anyone wouldn't like the Turbo look 911 just a little more than the narrow body. The 84 Turbo, good condition, is listed in Black book Cars of Particular interest for 27700, and that is gray market car. The regular coupe is 16k same condition. The TL option is generally considered to be worth 6 to 7k more even by Bruce Anderson, so it's not that far off. An excellent 84 Coupe is 25100 plus the TL option. Excellent means concourse condition however. This car could fall somewhere between the good and excellent numbers if it is low mileage, well maintained, original, with records. Just as info. and excellent 84 930 shows valued at 43500. Black book CPI is the reference used by most car collectors.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:24 AM
serial_modder
Intermediate

i was browsing through the forum, and i saw this thread. thought i could show a few pics of what is done in scandinavia. this is a 1978 mod 911

and a little movie too...

it's fun right click and "save as"

Last edited by serial_modder; 12-31-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 AM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 Factory Turbo Look Targa Red/Blk is for sale!

Only 37,500 miles. No winters. One of six made. $28,000.

http://home.comcast.net/~fireice586/...D-1801031.html
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2005, 01:32 PM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Here's mine..All I can tell you is that it brings a smile to my face every time.

If the car you're looking at gives you that same warm & fuzzy....go for it!

Old 01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I know I am jumping in late but I owned a 79 SC Turbo Look for 19 years and I still regret the day I sold it. This car was very special it was built buy an ex factory exclusive works guy in Switzerland weighed 2390 pounds had a max moritz 3.2 liter upgrade with higher compression and a carrera crank producing about 270 hp. In 1984 when i first brought the car over it was the fastest thing around. Easily out accelerated from 0-60 and kept up with any stock turbo until we were at speed when a turbos torque would give a 1-2 car length advantage. The one problem was the flairs front fenders and doors were made of aluminum. Very hard to keep paint on them and had to be careful not to dent them. The car handled very well and the compliments I received were amazing. (I even had women exposing themselves to me on the highway trying to get a ride) Boy those were the days.

One thing I would never do was put a turbo badge on the car. When the builder made the car it was as he called it a 74 RS replica. He designed and worked on the front IMSA bumper and used as many parts from his RS days making the car including original 8 & 9 x 15 inch fuchs. In fact as stated earlier the wide body came before the turbo. To place a turbo badge on the lid to me would have been wrong. The car was what it was and it was no slouch. I sold the car last year for almost 22k and the person who owns it got a hell of a deal. These cars are worth what they are because of an individuals desire and shall we say attraction to them. If you prefer the wide body over the narrow then buy what you like. To me 10k extra may be worth it if the car is clean sound and does offer some extras like turbo brakes and suspension.

BTW the wide body has no effect on the car except for top end loss and my turbo bodied SC was much more stable than my narrow bodied SC in every respect.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Pablohsu
Track Day

Jay H:

I am a fan of the regular body style SC and carreras, but your brother's Turbo conversion does look very good. I love the silver too.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. I'll pass along your compliments to my brother.

The prior owner spent a ton on that car having it converted. I think he would have been cheaper off just buying a real M491 car. In the end, he got a slight premium for his SC over a stock narrow body SC when my brother bought it, but definitely lost most of what he spent on the conversion (which is of very high quality by a guy in our area that does exceptional work).
Old 01-29-2005, 04:01 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I didn't have a digital camera at the time, so the only pics I have of this car are scanned in prints. It's a shame, these don't do the car justice.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:19 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

The slantnose fenders were steel bought from a guy in Oklahoma who fabricated them and the steel rear flares. The boxed rockers were also steel. Paint was done in original lght blue metalllic. The suspension was set up by air cooled classics. There was a Paxton supercharger, by superchargers of Knoxville, the first guys doing SC kits for 911s. Engine mods totaled about 18k. I had receipts for more than 50k in addition to the price of the car. It dynoed over 400HP to the rear wheels on pump gas. I never did get it on a dyno with race gas, though I ran it a couple of times with the MSD cranked to full spark. The only problem was the transmission. I had to hold it first and sometimes second at full throttle. From third on, it was scary on the street. I had no choice but to sell it at the time and the buyer got it for almost nothing. He had never owned a P-car, was about 25, and I told him very little about what was done to the car. He was going to give me first shot at buying it back for the same price when he got ready to sell. I moved, he moved and we lost touch. I looked the car up in carfax and it has changed hands twice since and is now registered in Michigan. Does anyone have any connections at the MI DMV? Or does anyone know of a way to find the current owner with the VIN? I keep buying Porsches to satisfy that longing, but even the 996 doesn't do it for me the way that car did. Although it is a great car.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

and it has changed hands twice since and is now registered in Michigan.
smshirk,
You may want to try contacting Michigan PCA Regions DE chairs, concours etc to see if anyone knows the car. It'll take some leg work, but certainly doable, esp if you are a PCA member.
regards,
Steve
Old 01-30-2005, 06:27 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I am a PCA member and sent an email to the local PCA president in MI. I did receive a response but so far no luck locating the owner. I have posted all over the place and put pictures in all the forums. hopefully it will show up one day. That is why I started posting all over the place. I had never been on rennlist or any other forum until late last year, even though i've been driving Porsches for years. most of the forums are pretty good, but I've noticed the newer the model of the forum of interest, the less friendly and helpful people are. Go figure.

I just hope it is being taken care of properly, even if I never get it back.

Quick Reply: Turbo-Look: Worth the extra money?