Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rev's drop when oil cap removed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:13 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev's drop when oil cap removed.

My 83 SC runs superb in every way but I was just wondering how much the revs should drop when the oil filler cap is removed to check the oil?
I understand a drop is normal but mine drops from about 800 RPM to around 400.
It can even stall if the cap is left off for some time!

Any thoughts, opinions?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 08:05 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RPM drop...

My 78 SC targa does the very same thing but I generally don't run it very long with the oil cap removed. My presumption is that depressurizing the crankcase has some effect on the PCV system, maybe letting air into the intake system that bypasses the mixture control.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:20 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds normal Doug although you could increase your general tickover speed to 850/900 rpm.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:53 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Thanks, that's one more 911 0wnership worry I can tick off
Old 07-23-2004, 09:03 PM
spaceman
Intermediate

Yup, the rpms drop. Note that the correct way to check the oil level is with the car warmed up, running, and parked on a level surface.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:41 PM
spyderman
Instructor

um, yea, i had this problem also, i even went as far as to check the CO with taking the cap off and on. with the cap off the CO dropped about three percent. this is caused by EXCESSIIVE blowby vapors being burned, the car will actually run on these vapors, when you take the cap off, all the vapors go out into the atmosphere, and the car leans out, and will stall. Do a compression and leakdown check, and see what kind of leakage your getting. its probably not the best, and almost time for some new pistons and cylinders.

-Ken
Old 07-24-2004, 02:57 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've come across many 911s and all I've seen with CIS based induction drop revs when the oil cap is removed it has nothing at all to do with worn parts and that's not an opinion it's based on years of ownership and being around mechanics and other owners. The 911 dry sump oil system is pressurised; when you remove the oil filler cap the vacuum pressure is effectively dropped and as the CIS system is a part of the this whole cycle so revs are affected. The importance of maintaining this vacuum is referred to in my 1978SC owners handbook, when in the section telling the owner how to check the oil it reads '....a loose cap will cause a rough engine idle....' well if a loose filler cap will cause a rough idle guess what happens when you remove it!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Completely normal.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:58 PM
DonMo
Advanced

That is completely normal for a Pcar. There is a vacuum to the oil resevoir. The overflow hose has a small restrictor in it that keeps the vacuum from tanking all the way but the idle definetely drops. If the restrictor is gone, the car will actually stall out. You can get around it by using a set of vise crips or a clamp and pinch the hose closed. Don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Rev's drop when oil cap removed.