Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C fan flow increase ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004 | 01:57 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Default A/C fan flow increase ???

Finally got my A/C to work on my 78 SC (3,2 engine with Nippondenso comp. and 2 condensers. Still got the original 78 dash with small vents. Only the middle ones blow cold air. Is there a way of increasing the air flow by fitting stronger fan ? Should I fit a later type 86 on dash ? Is that easy ?
Old 07-14-2004 | 05:27 PM
BHMSC
Instructor

All the SC’s have the same airflow problem. I removed the “bow tie” vent on the plenum (just forward of the console) as an experiment and found that there seems to be much more air “available” there than what actually makes it to the dash vents. Www.griffiths.com sells slick-looking “Kuehl vents” that connect to the “bow tie” but it’s they’re little pricey (of course, you can’t get them anywhere else). If I ever decide to make the investment required to make my A/C functional again (barrier hoses that don’t leak freon and rotary compressor - total parts cost $1200 or so), I have a couple of nice Audi 4000 Quattro dash vents, one of which should be adaptable to the bow tie.

Take a look at Griffiths for some ideas - he’s a knowledgeable, nice guy who answers the phone himself. There are several others in the business selling retrofit fixes for Porsche’s A/C shortcomings as well. Regardless of what you do, however, it may never be as good as a typical Japanese beater.

My solution for the time being - open the windows and listen to the motor (which runs cooler without the A/C as well). Unfortunately, I don’t run any cooler if I get stuck in traffic on those 90+ degree days. Then I’m sweatin' like a pig.
Old 07-16-2004 | 03:48 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Thanks BHMSC. Unfortunately I live quite far from the US. I am in the town of 2004 Olympics. Athens Greece. That's why I was asking for an easier solution off the Porsche parts bin. I thought the later cars 86 on had stronger fans and larger vents which could be interchangeable. Thanks anyway
Old 07-17-2004 | 01:04 AM
wwest
Drifting

If you haven't already, then remove the blower and fan and clean the squirrel cage blower vanes very thoroughly. You might be amazed at how much this improves the flow. Clean it at least once a year.
Old 07-17-2004 | 03:05 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

How easy is this to perform ? Where do I have access to it from ? Is this under the dash ?
Old 07-19-2004 | 07:04 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

The fan is in the 'smugglers box' which is in the trunk under the hatch. The evap is also there under the fan. I am also interested in experiences taking that blower out and cleaning as I intend to do that as well. I also want to clean the evaporator of any obstructing debris/lint/etc. that may be cutting airflow. You can clean [easily] the intake area which is under/behind the pass floorboard. Careful to not damage fins on the evap in there though.

todd
86 coupe

Quick Reply: A/C fan flow increase ???