Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pelican Parts Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Mal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pelican Parts Customer Service

Do Wayne and Tom still run Pelican Parts? I am having uncharacteristically poor...meaning no response... from Pelican Customer Service about a problem that is more than six months old. Wondering if this is an isolated instance or if it is time to find a new parts house.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:07 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you try to email Wayne directly? They've been in the middle of moving their facilities over the past few months, and I think that maybe they've had some personel changes too. Maybe it just got "lost in the shuffle", but I'm sure Wayne would get it resolved.

Keith
Old 07-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default Pelican Parts

Currently Tom is on vacation and Wayne is out of the office working on his new (BMW 101) book soon to be released in the fall. Should you require immediate assistance contact me directly at: eli@pelicanparts.com

Thanks again,

-Eli
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just placed a sizable order with Pelican, and was happy about many things, but the order sat for 7 days waiting on a small part. Once it was sent, it was missing a part (and also I had accidentally ordered a single h4 screw instead of a pair). They did send it out 2nd day air, at 70% freight discount, which I appreciate.

The toughest part was trying to get through on the phone, or get emails responded to. One email took 36 hours! This was for a status check, and an order change.

Not to knock Pelican, I am mostly happy with my order. It's just I got the whole pile of stuff, around $600 worth, three weeks from my order time, rather than a week, which would have been better. And, I paid for 2nd day air. Oh well
Old 07-10-2004, 12:13 AM
nullH20
Advanced

I have noticed order turnaround has been much slower in the past 6 months that it used to be. I assume alot is to do with the relocation.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:03 AM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by dma550
The toughest part was trying to get through on the phone, or get emails responded to. One email took 36 hours!
Wayne has mentioned in the past that the volume of spam they get has made email nearly unusable as a means of communication. My company blocks about 10,000 emails a day (and probably nearly as many get through) for ~400 users, so I certainly understand the problem.

Tom
Old 07-10-2004, 02:08 AM
lewis9113.2
Instructor

I have placed two recent orders with Pelican and the turnaround was excellent......and I am based in New Zealand.

Parts arrived via Express Air (3-5 days) at very reasonable shipping charges. When you compare to sellers on ebay, many sellers load the shipping charges to the extreme which to me isn't too far....

Trouble is these days when we place orders for anything, we want our stuff and we want it now.....! :-)

Another thing; Pelican are, as far as I can tell, one of the cheapest sources for parts so if there is a delay then I would weight this against what the parts might cost elsewhere...

Cheers all
James
Old 07-12-2004, 10:05 AM
mamoroso
Racer

I am very pleased with Pelican Parts. I have now ordered several times from them. Everytime I received all the items in time.
Once I ordered a 911 valve adjustment tool (screw-driver with hex head inciorporated). After trying to use the tool whilst adjusting the valves and realizing there was not enough room in the engine compartment for it to be effective I wrote an email to Pelican just to inform them that the tool was useless unless you had the engine out.
2 days after I sent the email I received a reply from Wayne saying that the tool is indeed useless for a 911, that it should have not been in the 911 catalog and that if I sent it back they would credit me the money.
I thought this was TOP service, especially as I had tried to use the tool and it was all covered in grease.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:35 PM
porsche_911_s
Track Day

It probably depends on who you talk to or deal with. I have had no problems with the orders and the first couple of times I called I had salesman go out of their way to fax me a fuel diagram. But last week I called and I had one of the salesman "talk down" to me.... which is a big no no. I was on hold for a very long time, so perhaps they are just getting slammed during the summer.

-Stephen
Old 07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

They've expanded and hired new people so there are growth pains also.

I had a real problem a month or so ago, and after trying manfully I finally gave up and ordered from Perf. Products. Before that I'd used Pelican for years with great success.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:32 PM
jet911
Pro

I just received an order last week from PP. I ordered it on Sat. via the internet and received the order on Wed. , same time as always, quick.

The only issue I had was a couple of months ago when I returned a part that I found out I did not need. It took about 7 calls and nearly a month to get a credit on my card. Other than that, I've ordered several times and have been very happy.

Good luck!

Last edited by jet911; 07-13-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Smile Pelican Parts

This is good feedback to look at and at times Pelican Parts is under the gun to fulfill all order on time. Unfortunately Pelican deals with so many vendors that not every item that is selected on each order is in stock each and every time.

Pelican Parts currently offers over 20,000 items in the online catalog along with all the special order items that are not listed.

E-mail have since been a problem due to SPAM, fortunately we are working on a new system that should help remedy this problem within the next few months.

That old expression holds true in every line of business “When it rains it pours”, for Pelican the call volume is as such. Some periods in the day are clam and quiet and others are loud and busy!!! It’s during this time that we ask for your patience and understanding. Most seasoned customers simply choose to call back in a few minutes.

Staffing is difficult because we want to keep cost low and in order to do so that means maintaining a staff level that is sufficient for the call volume. For those local customers of Pelican it is preferred that all items be pre-ordered; when customers stop and want to chat it takes a man off the phones……

I appreciate any form of feedback both good and bad; without it things may go on unnoticed…..

-Eli
Old 07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
k911sc
Intermediate

just not what things used to be. i agree with the growing pains take above. worst thing about me recent $200 order, no sticker!

all in all with the bbs and my foresight to order parts before the project it works out in the end.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Free stickers and CD-ROMs all day long! ! !

Ask and you shall receive..........(PM your name)

-Eli
Old 07-13-2004, 06:43 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Eli -- I'd like to be able to have the littel Pelican icon identify that URL in IE6 and otehr browsers. (ie when I save ti as a favorite, it would get that instead of the blue "e"). Any chance of you guys doing that?

Quick Reply: Pelican Parts Customer Service