Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pelican Parts Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:22 PM
webini
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered this weekend and had no problems with service.

There is an issue with the confirmation e-Mail though. Both messages I got from Pelican were dated 12/31/1969 7:00PM. This caused both messages to fall to the bottom of my inbox since I sort by date.

Minor issue but it may cross up some people.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:09 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Eli,

I am impressed with the knowledge and depth of parts available at Pelican, and Wayne's books are simply indispensable.

However, It is sometimes hard to buy from you as your prices are somewhat higher than i can get from other vendors for the same high quality (OEM or better) parts. I did some major engine work and an external oil cooler in the past two years, and I had to go with other quotes.

The folks @ Pelican are always a pleasure to deal with.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Smile Pelican Parts

We understand and don’t promote to be “the low price leader” we simple feel that the information and support we provide will bring dedicated customers our way. We currently staff 3 catalog members that are constantly working the site on various updates and site related projects. “No too many Porsche sites can compete with the volume of content on our site”.

We will certainly look at price comparisons of other competitors if called upon to do so but we can’t guarantee it. We can’t always compete with closeouts or volume buy outs/ downs but we’ll do our best.

If you’re looking to save a few bucks then I would recommend doing the homework and showing up to class with your notes; we will then assist you in whichever way we can.

Let me know if I could have anyone of my guys look into things for you…..

-Eli
Old 07-15-2004, 01:13 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Eli,

I understand and agree regarding closeout pricing, etc.
And there is no question about the quality of your web content. Kudos on your efforts in educating the community!

Honestly, it never occurred to me to haggle about price. I did indeed do my homework, sending spreadsheets to at least five suppliers c/w with application and P/Ns to prevent apples to oranges problems. This was for internal engine work and some parts i needed to install a Carerra cooler on the car. I found that some quotes were both higher and lower on individual items, but in total, were very close. Pelican, on the other hand was consistently high on virtually all prices. I still have the files.

Again, I mention this as input, not criticism.

At this time, the work is done, the parts installed and the fun part--driving the darn thing--is happening now. however, if (when) another large order is needed I will certainly ask the good folks @ Pelican for a quote.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by DGaunt
Thanks for the reply Eli,

I understand and agree regarding closeout pricing, etc.
And there is no question about the quality of your web content. Kudos on your efforts in educating the community!

Honestly, it never occurred to me to haggle about price. I did indeed do my homework, sending spreadsheets to at least five suppliers c/w with application and P/Ns to prevent apples to oranges problems. This was for internal engine work and some parts i needed to install a Carerra cooler on the car. I found that some quotes were both higher and lower on individual items, but in total, were very close. Pelican, on the other hand was consistently high on virtually all prices. I still have the files.

Again, I mention this as input, not criticism.

At this time, the work is done, the parts installed and the fun part--driving the darn thing--is happening now. however, if (when) another large order is needed I will certainly ask the good folks @ Pelican for a quote.
Thanks Dave!

The majority of our customers seem to shop around during those large purchases, then the come back to us to see what we can do. If we can do something while still making a buck or two we'll do it but if we can't then we'll let you "they buyer" know.

I want to wish you luck in your projects and hope you'll continue to find our site useful in your future projects!

-Eli

Old 07-15-2004, 03:15 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a part missing from my order, but clearly stated as "packed" on the packing list. I called them, and half-expected a runaround, because how could I prove it wasn't in there? Welll, they immediately shipped the part the next day...no questions asked, and even gave an apology for the inconvenience. I really value that kind of service.

Than, another part I'd ordered was defective and broke while I tried to install it. Again, with no argument, they took the part back for replacement.

I'd definitely will continue to buy my 911 parts from these guys. The prices seem fair, and while I may be able to shop around and save $10 here or there, who wants the headache when you have a problem? (My two problems could well have cost me over $150 to rectify, for example.) Highly recommended!!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:41 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the consensus is every business makes mistakes but the Pelican people aim to get it right where possible and provide a generally excellent service and that's without mentioning the forum.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've placed 2 orders online w/ Pelican in the last 6 weeks ($100 - 200 each) and both orders took 3 - 4 days longer than they have in the past (I'm right coast). Even the order status online info was delayed. The info on the relocation would maybe explain it but when I needed a part quickly I ordered from another vendor. I still buy from Pelican though their prices are a little higher though nowhere as high as the dealer's.

However, Eli. What is the diff. between "This part typically ships out the next or 2nd business day" and "part usually ships in 24 business hours"? Does 24 business hours mean 3rd business day?

Bill
Old 07-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Smile Pelican Parts

Originally posted by motonut
I've placed 2 orders online w/ Pelican in the last 6 weeks ($100 - 200 each) and both orders took 3 - 4 days longer than they have in the past (I'm right coast). Even the order status online info was delayed. The info on the relocation would maybe explain it but when I needed a part quickly I ordered from another vendor. I still buy from Pelican though their prices are a little higher though nowhere as high as the dealer's.

However, Eli. What is the diff. between "This part typically ships out the next or 2nd business day" and "part usually ships in 24 business hours"? Does 24 business hours mean 3rd business day?

Bill

Bill,

In general we like for our customers to have a general idea of the time line that we are working with on each and every one of our 20,000 + parts we have on our site. We truly understand that at times there are discrepancies due to various reason, here are just a few.

Vender out of stock
Part no longer available
Part temporarily unavailable
Shipper caused delay
Unforeseen order volume
Vendor shipped wrong part(s) to us
Vendor shipped out wrong quantity to us
Vendor caused delay

All and more of these reasons will cause us to react. By react I mean we look for alternate sources to find you the parts you need in your order even if it means cutting into our margin (as often is the case).

We hope that we haven’t raised the bar for ourselves by giving out “ESTIMATED SHIP DATES”, but we feel that it’s a very useful tool for most customers. Some of our customers feel that this is a guarantee; it is simply our best estimation of the normal ship times (over 95% accurate). I would also add that we send out countless amounts of orders ahead of their “estimated ship dates”.

BTW: 24 hours usually implies “Item will ship by the following business day etc. (Just think of it as shipping: 1-Day indicates Next Day and etc.)

We strive to provide our customers with the service and quality that they’ve learned to expect. I hope I’ve helped answer all of your questions.

-Eli
Old 07-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Eli, thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand that there are many things out of your control esp. when you don't have the part in stock. The only reason I pointed out my recient experience is it was 2 orders (for me) in a row, very unusual from my past dealings w/ you. I wasn't pi**ed, I will still do business w/ P.

As for the "24 Business hours" is next day, ok, that's just an unusual way to phrase it.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 07-19-2004, 11:37 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by eli at P
Free stickers and CD-ROMs all day long! ! !

Ask and you shall receive..........(PM your name)

-Eli
Eli - thanks for popping in on this thread..!!!

I'll update your title in a minute..

For the rest - if you have a problem with reaching Pelican, I can tell you - they are busy. I know Wayne and Tom, and they have been terrific to Rennlisters over the past 8+ years - and were one of the very first Rennlist Sponsors, ever.... In fact - a little known fact is - while Wayne was starting up and I was starting Porschelist/Rennlist - we used to chat about once a week, when we both had "real jobs and lives" . I will tell you - Wayne CARES about each and every customer, new and old alike..

Eli - thanks for posting in this thread!!! Please send my best to all at Pelican!

John D.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Eli at Pelican,

Maybe you can help me with an order I have in house. I placed the order last Wednesday night and it was logged in by Tom on Thursday morning. There is not an update since then and now Monday is behind us.

I am not sure if it will ship tomorrow, or if one or more parts are temporarily out of stock, but it does leave me guessing whether it will ship sooner or later. I think I ordered about 10-12 items.

Also, it will not retrieve my order using my e-mail address-phone-zip, only if I use the order number.

Any help would be appreciated,

Blaine Sellie
Old 07-20-2004, 03:59 AM
RS'd '73S
Advanced

What's up Blaine
Old 07-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default Q & A

Blain,

At a quick glance I see that your order is missing two items of 16 in your order. I'll pass this to the purchasing manager to get an explaination.... I'm sure they've been ordered through an alternate vendor already.

But I'll send you an E-mail update later in the day "directly"....

-Eli

Johh: Thanks for the update....
Old 07-20-2004, 02:32 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eli at P.

Maybe you can help too. I ordered $900 worth of porsche parts for my 78SC which includes the basic maitenance kit for a 78SC. I received a turbo fuel filter in the kit, which did not fit my 78SC. Can I get the right fuel filter and how much is it gonna cost me?. This is the second time I ordered from PP. In general, PP has been very helpful. However, there is a salesman name John? that I always seems to catch him on a bad day. He was always very condescending and drives me off to order from Vertex a couples of times. Must be the same guy other poster is talking about. At first, I thought because of my asian accent that turned him off, but it looks like he is just a bad salesman. Andrew

Quick Reply: Pelican Parts Customer Service