Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cross Country Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:49 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cross Country Trip

I am preparing to be the new owner of a 1987 non-turbo Carrera Coupe with 119K miles. If it passes the PPI and I purchase it, I will be driving it from Chicago, Illinois to Fairbanks, Alaska, approximately 5K miles. I would greatly appreciate any wisdom regarding what to bring with me in order to be prepared. I have some concern about the alternator since there is no way of knowing how many miles are on it. I understand that once it's done and begins overcharging the battery, it needs to be replaced immediately. should I bring one just in case? Will a "works great" assessment from the mechanic on the alternator be sufficient?
Thanks - der Mond
Fairbanks, Alaska
Old 07-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Der Mond, you never know. one day it works, the next day it doesn't. How long is that trip Mileage that is?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:18 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That's not an alternator failure, it's a voltage regulator failure. And you can overcome the problem for a quite long time and/or distance(**) by turning on all electrical loads, headlamps, etc, and keeping the engine RPM as low as possible.

** Cannon Beach OR to Seattle in the case of my 88.

I assume you plan on storing it during the winter months in Fairbanks. The 911 heating system is infamous for not being exactly up-to-snuff, impossible to keep the windshield defogged, and mine gets stored even here in Seattle.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:25 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You will probably be fine. I would post route information here (and also on the Pelican BBS) about your route, and you'll probably discover helpful DIY-ers all along the way. Bring fuses, spare DME relay, spare throttle and clutch cables (does a Carrera have a clutch cable?), spare belts, light bulbs, and maybe one of those plug-in-the-lighter voltmeters (would it show if the voltage regulator was failing, like the poster describes?). Credit card and a cell phone would also be a good idea.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well...you are definitely doing the right thing by getting the PPI. Hopefully nothing alarming comes up during the inspection! Don't forget a few quarts of Castrol GTX. The smile comes with the car.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my 87 on long trips all the time.... If you're really concerned about the alternator, just pick up a regulator (which replaces the brushes at the same time). It's a rather involved job to swap it on the roadside, so I'd second the recommendations for just limping along if it fails. Truth is, if it fails the battery will act as a regulator as it boils ;-) I drove with a bad one for about 6 months before it failed to start! Now I have a new regulator and a spiral cell battery... I carry a DME relay, a couple of spare red and black relays (I think they're 25A and 10A), a set of fuses, and most importantly, a good spare fan belt. I also take a few quarts of 20w50 along since many small gas stations don't have it on the shelf. Make sure the little porsche tool kit is in the car (near the spare tire) since it has the necessary tools to replace a belt if you're stuck out on the highway. The tool kit should have a spare fan belt in it, but just make sure it's in good shape. Also, make sure there's a tire compressor in there. With the donut spare, you must have a compressor that works.

So far, I've never had to use any of this stuff on the road, but I believe in the Boy Scout motto!

ell
Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll want to bring along a sexy long legged co-pilot for some company.

...and some oil.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:06 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the full coverage with towing reimbursement too! LIst of shops along the way never hurts. Camera to document and when you get home post pics.

Allegedly the alternators only last 40K or so - this info was gleaned from the 911 buyer's guide by Randy Leffingwell. If your mileage is at a factor of 40K pay for replacement and get the old one rebuilt when you get home. Problem solved. Oil change, and a case of 20-50 to take along with you. Make sure you understand the routine on how to check the oil. Good time to figure out your actual usage so you know what to expect eventually

And, I think the 87 has a hydraulic clutch...

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cross Country Trip

It's a 5000 mile trip. I'm handy with a wrench but new to the 911. Are y'all saying that the regulator can and should be changed independent of the alternator? I take it it's attached to the alternator since it contains brushes... Perhaps limping along is the best strategy... Thanks, guys.

Quick Reply: Cross Country Trip