Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Classic Oil - anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 04:38 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Porsche Classic Oil - anyone used it?

Has anyone used the Porsche Classic Motor Oil in their air-cooled 911?

Has anyone done the oil analysis and seen good results?

I saw (of course) a Porsche engineer talk about how the 10W-60 Porsche Classic Motoroil was specifically engineered for our cars.

Following advice on this forum and elsewhere I’m currently using PENN GRADE 1 71196 Synthetic Blend High Performance Oil SAE 20W-50.

One key reason why I’m asking before trying the a Porsche Classic oil is cost:
  • $120 for 8 qts for the Porsche oil
  • $67 for the Pennzoil

Maybe some of you have worked out that the Porsche oil is the same as another oil from another manufacturer?

Last edited by eggsandwich; 08-13-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2024, 05:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Porsche doesnt have a refinery ,, its just being marked up by them and made and packaged by Mobil likely .

There will always be those who drink the kool-aid. but the metal Porsche engines are made with is the same metal Audi and VW use.. as well as every other manufacturer out there.

Penn grade is perfect. I rebuilt my engine after 250k km using it ,, machinist cleaned the heads, but new seals and and said go away, zero wear.

cool can for garage art though.
The following users liked this post:
eggsandwich (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 05:26 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Porsche doesnt have a refinery ,, its just being marked up by them and made and packaged by Mobil likely .

There will always be those who drink the kool-aid. but the metal Porsche engines are made with is the same metal Audi and VW use.. as well as every other manufacturer out there.

Penn grade is perfect. I rebuilt my engine after 250k km using it ,, machinist cleaned the heads, but new seals and and said go away, zero wear.

cool can for garage art though.
Yes on the design of the can!! Porsche knows how to make things look so nice that I want to pay for something I know is actually half the price!
Old 08-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 246 Posts

Been using it since it came out in the mid 2010’s. I buy through FCP Euro and return the old oil and get 100% credit for the oil, filter, crush rings, and drain plugs. Shipping cost about $40 so that’s what I pay for 10 liters, the filters and plugs/washers each time I change the oil. I do it every 5K miles or one year.

Is it better? I haven’t done an analysis, but if Porsche markets it and sells it I will go out on a limb and say they wouldn’t sell you something that was junk. It’s overpriced, but when you don’t pay for it with FCP Euro lifetime replacement, does it matter?

Good luck!
eggsandwich (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 05:50 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Been using it since it came out in the mid 2010’s. I buy through FCP Euro and return the old oil and get 100% credit for the oil, filter, crush rings, and drain plugs. Shipping cost about $40 so that’s what I pay for 10 liters, the filters and plugs/washers each time I change the oil. I do it every 5K miles or one year.

Is it better? I haven’t done an analysis, but if Porsche markets it and sells it I will go out on a limb and say they wouldn’t sell you something that was junk. It’s overpriced, but when you don’t pay for it with FCP Euro lifetime replacement, does it matter?

Good luck!
Do you genuinely return used oil? The ethics seem sketchy on that one…
Old 08-13-2024, 05:56 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

I’ve been doing it for almost two years with FCP on all four of our Porsches. I replace cabin air filters every year, wiper blades every six months as well. I also have replaced engine air filters on three of the four cars. They also take back worn out brake pads, rotors, clutches, spark plugs, fuel filters, etc. Pretty much anything. The store credit show up on my account and I purchase the next round of parts, oil, etc. Saved quite a bit of money as we put a ton of miles on our cars each year. Oil is easily returned via the postal service. It is sent ground and is non-flammable and legal. I bought a box of large ziploc bags and triple bag the oil.

Not sure what you mean by ethics…mine or theirs?
eggsandwich (Yesterday)
Old 08-13-2024, 06:12 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

I only knew about auto zone oil return where the “credit” is sketchy in that some branches gave me credit for the return and others made it seem like they were doing me a favor by doing it and didn’t give me anything.
Old 08-13-2024, 06:18 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

It’s the real deal. You get store credit. For instance, buy your oil, filter, and crush rings and pay for it. When it is time to change your oil the second time, go online and order the same products and pay for them. When you return the old oil, filter, and crush rings, go on their website and request a lifetime replacement. The website takes you to the page of all your previous orders and you just select the previous order and enter your VIN. That will generate a return form. Package it up, throw the return form in the box, and ship. Within 48 hours of them receiving the parts/oil, they credit the amount of the first purchase to your store credit. Each time after, do the same, use the store credit to buy the next oil change materials or use it to buy something else. Just return it in the original oil jugs and cardboard containers. It’s all on their website. Good luck!
eggsandwich (Yesterday)
Old 08-13-2024, 10:09 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Because you asked, here it is. Don't ask me what any of the numbers really mean because I don't know nor do I overly concern myself with them. I run a different oil for my own reasons.
Old 08-14-2024, 05:06 AM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
Because you asked, here it is. Don't ask me what any of the numbers really mean because I don't know nor do I overly concern myself with them. I run a different oil for my own reasons.
Thanks.
Does anyone have Lake Speed's number? Need to make sense of this.

Repositng from that thread...from the Porsche Classic Oil flyer:
10W-60 for 911 models with a displacement of 3.0 litres or more.
From 3.0-litre engines with drysump lubrication upwards, the air-cooled six-cylinder flat engines of the 911 are suitable
for use with fully synthetic oil and thus benefit from the advances in oil development technology
Old 08-14-2024, 03:36 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by eggsandwich
Has anyone used the Porsche Classic Motor Oil in their air-cooled 911?

Has anyone done the oil analysis and seen good results?

I saw (of course) a Porsche engineer talk about how the 10W-60 Porsche Classic Motoroil was specifically engineered for our cars.

Following advice on this forum and elsewhere I’m currently using PENN GRADE 1 71196 Synthetic Blend High Performance Oil SAE 20W-50.

One key reason why I’m asking before trying the a Porsche Classic oil is cost:
  • $120 for 8 qts for the Porsche oil
  • $67 for the Pennzoil

Maybe some of you have worked out that the Porsche oil is the same as another oil from another manufacturer?
Not if this oil analysis is correct, which I have no reason to doubt

1) your owners manual calls for straight 30 or 20w-50 or 15w50 or 15w-40, not 10w/60
2) our engines want a min of ~1000ppm Z and ~1200ppm P, not 851 & 1010as the analysis shows
there are many good oils w/ all the proper specs
M1 15w -50 or even 0w -40

I don't think it's available any longer but Brad Penn was great even if it's not synth, I'm hoarding my last 2 cases and throw a qt in if low

Old 08-14-2024, 05:52 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

If you are saying you shouldn’t use Porsche 10W-60 oil, which Porsche specifically says is engineered for the 3.2L air-cooled cars, because the owners manual, which was published 30+ years prior to the existence of Porsche’s 10W-60, that seems like a difficult argument to defend.

Also, my 88 911 3.2 owner’s manual says to change the oil every 15,000 miles. If you quote the owner’s manual, do you assert 15K mile oil changes are ok?

Finally, why pay more for Penzoil ($67) when the 10W-60 is free plus the $40 shipping back to FCP Euro?

I used Brad Penn for a while, but the labeling specifically stated that it was harmful to catalytic converters so when the 10W-60 came along, it was an easy switch.

Do folks really believe Porsche would market a targeted model oil and purposely make it not right for our engines? I can see them overcharging by double without batting an eye, but I don’t know you could convince me the oil is not 100% suitable for the engine.
eggsandwich (Yesterday)
Old 08-14-2024, 06:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are saying you shouldn’t use Porsche 10W-60 oil, which Porsche specifically says is engineered for the 3.2L air-cooled cars, because the owners manual, which was published 30+ years prior to the existence of Porsche’s 10W-60, that seems like a difficult argument to defend.

Also, my 88 911 3.2 owner’s manual says to change the oil every 15,000 miles. If you quote the owner’s manual, do you assert 15K mile oil changes are ok?

Finally, why pay more for Penzoil ($67) when the 10W-60 is free plus the $40 shipping back to FCP Euro?

I used Brad Penn for a while, but the labeling specifically stated that it was harmful to catalytic converters so when the 10W-60 came along, it was an easy switch.

Do folks really believe Porsche would market a targeted model oil and purposely make it not right for our engines? I can see them overcharging by double without batting an eye, but I don’t know you could convince me the oil is not 100% suitable for the engine.
The engineers that designed the engine 30 -40 yrs ago knew a thing or two,

The current Porsche branded oil is pure marketing and profit center from rubes that don't know know better and it also fits the historical pattern of Porsche recommending what's best for them not necessarily what's best for the owner

anecdotally a cardiologist fried(whiz at hearts knows diddly about mechanics) switched to a well know 10w-50 brand w/ similar ZDDP specs to the Porsche 10w-60 in his brand new 964(this was back in the day when oil was changing due to EPA mandates and no one knew better except the engine builders) he needed a rebuild in less than 2 years

yes, ZDDP is harmful to cats which was why the EPA mandated it's reduction is the light weight oil lines but not in the heavier weight lines our cars use. The heavier lines makeup was left to the oil manufacturers discretion. This is why there is such variance today.

The low ZDDP lite weight oils are all identified by the Starburst label while the heavier non EPA spec'd oils have the older donut labels
Starburst

Donut

just because some oils are ZDDP lite doesn't mean that your older engines changed magically and doesn't need it.

But it's your engine do what ever you want w/ it.
Old 08-14-2024, 06:22 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The engineers that designed the engine 30 -40 yrs ago knew a thing or two,

The current Porsche branded oil is pure marketing and profit center from rubes that don't know know better and it also fits the historical pattern of Porsche recommending what's best for them not necessarily what's best for the owner

anecdotally a cardiologist fried(whiz at hearts knows diddly about mechanics) switched to a well know 10w-50 brand w/ similar ZDDP specs to the Porsche 10w-60 in his brand new 964(this was back in the day when oil was changing due to EPA mandates and no one knew better except the engine builders) he needed a rebuild in less than 2 years

yes, ZDDP is harmful to cats which was why the EPA mandated it's reduction is the light weight oil lines but not in the heavier weight lines our cars use. The heavier lines makeup was left to the oil manufacturers discretion. This is why there is such variance today.

The low ZDDP lite weight oils are all identified by the Starburst label while the heavier non EPA spec'd oils have the older donut labels
Starburst

Donut

just because some oils are ZDDP lite doesn't mean that your older engines changed magically and doesn't need it.

But it's your engine do what ever you want w/ it.

That’s some good info, thanks.

Anecdotally, with an engineering degree and 7000+ hours flying helicopters, which don’t fly unless the lubrication is right, so I risk my life every day understanding engine/transmission oils as well as hydraulic fluid to include time and hour change intervals, metal impurities, indications of lubrication breakdown, etc. I have 8 years and 30K miles of using Porsche's 10W-60 snake oil. I drove it in Germany for three years spending dozens of hours in 5th gear at 6200 RPM at over 140 mph at the bottom of the red arc on the Autobahn and countless hours above 100 mph. For the last 7 years, I have been almost daily driving the car in very hot Alabama with the a/c running hard, so I am working the engine and oil with no issues. I change the oil every 5000 miles or every year.

Should I observe the owner’s manual and go 15,000 miles between oil changes?

So Porsche knows what they are doing with engine oil recommendations from 37 years ago, but they are also rubes trying to take my money? Is it neither or both? But they get zero from me as I don’t pay for the oil, not a penny. Just return shipping. But Brad Penn and other oil manufacturers are pure of purpose and care only about the condition of our engines, and not profit?
Old 08-14-2024, 08:04 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

That’s some good info, thanks.

Anecdotally, with an engineering degree and 7000+ hours flying helicopters, which don’t fly unless the lubrication is right, so I risk my life every day understanding engine/transmission oils as well as hydraulic fluid to include time and hour change intervals, metal impurities, indications of lubrication breakdown, etc. I have 8 years and 30K miles of using Porsche's 10W-60 snake oil. I drove it in Germany for three years spending dozens of hours in 5th gear at 6200 RPM at over 140 mph at the bottom of the red arc on the Autobahn and countless hours above 100 mph. For the last 7 years, I have been almost daily driving the car in very hot Alabama with the a/c running hard, so I am working the engine and oil with no issues. I change the oil every 5000 miles or every year.

Should I observe the owner’s manual and go 15,000 miles between oil changes?

So Porsche knows what they are doing with engine oil recommendations from 37 years ago, but they are also rubes trying to take my money? Is it neither or both? But they get zero from me as I don’t pay for the oil, not a penny. Just return shipping. But Brad Penn and other oil manufacturers are pure of purpose and care only about the condition of our engines, and not profit?
good for you, and good luck in the future, I suspect that you will need it.

companies change and since the early 2000s the street car oil recs have been more from marketing and logistics than engineering

sort of an apples to oranges comparison but guess what oil is used in the race cars like Cup and RSR, It's not one of the Porsche branded ones

M10w-40

that's fine oil for the late cars(2000s up) designed for the lower ZDDP oils but not one of the better choices for street cars designed and built in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s

your car you decide on change intervals

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Oil - anyone used it?