Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:47 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Sealing Waxing

I need your help guys.

I am a mechanical guy. I am not knowledgable about body and things cosmetic. Also because of a serious illness last year the old car has not had the surface care it is accustomed to. True, the kids have moved out too....LOL.

This is a '76 911S, Peru Red, OE paint for the most part.

Some surfaces, notably the deck lid and rear bumper are oxidized pretty noticeably. The paint is thin in some areas due to over zealous compounding when the car was in California.

I have a random orbit polisher, but have no idea how what to use....Cleaner, clay bar, mild compound? how to apply? etc.

Any advice on the best products to get this cleaned up and prevent its return would be appreciated, either directly or by pointing me to a web site.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Old 06-25-2004, 06:52 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

meguiars.com -- and call their 800# re the thin paint. They will probably tell you to use Body Scrub first.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:21 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would stay away from the orbital machine with any abrasives, because of the thin paint...been there on my door. Start with a "Hand Glaze" Note that it is not called "machine glaze" Do small areas at a time, and don't try to do the whole car in one day. Small areas at a time, very, very soft cloths and a back and for motion.

Also, Larry Reynolds, at http://www.carcareonline.com/
is one of the most knowledgable ppl about finishes and maintenance. His website also has "how to articles."
regards,
Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I'd agree with Steve... carcareonline.... 3M Imperial Hand Glaze would be a good start. Do some reading, autopia.com is also a good site for info.
You might also get some 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound from Wal-Mart
try it on a out of sight area, get a slightly wet cotton rag a quarter size
amount of the Fine Cut and rub lightly... you will see some Paint or oxidation comming off so do not rub too hard. Go back over the area with
some Imperial Glaze and some high quality wax like One Grand BLitz wax or whatever you like. If the test spot looks good... go for the whole car
I have used this on many Porsches and it works will if done right.
Good Luck.
Chuck
Old 06-26-2004, 03:14 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much for the links and the advice. I'll get on it!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:57 AM
MarkY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself some Meguires #9 and use your random orbital. You might need to clay the car first. Following that, put a good carnuba on it. I recommend Vanilla Moose. Following the carnuba, top it off with a sealant. My recommendation is EX-P.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 1988 that I just did a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a great web site that will help you with any question you have.

Autopia
Old 06-30-2004, 08:24 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, Very nice job! Thanks for the advice. Beautiful car!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
jonw440
Track Day

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

Old 07-07-2004, 07:26 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jon, I am downloading it now.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:42 PM
VS911 '83 SC
Track Day

I suggest going out to Meguiars.com. Great site with video to show you how to use the random orbital - the videos are very helpful. I've lent my orbital to several people and always have them take a look at the site before they do domething stupid!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well as I say, I'm pretty uninformed about body stuuf, so I'll take your advice and try not to be stupid, at least 'til I have all the facts!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:22 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

BTW, you don't need a $200 orbital buffer. A small Porter-Cable random orbit sander with a buffing pad on it works just as well. I also contacted P/C re orbits/sec. and other things - they said it was fine. I then tried it out on a Ford Exploder, worked up to a MB M-crass SUV, and finally went to the 911 with it. Works great and I already had one. They are about $65 if you buy new.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:41 PM
jonw440
Track Day

DO NOT BUY AN orbital buffer, until you have many many hours of "junk yard practice fenders" under your belt.These are the "grinder looking buffers"
The only two other choices you have is a Random orbital buffer, like the ones you see made by "WEN" and turtle wax, that generally are $30.00.
The other choice is the Porter Cable 7424. This is as safe ad a 30.00 buffer but actually can work polish and mild buffing compound. It is $119 at www.coastaltools.com. Like I said before Please do not buy a orbital, you WILL burn paint, go through the paint on edges and door edges and just make a mess. (been there done that).
Jon
Old 07-10-2004, 04:29 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the welcome advice Jon. The buffer I have IS a random style rather than the 'grinder' style. Truth is, it has been a busy two weeks with an unexpected track day @ Shannonville and a few days visiting my son afterward, then running the Dexter event last Friday. haven't even washed the darn thing yet!

Again, thanks for all the replies. it is sincerely appreciated.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Sealing Waxing