911SC motor into early 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 03:49 PM
chuck951
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 911SC motor into early 911

Hi,

I am going to be dropping a 911SC motor into my 69 911E targa. In addition to the motor here's what I think I'll need:
(1) Clutch
(2) 901 transmission from 70-71
(3) oil tank and various lines
(4) oil cooler and lines (any recommendations? I would like to retain the right battery box if possible).
(5) 78-79 FI system
(6) Fuel pump
(7) new motor/trans mounts
(8) Fuel return to gas tank (?)
(9) Engine sheet metal (?)
What am I missing?

I'm also thinking about suspension upgrades like sway bars/shocks/torsion bars and brakes. Any suggestions? I will be running SSI exchangers and dual inlet single outlet exhaust. "Smogging" the car is not an issue. Hopefully when I'm done it will be a real sleeper.

Are there any good internet or print resources for creating a 911 hot rod? (I have BA's book which focuses on upgrading particular motors rather than shoehorning bigger motors into early cars).

Chuck
<a href="http://ourworld.cs.com/chuck21401" target="_blank">http://ourworld.cs.com/chuck21401</a>
Old 07-15-2002, 05:41 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
For oil lines, consider the Elephant Racing finned lines. They're cheaper than used sets tend to go for, and add a lot of cooling capacity to the loop.

<a href="http://www.elephantracing.com" target="_blank">http://www.elephantracing.com</a>
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-15-2002, 06:04 PM
chuck951
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by JackOlsen:
<strong>For oil lines, consider the Elephant Racing finned lines. They're cheaper than used sets tend to go for, and add a lot of cooling capacity to the loop.

<a href="http://www.elephantracing.com" target="_blank">http://www.elephantracing.com</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the tip. When installing a front cooler, does one have to sacrafice a battery box?
Old 07-15-2002, 06:43 PM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL, I'm working on a very similar project! Swapping a 3.0SC into a '66 912 that already has a six conversion. (2.0E) Your list is pretty complete. I don't think you'll lose a battery box unless you want to run the cooler lines inside the car and trunk since the factory wraps them along the outside of the unibody. As for motor mounts unless yours are shot you should be able to reuse them. Don't for get a fuel acculumator and filter to round out your fuel system. I'm actually starting work on mine this week it will be intersting to compare weight and performance between such similar "hot rods". My project ATM involves redoing the SC wiring harness keeping only what I need. I'm switching to MSD ignition and removing the AC hardware from the motor. Your SC sheet metal should work fine and yes you will need a fuel return line.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:16 AM
chuck951
Advanced

Yes, should be interesting to compare notes. My project will get started in a couple of weeks as I'm trading my 2.0E motor for an '82 3.0 motor (not an even trade though!)

I am probably going to use the oil cooler kit from BAT Inc. / MOCAL USA

<a href="http://www.batinc.net/files/kits.pdf" target="_blank">Porsche Oil Cooling</a> (see page 5) I spoke with someone at BAT and they suggested trying the cooler without cutting out the battery box and seeing how it works and perhaps adding a fan. If the motor runs too hot he suggested then removing the box to increase airflow.

I figure a 3.0 motor with early exhaust and 78-79 injection should make 200hp or so and plenty of torque.

Thanks for the tip about fuel accumulator and filter.

I was thinking about upgrading to solid motor (and trans) mounts "while I was in there."

Should be fun.

Chuck
Old 07-16-2002, 08:46 AM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

Hey Chuck, did you have any luck finding decent wiring diagrams for your SC instead of those factory current flow charts that are about as much fun as a topo map in the city? LOL. I'm using the O2 CIS that came with my motor what a pain to figure out the wiring, but hey I'm 1/3 the way their hehe.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:37 PM
chuck951
Advanced

I don't have any info about the wiring diagrams. I'm going to leave that up to my mechanic, he's going to do the heavy lifting. We are going to use a 78/79 911SC CIS injection system that does not utilize the brain box/O2 sensor. And apparently the intake runners are bigger, the system is adjustable (for mixture) and it is not as complicated.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:47 PM
chuck951
Advanced

I priced out my conversion project this afternoon and I'm already over $7K. Hmmm. Maybe it's not worth it.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:50 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

With these projects I dont think you can ever expect to get back what you put in. In a similar light I am working on restoring an MGB. I know I could buy one for a lot less than it costs to fix this one, but the work is the fun part. I think it would be a fun project to work on, but if you are working on the 911 to save money you might not get above water on the project.

Just curious who your mechanic is? Tif's is always my first choice, but when he's backed up and I'm in a pinch Ralph is the man, but kind of a drive.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:27 PM
chuck951
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Martin:
<strong>With these projects I dont think you can ever expect to get back what you put in. In a similar light I am working on restoring an MGB. I know I could buy one for a lot less than it costs to fix this one, but the work is the fun part. I think it would be a fun project to work on, but if you are working on the 911 to save money you might not get above water on the project.

Just curious who your mechanic is? Tif's is always my first choice, but when he's backed up and I'm in a pinch Ralph is the man, but kind of a drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Chris,

I'm not expecting to get back what I put into it. Hey, it is a Porsche you know. But $7K is getting into "real money" I've taken my car to Tif's occassionally but he's usually really busy. Don't have experience with Ralph, but I've heard good things, but he's a bit far away for me.
I work with an independent guy that works on Porsches in the Annapolis area.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm no Porsche expert, but if you go through with things and need an extra hand, shoot me an email.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:26 PM
chuck951
Advanced

Chris,

Email me offline about your MGB project. I know of two cars sitting in my fiance's family's auto junkyard, not sure what kind of parts you're looking for.

Chuck
Old 07-21-2002, 11:48 AM
chuck951
Advanced

Cool

I spoke with my mechanic today and the project (3.0 motor into 69 911) will not cost quite as much as I thought so I'm going for it. I'm going to take pictures throughout the project and post to my website. I hope to have the swap completed by the end of August.

Chuck
Old 07-21-2002, 11:53 AM
chuck951
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Martin:
<strong>I'm no Porsche expert, but if you go through with things and need an extra hand, shoot me an email.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey do you think you can help me determine if my car has pneumatic structs? I understand that these were stock on the 911e, but that over the years 911e owners converted back to torsion bars and conventional struts. I don't know what I'm looking at. The strut assembly is black, but there are no markings on the outside. The rear shocks are white. There is no sway bar but the A-arms do have the U tabs to mount the bar.

When I upgrade the motor I would like to stiffen up the suspension a bit.

The brakes seem to work very well. I need to pull a wheel and see what kind of calipers are installed. Could a 69 911E be ordered with 911S brakes?

Chuck
Old 07-21-2002, 03:24 PM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

Well I started my conversion yesterday. I ran into a problem right of the bat, the ear on the trans bellhousing that hold the end of the clutch cable interferes with the crossover pipe on the exhaust. Due to the location of the interference I don't think it's possible to modify the croos over so I'm switch to my early exhaust. I'll keep you informed as I progress, I should have the motor in the car today.

Quick Reply: 911SC motor into early 911