Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Key won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 11:35 AM
petekil
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Key won't turn

My '83 SC has an odd problem. When trying to start the engine, the key turns fine right up until the last little bit where it is supposed to engage the starter. It feels like there is a mechanical block in the assembly that is preventing the key from turning any further.
If I keep turning the key back and forth, it will finally get past this blockage, and then the car will start just fine. Sometimes I have to turn the key up to 20 times before it will work, other time it works on the first or second try.
Is ther a relay or some other componenet in the system that would cause this, or is there just something wrong with the ignition switch assembly?
Old 02-24-2002, 02:13 PM
gohan
Intermediate

It happened to me. Just oiling (key oil or wd40) solved it for me.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:02 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem only with the Valet key, not the other one. The Valet key looks a bit skinnier.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:33 PM
Davo
6th Gear

had the same thing on my 78SC. It was mechanical, as you mentioned, as the ignition barrel assembly wears over time. That part had to be replaced.

Dave
'78 911SC
Old 02-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
petekil,

You might try going to a Porsche dealer and having
another key cut from your cars VIN #. This way when you have it cut YOU will know if it is the key or the ignition tumbler.

Good luck

jpc
Old 02-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to differ with the last bit of advice. I had a Porsche dealer order me a new key from my VIN and it was so off, I think they may have given me someone else's. If that's really what happened to me, then maybe you'll have better luck. But chances are your key and tumbler have changed shape a bit over the years, what with all the metal shavings and temp. fluctuations.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:31 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine does the same thing. What works for me is when it binds to pull it out slightly.

At the extreme other end of the worn lock spectrum, I had a Toyota pickup that would start on pretty much any Toyota key. I probably could have got that thing started with a popsicle stick.

Tom
Old 02-25-2002, 10:06 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

there's a little spring loaded steel pin that passes over a notch in the potmetal tumbler on the way to the starter position. when the key is released after starting, the pin catches the notch, which is the on position. the pin eventually wears the edge of the notch to a right angle instead of the 45° angle it used to be, and then the pin catches in the tumbler notch, and the tumbler can't get to the starter position without a lot of wiggling around of the key. time for a new ignition lock unit. i've had several apart and can't see any way to repair them. if you could buy the key and tumbler you could fix it, but the dealer doesn't sell them seperate. i'd love to find a source for them if anyone knows.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Or a market for them John?, if it's a common issue. Maybe tool up and manufacture a small run?
Old 02-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Jgordon
Racer

You could probably just grab an ignition lock out of a wreck at the local junkyard. It doesn't seem like a highly demanded product, and it wouldn't take more than some patience and time to re-key the tumbler. I don't have experience with the ignition lock and whether this is possible, but the door locks are definitely capable of being re-keyed.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:59 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

it's not a matter of rekeying. the actual body of the tumbler wears out.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Markus
5th Gear

Having this same problem myself with my ignition switch, I there anyone out there that can rebuild these switches, or do we just pop for a complete assembly?
As I am restoring my '76 911S and would like to solve this issue while the car is down
thanks
Mark

Ps. Can we just take this pin out?
Old 03-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Markus
5th Gear

Having this same problem myself with my ignition switch, I there anyone out there that can rebuild these switches, or do we just pop for a complete assembly?
As I am restoring my '76 911S and would like to solve this issue while the car is down
thanks
Mark

Ps. Can we just take this pin out?

Quick Reply: Key won't turn