Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil pressure gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Muf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge problem

Can anyone help me please with a very small problem I have with the oil pressure gauge?
The gauge reads fine until the '4' mark. When the pressure increases beyond, the hand flies off the gauge and crashes into the upper stop. When the pressure decreases, it returns back to 4 and less.

Does anybody have an idea what can be wrong? I suspect the gauge. I have removed it to see what is inside and found that it is very difficult to disassembe further on.
The only thing that I found that could be wrong is some sort of reel with a wire rolled on it. I am not sure whether it is a ressistor or coil or what but at one end the wire was messed up a little while the rest of it was perfectly regular.
Would anybody know what is that part and whether this wire crossings and irregularity can be the source of my problem? Can I substitute it with some stock part?

Thanks very much.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2004, 10:00 PM
porsche_911_s
Track Day

You might want to hook up a meter to the wires with the gauge out of the equation. If you get a spike even when the gauge is out, it would be something in the wiring or the sending unit.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:38 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same thing going on and traced the issue to the wiring connector at the sender. I re-wired the connector and cleaned the ends and the problem went away.

mine is an 86

todd
Old 06-02-2004, 03:42 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd bet on the sender. It is in a fgar more hostile enviroment and has more heat and stress on the moving parts. good l uck.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

I had the same problem a few years back. bad sender or flaky connecter at the sender - when the circuit goes open the guage needle goes full scale. since you're getting some readings up to a certain point, it's likely a bad spot on the rheostat inside the sender unit. it's kind of a bear to get out, you need a large crows foot wrench (I think it was 24mm & I had to order one from snap-on)

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge problem