Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

G Body Fog Light Switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 11:37 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts
Default G Body Fog Light Switch issue

My 85 911 foglights will not turn off when the headlights or parking lights are turned on. The fog lights and the button lamp go on and stay on whenever the parking lights or headlights are turned on. Also will not turn off with the high beams are switched off.

Is this the switch or some other wiring gremlin I need to chase down? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2023, 12:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

sounds to me like they are just wired up wrong. so you are saying the factory fog light switch has zero affect ?
Old 10-20-2023, 02:33 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
sounds to me like they are just wired up wrong. so you are saying the factory fog light switch has zero affect ?
That sounds like the correct analysis.

The fog lamp relay has pin 85 connected to BRN chassis ground and should have pin 86 connected to BLU / WHT fog lamp switch.

It sounds like 86 is instead connected to the parking lights.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:14 PM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the two responses. I apologize but I should mentioned the foglights have always functioned properly until the past couple of months. I just noticed recently that when I turned on the lights the fogl light switch, and fog lights, were on and couldn't shut them off.

Your comments made me think about when I was replaced a bulbs in the heater controls panel and removed the radio to do so. It is tight in there and I might have disconnected a wire from the back of the fog light switch.

I appreciate the remarks and this great site!

Jim
Old 10-25-2023, 04:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by alfetta
Thanks for the two responses. I apologize but I should mentioned the foglights have always functioned properly until the past couple of months. I just noticed recently that when I turned on the lights the fogl light switch, and fog lights, were on and couldn't shut them off.

Your comments made me think about when I was replaced a bulbs in the heater controls panel and removed the radio to do so. It is tight in there and I might have disconnected a wire from the back of the fog light switch.

I appreciate the remarks and this great site!

Jim
before i read it i was going to ask .. have you been under your dash ? im sure you will find the issue there.... oh that wire fell off .. it must go here !!! lol
Old 10-25-2023, 06:54 PM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Default I think you found the problem...

Originally Posted by theiceman
before i read it i was going to ask .. have you been under your dash ? im sure you will find the issue there.... oh that wire fell off .. it must go here !!! lol
I think it was me when I was replacing the bulbs in the heater control panel. I need smaller hands!
Old 10-26-2023, 09:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by alfetta
I think it was me when I was replacing the bulbs in the heater control panel. I need smaller hands!
that is a pain .. i think i popped out the radio when i did that ...
Old 11-05-2023, 09:58 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

I popped out the radio to see if I pulled a wire loose from the back of the fog light switch and there is no access to the switch. It looks like I have to get behind the frunk heater ducts and works to get to the switch. Seems odd it would be so hard unless I am mistaken.

Quick Reply: G Body Fog Light Switch issue