Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Inherited my dad's 1980 Targa SC and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 01:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

playing with CIS is awesome ... lol.. you will learn so much

its called a WUR . a WAR is a little different..

Warm up Regulator.
doing system pressure control pressure and residual pressures is actually fun for me.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:29 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

David,

On the oil temp, you can see the little temperature tick marks in degrees C on the left edge of the gauge templates you are showing. You should even be able to see these without disassembling the gauge. Just peak under the left edge of the gauge with a flashlight.

So it looks like the top of the bottom range on your gauge is 90C, or 194F. That should be around the temp that your thermostat to the front cooler opens. You could try hitting the thermostat in the right rear wheel well with the IR gun. Just make sure it is clean.

Mark
Old 03-28-2024, 02:32 PM
david05111
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
playing with CIS is awesome ... lol.. you will learn so much

its called a WUR . a WAR is a little different..

Warm up Regulator.
doing system pressure control pressure and residual pressures is actually fun for me.
LOL!

Late night...my brain wasn't working at peak efficiency, obviously haha
Old 03-28-2024, 08:37 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by david05111
LOL!

Late night...my brain wasn't working at peak efficiency, obviously haha
covert the original engine to EFI and coil on plug. It will run like dream. Car deserves it.

gasoline has changed since 1980s and need to change somethings for these old engines to run better.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:08 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 411 Posts

My thoughts are with you. You have a long road but in the end, you will be turning the key on Dad’s car. As frustrating as it may be, maintain the patience and take it one step at a time. I am so fortunate to still be able to drive & maintain the P-car even though i’m approaching the finish line. Know Dad is looking over your shoulder every step of the way. Your gonna make him very proud when the project is complete.
Keep us posted.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:36 PM
david05111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
covert the original engine to EFI and coil on plug. It will run like dream. Car deserves it.

gasoline has changed since 1980s and need to change somethings for these old engines to run better.
That’s something I’m considering in the future. Right now I don’t want to spend the $7k-10k to do it, having already spent probably $30k on the car in the past 9 months.

Almost everyone does tell me that EFI is the way to go, though I do have concerns about finding a few proper tuners for the car when I cross that bridge. For now, I’m just trying to get the CIS running properly so I can enjoy the car for a bit and focus on other areas.
The following users liked this post:
turbo23dog (03-29-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 11:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer

no you don't.
The following users liked this post:
rstarga (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 06:36 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My suggestion

Basedon where car is I’d get eval from what I consider a top classic dealer in Jacksonville. Talk with them about what they have been doing last 2-3 years restoration Challenge that Porsche runs.

porsche classic in Atlanta. Call about their evaluation. They will likely take motor apart but they only replace if needed. My 87 911 was done and happy to discuss in private. Very happy with work

chuck
Old 04-20-2024, 02:12 AM
david05111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chuck v
Basedon where car is I’d get eval from what I consider a top classic dealer in Jacksonville. Talk with them about what they have been doing last 2-3 years restoration Challenge that Porsche runs.

porsche classic in Atlanta. Call about their evaluation. They will likely take motor apart but they only replace if needed. My 87 911 was done and happy to discuss in private. Very happy with work

chuck
Just to follow up on this since I missed it, I'd love to have had them on the project. The reality though is that they're just too far out of my budget, I'm sure. The car has priceless sentimental value, but in terms of actual value, there's a limit on what one can willingly put in it. Which is why I'm trying to do some of the work myself.

If this was a long hood, some sort of old racecar, a 2.7RS, slantnose, or the like, I could justify sending it to the best guys in the world to work on it. But this isn't one of those cars.

When I have the car running right, I am planning on taking it over to Porsche Jacksonville and having them do the whole certification thing. I'd like to get some documentation on it. But as far as them actually working on it? It would have to be something very specific.

Quick Reply: Inherited my dad's 1980 Targa SC and need some help