Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Inherited my dad's 1980 Targa SC and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 04:24 AM
david05111
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Adding an additional question that I forgot to ask earlier.

How are the headlights on these cars? I know that they're from the 80s, so I'm not expecting amazing. But curious how they hold up today. Are there any OEM-looking upgrades to LEDs or anything out there?
Old 09-08-2023, 06:58 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Headlights are fine, just not matching current vehicle standards.

This upgrade kit changes the headlight wiring so the current doesn't need to go to the dash switch and back, instead using relays up front. The only thing I don't like about that kit is that the instructions direct to grab power from the battery lug, adding one more wire at that point. I would grab power elsewhere.

The relay kit will increase the brightness because of less wiring resistive loss.

My plan is instead to populate the two vehicle's empty relay locations w/ one relay for low beam and one for high beam, making my own kit, but having the end result looking like OEM wiring. If visible appearance isn't a concern, then the JWEST Engineering kit is fine and a nice improvement.

Last edited by wingless; 09-08-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:01 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A few thoughts about your project

Originally Posted by david05111
Great post, thank you. They're going to have a look at the studs. They got me underneath the car today and showed me where it's leaking from. I green-lighted them starting work on the motor, so they'll start poking at it a bit. Should know something on that in the next week or two.

I'm making a note about the oil to discuss with them.

Regarding the port and polish, I talked to them today about that and they said that they'll discuss it with the head guy. Apparently he's a friend of the shop and they think he'll cut a nice deal on it if I want it done. I told them to quote it. Can't hurt to ask.

Not terribly long before he put the car away in the garage, my father had a new clutch put in the car. If I recall the story correctly, he "lost" it in midtown Manhattan one afternoon and drove the car out of the city back to his home in White Plains. He said that he clutch-less shifted it until he had to come to a stop, would pull it into neutral, turn the car off, throw it in first, and start it, taking right off again. It's how he handled the toll booths. Not the smartest thing to do probably, but it beat waiting hours for the tow truck and getting it towed to his shop. I bet the clutch that's in the car doesn't have more than 15k miles on it. It should be good to go. While I'd have them explore it a bit as a sort of preventative thing, the bill is already racing up and I'd like to avoid what I can.

They say the shifter coupling is in pretty bad shape and that it "won't shift for long". My buddy has a garage with lifts about 1000 feet from this shop though, so I'll probably get the car there somehow and tackle little issues like the coupling since I get the impression it's not a huge job.

I'll need to look up how to test the A/C system as you suggest. I'm familiar with searching for vacuum leaks, but I've never messed around with an A/C system. Something I'll definitely explore.

That's good news. As long as there's a guide out there, I can probably handle it with a buddy. I had visions of some proprietary tools being involved and causing headaches.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. He was a great man, and I miss him dearly.

I'm sure there is a local PCA here; Brumos tended to attract enthusiasts with everything they touched. I just haven't had a chance to really look into that. I do have a few friends with newer 911s, however. One of them has a 997.1 GT3RS, a 991 GT3RS, a GT3 Cup Car, and a GT2 Cup Car. And an entire garage with lifts and all the tools to keep them running right for his track sessions. He lives a pretty amazing life, and has been helpful with mine so far.
David: You’ve received a LOT of good input for your car. I have a couple of things to add, that I hope hasn’t been said already. First thing tI would do is order Bentley manual for the car, it will help a lot. I have one for our 80 and I just received a new one for an 88 we just brought home. Found it new for $98 on the web. I needed to fix two leaking cam chain covers. Project creep set in and I pulled the complete exhaust, had it all sandblasted professionally then primed and painted it all gray. Looks great and I saved a bunch. Pulled the CAT and installed a Dan’s bypass. It sound just right for me. Not annoying or too loud. Found the heater valves to be crap so put those in while I was there too.

In our area most radiator shops will clean out gas tanks fairly reasonably. I didn’t see that in the trail but it might be a good thing to try before jumping in to a new tank.

And finally, our SC came with Hankook’s on it. I’m sure plenty will laugh but they aren’t too bad, are about 8 years old with about 3000 miles on them. I don’t drive any of our Porsches hard much anymore, and with 4 to choose from we don’t go far. This car will be leaving the fleet first so I’ll let the next steward choose his tires.

And the shifter and shifter coupling are really easy, with the car on the ground and parts will cost you less than $150 even if you need replace all of the plastic parts. You’ll need a bench vise and an assortment of sockets for the coupler.
Hope this helps, good luck with the project, value is subjected, but if it were my Dad’s car, it would be Priceless!
Old 09-09-2023, 09:07 PM
david05111
Intermediate

New topic. Talk to me about cams please.

The top end of the motor is being pulled apart as we speak, and the head is going to go off to the machine shop. I’ve asked for a quote for porting and polishing it, and I’m not sure where I’m going to end up on that. But it occurred to me that since I’m already throwing on heat exchangers/headers and a new exhaust and might have that head work done and that the cams are pretty accessible at the moment, it might make sense to consider doing something there. I know this is the dangerous “while we’re at it…” syndrome, but I can’t help it.

I’ve done some VERY cursory reading on this and as I understand it, there are a few options for cams. There are ready-made ones or you can have the ones in the car “ground” or otherwise modified to a different spec.

I’ve read about SC “sport” cams, 964 cams, and an assortment of others. Most of it is somewhat gibberish to me.

I also read that the cams will also only truly thrive if you up the compression by swapping pistons. That’s probably not something I’m interested in. I have to draw the line somewhere; I’m just trying to find where that line for me is, so I’m exploring options.

I figure that with like 964 spec cams, the ported and polished head, and the headers/exhaust, the car should see a little bump in power and would really purr. I know it would probably be more inefficient and without the different pistons, it might not reach the potential those mods could make otherwise.

I also don’t know how the CIS would play with this stuff, since I don’t plan on going to carbs or EFI at the moment.

I’m just on an information gathering exercise here.

Last edited by david05111; 09-09-2023 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:58 AM
Governor
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If sound is important to you, which I understand, simply putting new headers (SSI) and a sport exhaust will make it sound fabulous.
The following users liked this post:
Tmistry (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 10:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,060 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by david05111
New topic. Talk to me about cams please.

The top end of the motor is being pulled apart as we speak, and the head is going to go off to the machine shop. I’ve asked for a quote for porting and polishing it, and I’m not sure where I’m going to end up on that. But it occurred to me that since I’m already throwing on heat exchangers/headers and a new exhaust and might have that head work done and that the cams are pretty accessible at the moment, it might make sense to consider doing something there. I know this is the dangerous “while we’re at it…” syndrome, but I can’t help it.

I’ve done some VERY cursory reading on this and as I understand it, there are a few options for cams. There are ready-made ones or you can have the ones in the car “ground” or otherwise modified to a different spec.

I’ve read about SC “sport” cams, 964 cams, and an assortment of others. Most of it is somewhat gibberish to me.

I also read that the cams will also only truly thrive if you up the compression by swapping pistons. That’s probably not something I’m interested in. I have to draw the line somewhere; I’m just trying to find where that line for me is, so I’m exploring options.

I figure that with like 964 spec cams, the ported and polished head, and the headers/exhaust, the car should see a little bump in power and would really purr. I know it would probably be more inefficient and without the different pistons, it might not reach the potential those mods could make otherwise.

I also don’t know how the CIS would play with this stuff, since I don’t plan on going to carbs or EFI at the moment.

I’m just on an information gathering exercise here.
First of all there is not one head, there are 6 of them just so you are using the right terminology.. i see very little gain in doing anything to the heads. On mine i had the cams reground to a 964 profile and added SSIs and a 2-1 muffler to allow it to breathe easier ( which you need to do if you are going to SSIs ). The sound is very nice and it pulls quite nicely too. By doing it this way you will lose the cat if that matters so keep this in mind.
Tmistry (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 04:57 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 186 Likes on 147 Posts

I bookmarked this thread because there is so much good information here, including additional links. But there is no overwhelming consensus on the best cams for CIS.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ce-advice.html

NIGHTRACE (William Knight) and iCarp are very highly regarded, don't discount their advice.

Mark
Old 09-12-2023, 03:10 AM
david05111
Intermediate

UPDATE

Stopped by the shop today to get a bit of clarification as to which heat exchanger part number I needed to order for the car. That was easily resolved. I also had a look at the work they've been doing. The engine is almost completely torn apart. There are parts laying across 2-3 tables. Cam shafts, rockers, pistons, you name it. Also saw the broken head studs.

I got some other rather unfortunate news while I was there. The CIS system is locked up and requires repair and service. They estimate the repair will cost around $2k on top of what's being done right now. The owner of the shop and I had a cordial and productive discussion about what we should do with the motor. His suggestion, for better or worse, is that I get out of the CIS as soon as possible. He referenced another car that was sitting there which had the same issue last year and was serviced, only to return and be in for repair once more.

His recommendation is to take the $2k and instead move to a carb or EFI conversion. I find the latter somewhat more preferable, but he says that the conversion kit they normally use for these is out of stock and is usually done in small batches. They don't know when they will be available again. The options at present seem to be to fix the CIS system and risk it malfunctioning again if I don't drive the car regularly, converting to carbs (PMO is the suggestion), or waiting for the EFI kits to become available again. Not an ideal situation to be in. It would seem that I'm looking at another $2000-8000 or so to deal with the injection system.

I'm going to give it a lot of thought. In an ideal world, I think I'd convert to EFI. The conversion kit comes with a generic map and they have a relationship with a local tuner to tighten the map up a bit. While carbs are a bit alluring, I worry about the tinkering that might be involved in such a setup over time. As for the CIS system, I know it would work for now, and it's the cheapest route. But I have read over and over again over the years how much of pain in the neck it can be, and that does concern me a bit in the longer term.

Anyway, just a brief update. Work is proceeding, and I have some more decisions to make.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,060 Likes on 756 Posts

there is absolutely nothing wrong with CIS and they dont " lock up" whatever that means.. Yes they can be finicky to set up and can be a little temperamental if you have weather extremes, but i have had absolutely no issues with mine in over 15 years. Its up to you but to me , originality is important. By doing this change you make the shops job easier in my mind.
I am sue these are good systems, but if i was going to buy a classic 911 and yours had a converted fueling system , i wouldn't even look at it ...... just my 2c.
wingless (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 12:10 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

That shop really is pushing for EFI. Must have a high margin for him.

wingless (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 01:54 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,902 Likes on 1,756 Posts

@david05111 I've done some homework on fuel systems as I'm doing a full engine rebuild on my restomod project and need to decide between sticking with EFI or converting to carbs. Carbs have a lot of appeal but I was concerned about having to adjust them often. After speaking with people who've had them for a while, my conclusion is that much of it boils down to how well the system is tuned after install. Properly installed carbs shouldn't require any attention. They'll do great together with the 3.4 upgrade with cambs etc. My suggestion is that you first decide which direction you want to take with the car then decide how far you want to mod the engine.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:52 PM
david05111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theiceman
there is absolutely nothing wrong with CIS and they dont " lock up" whatever that means.. Yes they can be finicky to set up and can be a little temperamental if you have weather extremes, but i have had absolutely no issues with mine in over 15 years. Its up to you but to me , originality is important. By doing this change you make the shops job easier in my mind.
I am sue these are good systems, but if i was going to buy a classic 911 and yours had a converted fueling system , i wouldn't even look at it ...... just my 2c.
Yeah, I'm not an expert on this at all obviously. He picked up the CIS section (has what looks like the airbox on it, as well as some sort of distributor) and pointed out a flap or door that is inside the airbox and is supposed to open and close. Mine is rock solid, doesn't move either direction. So they have to take that section apart and fix that. And apparently some of the other parts will need work and replacement. That's what I mean by "locked up."

Originality is important to me as well, to some extent. But it's never going to be a concours car and it's never going to be sold; it's an heirloom. I've also made some modifications to it already (new exhaust and heat exchangers, probably a new steering wheel, new carpet, etc.). So it won't be totally original, despite being numbers-matching and having original paint.

I'd certainly like to save money if I can. If I could make it more reliable and give it some more power, that would be great. But I need to do a fair amount more reading on it, that's for sure.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:56 PM
david05111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rstarga
That shop really is pushing for EFI. Must have a high margin for him.
It's fair to say they've suggested on more than one occasion now that I get out of the CIS. They're not the only people I've heard that from, however. I think the guys truly believe in what they're suggesting, but I'm not sure they're really pushing EFI really hard on it since they can't even get the parts to the conversion at the moment. If they could, it might be a different situation.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:55 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

If they are referencing the pop off valve in the air filter, that is an add on safety to prevent the airbox from exploding and has nothing to do with the operability of the CIS. Just replace it is a very low cost item.
https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ss...+pop+off+valve

Are you somewhere you can talk to a PCA member who has an older car?
By the way I think Dansk bought SSI.

Last edited by rstarga; 09-12-2023 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:51 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 186 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rstarga
If they are referencing the pop off valve in the air filter, that is an add on safety to prevent the airbox from exploding and has nothing to do with the operability of the CIS. Just replace it is a very low cost item.
https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ss...+pop+off+valve

Are you somewhere you can talk to a PCA member who has an older car?
By the way I think Dansk bought SSI.
I think he is referring to the sensor plate in the airbox. If that doesn't move, it means the control plunger in the fuel distributor is frozen, which seems consistent with them saying it is "locked up". Don't force it. Good info here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...lp-please.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...g-service.html

The other component that will likely need a rebuild is the warm up regulator (WUR). And you may need new injectors.

Two good places for rebuilds are CIS Flowtech in Alabama and Fuel Injection Corp in California. Not sure of the turnaround time, could be long. They may have an exchange program where they take yours as a core. These guys are active on Pelican and do stock the parts: https://www.rarelyl8.com/home.html. You are looking at about $1,000 for both.

Mark

Quick Reply: Inherited my dad's 1980 Targa SC and need some help