Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

mystery spring, where does it go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery spring, where does it go?

Today I noticed a spring dangling under the intake manifold above cylinder 1. (87 3.2L) Can't tell where it's supposed to go, maybe somewhere on the throttle linkage? I can see it in my service manual pics, but can't tell where it's supposed to go. Anyone? I can post a pick if this isn't obvious... Thanks!
Old 05-16-2004, 03:43 AM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ellsworth,

If you can post a picture then please do!

Try to get some items in the photo that provide a positional reference for the surrounding area (fan housing edge, cruise control bracket, intake runners and so on).

My first thought is that it could be a throttle return spring (VERY important to say the least!) but a picture with surrounding landmarks would greatly aid the diagnosis.

I also have a 3.2L ('86) and a quick check of the engine compartment shows a throttle return spring on the main throttle housing (dead in-your-face as soon as you open the engine compartment) and a second spring hidden under the leftside intake runners (cylinders 1-2-3).

This second spring is attached to the underneath of the intake runner casting at the spring's rearmost point. I can't see where its forward attachment point is but it DOES move in harmony with the first (and most visible) spring when I move the throttle linkage by hand.

I'll check my books tomorrow and get back. I'm interested because I didn't know the second spring was there and it is indeed very hidden. Could this be the spring you're looking at?

Barry
Old 05-16-2004, 03:53 AM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Default Re: mystery spring, where does it go?

Ellsworth,

Sorry, it's late - you indeed CLEARLY state the location of the spring! All I can say is I need SLEEP! ;-)

Originally posted by Ellsworth Wente
Today I noticed a spring dangling under the intake manifold above cylinder 1. (87 3.2L) Can't tell where it's supposed to go, maybe somewhere on the throttle linkage? I can see it in my service manual pics, but can't tell where it's supposed to go. Anyone? I can post a pick if this isn't obvious... Thanks!
Anyway, your original info's great. Let me get some ZZZ's and I'll get back tomorrow!

Cheers!

Barry
Old 05-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

it's the one you mention that runs under the intake runners. I just can't see where the far end is supposed to go. I'll get out the camera in a few, and see if I can get a shot of it.
ell
Old 05-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

this is it... can't see where the far (moving end) goes. it's hanging from it's fixed point under the manifold.
ell
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

Default close up

here's a close up
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Ellsworth,

Thanks for the photos. We do appear to be looking at the same spring. This seems to be a second throttle return spring that attaches to the intake runner (as we can see) and runs back to a throttle bellcrank mounted on top of the engine case, underneath the intake plenum just inside of the #3 cylinder's intake runner.

A rod connects this bellcrank to another bellcrank mounted on the transmission and the throttle linkage makes it way from there through the center tunnel in the passenger compartment to the pedal cluster.

Accessability to this case mounted bellcrank looks limited indeed with the engine installed but do not fret. I have a friend that will have his 3.2L engine out in a day or so. Once we can see things clearly I'll get back with any ideas on how to reach it with the engine still in the car.

Hopefully someone will beat me to it. In the meantime be very aware of any throttle 'sticking' that may occur and be ready to take action if the throttle binds while driving.

Barry
Old 05-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

Thanks Barry
I think it's been disconnected as long as I've owned it, since I never noticed it in place before. a few years ago the main return spring hooked to throttle cam on top of the engine broke and the throttle still worked because the 3rd spring wrapped around the throttle body was enough to do the job alone. so there must be a 3 spring redundancy... guess I've been slamming the throttle too hard ;-) obviously, I'm going to try to get this broken one attached asap since it wouldn't be much fun for the throttle to fail in the open position - of course I guess that all depends on what kind of fun you're looking for ;-)
Ell
Old 05-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Ellsworth Wente
Advanced

Default got it

that was a bear!!!

thanks again!
ell
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2004, 07:29 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

The internet, coupled with the advent of the digital camera, has done more to improve DIY work than anything since the printing press.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Ellsworth,

Congrats on the fix but please DO weigh your shoes. Two broken springs??? I have a feeling your left one is somewhat heavier than your right! ;-)

Randy's comment is so correct. I've saved more money than the law allows thanks to digital cameras and web based knowledge bases and forums like Rennlist. Rennlist... Damn! What a great place!

Barry
Old 05-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Er... Ah...

That would be the RIGHT foot. Sorry, had to check the manual... :-)

Barry
(Whose military Left/Right sometimes differs from his civilian Left/Right - what can I say?)
Old 05-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got an '89 3.2 engine a while back and was surprised to discover it only had one return spring. It doesn't even have the boss on the intake that it would/should connect to.
-Chris

Quick Reply: mystery spring, where does it go?