Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Noob question about window part and Quick Jack lift points

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 02:01 PM
rwel
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Noob question about window part and Quick Jack lift points

1981 Wine red SC made it safely to its new home. Starting to address some issues (thankfully not many have immediately presented).

First, the rubber window part which guides forward edge of driver's side window is cracked and distorts, possibly binding window at top 2" of travel. I thinking it's 3 from this exploded diagram, or is it 2. Help please?

Second, I use a Quick-Jack 5000 for my cars. I want to get the SC up to inspect the underside for needed maintenance. I've searched unsuccessfully for a thread about where to position the lifting pads underneath the body to safely lift it. Can anyone enlighten me on preferred lift points?

Thanks.
Rob
Old 03-16-2023, 03:10 PM
rwel
Intermediate

Update: I did find a couple forum threads that discuss lift points for the SC. Seems trying to get on or as close as possible to pinch welds is the preferred. The car does have ac so those lines are a consideration.
Shoulda looked harder before previous post. Feel free to pass along any SC/ Quickjack wisdom, however.
TIA
Rob
Old 03-17-2023, 12:05 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rwel
1981 Wine red SC made it safely to its new home. Starting to address some issues (thankfully not many have immediately presented).

First, the rubber window part which guides forward edge of driver's side window is cracked and distorts, possibly binding window at top 2" of travel. I thinking it's 3 from this exploded diagram, or is it 2. Help please?

Second, I use a Quick-Jack 5000 for my cars. I want to get the SC up to inspect the underside for needed maintenance. I've searched unsuccessfully for a thread about where to position the lifting pads underneath the body to safely lift it. Can anyone enlighten me on preferred lift points?

Thanks.
Rob
Rob, congratulations on getting the car! The rubber window part you are trying to replace is #3. Part #2 is a metal channel that fits down inside the door and guides the rear edge of the window.

For the QuickJack, I think there are probably more threads at Pelican than here. The main trick is to position it on the inside of the tires. It won't fit between the tires like on most cars. You also want the hose end of the frames facing towards the front. Here are a couple of threads:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ft-points.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...3-2-981-a.html

Mark
Old 03-17-2023, 10:19 AM
rwel
Intermediate

Thanks for the clarification Mark. The rubber part is ordered.
Rob
Old 03-19-2023, 02:32 AM
FalconDriver
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rob, I have a '78 SC with air conditioning, and a Quick Jack 5000. Like you mentioned, I place the blocks on the pinch welds, but I have to remove the a/c hose clamps, and then move the hoses out of the way so the rubber lift blocks don't crush them. It's time consuming, and somewhat of a pain.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:16 PM
rwel
Intermediate

Thanks for relating that Falcon. I have read on a couple threads about removing the clamps and pushing the hoses safely aside. I guess that's what I'll have to do. I like the Quick Jack design in general, but for sure it takes a little while to figure out how to use it on different cars. What I wouldn't give for a bigger shop with a good 4 post lift! I'm getting kind of old for rolling around under cars on a creeper.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:45 AM
DonD964
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jacking up the car - not sure if the quick jack 5000 can lift your model or not.

I have a 964 which has lift points in front of the rear tires and in back of the front tires and lifts easily with the quick jack.

Anyway, I came across this video where a guy tries to lift his car using a regular floor jack. It might give you some ideas

Don
Old 03-20-2023, 11:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

i just use the factory lift points with the tool and put the stands under the torsion car covers. Been doing it for 20 years

http://www.euromotives.com/i/ebay/f/1153977741.jpg

Last edited by theiceman; 03-20-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:55 AM
rwel
Intermediate

Thanks Don. I'll be exploring the use of the Quick Jack 5000 on the new-to-me SC soon- perhaps today. Despite a PPI, I want to get a good look around beneath the car myself. No time like the present.
Rob
Old 03-20-2023, 01:34 PM
rwel
Intermediate

Ice, I agree lifting and jacking and supporting the car in the manner you mention might very well be quicker than trying to position any lift, especially if it involves un-clamping and moving ac lines aside. Haven't tried doing either yet, but will sure explore before any under car work.
Thanks.
Rob
Old 03-20-2023, 02:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by rwel
Ice, I agree lifting and jacking and supporting the car in the manner you mention might very well be quicker than trying to position any lift, especially if it involves un-clamping and moving ac lines aside. Haven't tried doing either yet, but will sure explore before any under car work.
Thanks.
Rob

i have actually jacked under the centre also , but because i'n bot comfortable putting all that weight on the case seam i have a piece of 2 by 6 with a hole drilled in it for the drain plug and put it over the sump plate to distribute the load, works quite well.
The following users liked this post:
rwel (03-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Noob question about window part and Quick Jack lift points