Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Electric AC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 01:52 AM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electric AC Thread

Can we please start an electric AC thread -- I confess to know jack-**** about electric AC, bit I LOVE the concept of losing weight generally, and moving the remaining weight forward...not to mention simplifying the AC (no compressor out back with hose running to the front). Can anyone please contribute to this thread? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:36 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by goatfarmer1970
Can we please start an electric AC thread -- I confess to know jack-**** about electric AC, bit I LOVE the concept of losing weight generally, and moving the remaining weight forward...not to mention simplifying the AC (no compressor out back with hose running to the front). Can anyone please contribute to this thread? Thanks.
Just research on Classic Retrofit UK Electric AC on youtube, plenty of videos on install and details.

Same AC unit used by Singer
Old 02-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

I have had a Griffith's since 2008 and it has been great in the Deep South. That being said, I have the upgraded 175 amp alternator and upgraded fuse panels from Classic Retrofit and have been impressed with the quality and performance. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2023, 11:17 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah, you will need to upgrade the alternator for sure
Old 02-24-2023, 01:28 AM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Yup, that alternator is going in the car soon. Hoping to see their AC in real life before removing all the lines and other hard to re-install parts. But the alternator seems like a no-risk upgrade. Thanks both.
The following users liked this post:
Pavegeno928 (02-24-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:56 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I posted somewhere in this section on my install, maybe do a search for Retroair?

I did this a few years ago in my 87. I liked the idea of cleaning up the engine bay and reducing weight, but honestly the way I drive this car it really does matter.
Retroair has a larger alternator, and I recommend doing that.
Where to start?
Final install is quite tidy, the compressor fits in the the smugglers box and the engine compartment is nice a tide, no condenser in the tail, no giant belt driven condenser, and a mile or so of refriderant lines are removed.
The front mounted condenser required I remove the left side fog light, I also removed the right side which has the benefit of offering more cooling for the front oil cooler. Obviously not having fog lights might be an issue for some, but for me it is no big deal.
I removed the condenser under the front valance but recommend that you leave this in place and plumb it into the system. I think the one small condenser in the front left fender is inadequate for the south. Overall the performance with just this condenser is on par with the original system, which is adequate at best. My triple black will get a bit hot in the summer. I have it on my list to put that center unit back, but have not gotten around to it.
You loose the windshield washer bottle but that can be replaces with a 996 unit, also something never go around to putting in (it goes behind the driver side wheel).

Prepare your self for frustration in installing the new fan and trying to get it plumbed in, there is not much room in cowl, and I just gave up on installing one hose as the only way to do it was to remove too much other stuff.

The current fan and temperature controls in the console are not used, you will need to find a place for the on/off button, I put it in the console and it looks pretty factory, but it does require a bit of patience to wire in properly.

This is probably a DIY project as I doubt you can find anyone willing to tackle it. It took quite a while for my install.

In my opinion this system is better sutted to a car that did not have AC originally, the Griffiths and similar systems will provide better AC, and although will weigh more are probably the better way to go. If I was to do it over again I probably would not do the retro air, but on the other hand do not really have regrets

The following 2 users liked this post by Honkity Hank:
jfischet (02-27-2023), sithot (05-01-2024)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:03 AM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Thanks Honkity Hank!. That is exactly what I am looking for...real world feedback.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:42 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Here are some pictures from the installation. Take your time and it will turn out great. I think after I add another condenser the performance will be perfect for me.

Engine Bay. Nice and tidy

Fan Box plumbing in, the dirver side is a little trickier.

Frunk, looks factory (wire is for battery tender)

Removed fog lamp, with bug screen. Condenser plumbing slightly visible

Console, on off switch mounted (blue), the factory switches are not used.

Smugglers box with compressor

Last edited by Honkity Hank; 02-27-2023 at 09:51 AM.
jfischet (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 11:58 AM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

There is a lot to that...touches more parts of the car than I thought. I gotta tap out on DIY. Gonna try one Oregon summer with no AC, and if it keeps me from enjoying the car, I will get some professional help with the install in the fall. Thanks Hank.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:50 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

There is a lot to that...touches more parts of the car than I thought. I gotta tap out on DIY. Gonna try one Oregon summer with no AC, and if it keeps me from enjoying the car, I will get some professional help with the install in the fall. Thanks Hank.
I don't fault you for that. My engine was out for a rebuild. My engine builder did the alternator, removal of compressor and rear condenser, I don't think I would have done it if that work was not going on. If I was leaving the engine alone then a Griffiths install makes more sense, but really you need to replace all of the refrigerant lines, which, unsurprisingly is quite a bit of plumbing, but pretty straight forward for a competent DIY'r.

It was kind of an evening project for me, I would spend a couple hours or so on it, I probably have (based on memory) 40 hours in it, if I had to do it again it would probably take half the time. I put the fan box in and out several times fooling with the hoses, and connections, all of that knowledge is probably forgotten now though.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:34 AM
John Montgomery
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I went ahead and installed a Classic RetroFit electric system - I had it done by a shop, it's beyond my limited skills. This was a pro restoration garage and they complained that they underestimated the time quoted and said it actually took way more time to install - they originally quoted 40 hours. They did a neat job as far as I can see, I haven't tested it in real heat (it has yet to warm up in the the North East, but I'll report back on the performance. I installed a twin condenser version with the upgraded blower.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:22 PM
FA18C
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look forward to hearing about performance. SpyderMike on Pelican did a hybrid install in CA which seems promising.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:15 PM
chuck s
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the concept and look, but from my research it might not be ready for prime time here in the South. I think the Griffiths set up yields better cooling. Not as slick looking though.
sithot (05-01-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:28 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck s
I love the concept and look, but from my research it might not be ready for prime time here in the South. I think the Griffiths set up yields better cooling. Not as slick looking though.
The Griffith's setups are proven to work. A rotary compressor is a small price to pay for a working air conditioner that will C O O L.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:54 AM
FA-18C
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hank - what is your take on cooling in GA? I do not daily my car, so do not need middle of the day surface of the sun cooling. Curious to hear what 2 condensers and the new blower do.

Quick Reply: Electric AC Thread