Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finally Back!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally Back!!

After many months in some un-fun places (Not Porsche countries, but if they'd make a mil-spec Cayenne with canvas seats and a .50 cal mount in the sunroof, it might work out nicely!), I am finally back up on Rennlist!! (I haven't been to Iraq yet, but Kuwait and Afghanistan aren't much fun either). Unfortunately, (sort of) I am in Germany and my car is in Seattle. I only have a year left here, so it isn't worth it to ship the car here or buy another one for here....

Anyway, glad to be back! (and seeing if I remember how to post pics by putting my car on.)
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

I DID just renew my membership, but I am still listed as a "user"(?). Maybe it takes a few days to change?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:30 PM
AZ911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a hot looking car you have. Also Im sure you are glad to be out of the middle east!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:19 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Thanks AZ911! Where in AZ are you? I grew up in Mesa, graduated from ASU. I'll return there after retirement, but not sure I want to live in PHX anymore...it has become a little too "LA East" for me. Maybe north a little, close enough to the city, but not right in it. Really will depend on employment, I guess....
Old 05-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Eric-17

Thanks for your service Avenger, much appreciated!!! My son is on his way to Lakenheath, Great Britian in a few months... We're looking forward to the excuse for another trip abroad... Anyway, thanks for serving us and know that our prayers are with you.

Eric
Old 05-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Thank you. The hard stuff is over for me for awhile....(not counting doing without my car for the next 10-11 months). Sometimes it is "luck of the draw" that determines what happens. I am a tanker (what other choice was there for a true motorhead?) but because of the career cycle have been away from tanks since '99. I'll be back in a tank unit in a year or two, but for now am doing staff stuff. Next time I go down there, I hope it will have quited down.

The true heros are the guys and gals down there doing the job day by day. You don't hear too often about all of the good stuff that they are doing...only the negative and sensational makes it onto the media radar screen. If you want to help them, remind everyone here that the vast majority of folks are doing a great job in a hard place. Support them and their efforts. Maybe soon a Porsche dealer will open in Iraq....that would be a sign of progress :-).
Old 05-12-2004, 08:29 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eric wrote:
"Thanks for your service Avenger, much appreciated!!!

Your yellow 911S is beautiful. What is the P color designation?
And our **Thanks** too from Pennsylvania!
best,
Steve
Old 05-12-2004, 10:15 PM
AZ911
Instructor

Originally posted by Avenger6
Thanks AZ911! Where in AZ are you? I grew up in Mesa, graduated from ASU. I'll return there after retirement, but not sure I want to live in PHX anymore...it has become a little too "LA East" for me. Maybe north a little, close enough to the city, but not right in it. Really will depend on employment, I guess....
There is no north of Phoenix any more it is all one huge housing development.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Long Story about the color.

On my last tour here, I went to a PCA event at RUF's shop. He had a CTR there in that "Yellow Bird" color, and I really liked it. I asked him, and he told me it was a Porsche color from the 70s called "Bluten Gelb" (Blossom Yellow). Well, a couple of years later when we were ready to paint, we found that color, but it was much paler than I wanted. So I caved and said, paint it Speed Yellow. Well, they did the engine compartment (The car was originally "Chocolate Brown") first, then a few days later did the rest of the car. When all of the maskings came off....uh oh, they don't match. Turns out the engine compartment was "right", matching the formula for speed yellow, and they weren't sure what happened on the rest of the car. My paint guy said, "we need to redo the car, otherwise you'll never be able to match it for repair, etc." Problem was, what was on there was EXACTLY what I was looking for, and I wanted to keep it! He checked to formula book for errors, thinking that sometimes the formula will be right for, say, a pint, and have an error for a gallon. Nope, everything in the book was right. Time to get the apprentice guy who did the actual mixing back and have him "recreate the crime!" In the end, it turns out he put in an extra shot of red, misreading to formula book.

SO, I have a custom color we named "Super Speed Yellow" (Yeah, real creative, I know), AND I have the mixing chart that will allow anyone to replicate it. Got lucky all around!!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Sayyy, that car looks familiar. You wouldn't happen to have been stationed here in Monterey a short while back, would you?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Yeah, of couse I was Derrick. Didn't you let me drive your car right after you got it, the evening we went to the Orosco Collection? Are you still there? I was only there for 5 months, in between Kuwait/Afghanistan and coming over here, where it has been almost constant travel. I MIGHT be back there next summer to do the International Studies program at NPS. MBR/PCA was a good group!! The PCA region here is not too active anymore, plus most activities are up in Stuttgart....about 4 hours away. I like the pic....I am assuming it is a photoshop job?

Good to hear from you!
Old 05-14-2004, 03:44 AM
Derrick B.
Racer

Very cool to run across you again. Yup, I'm still here, until October. My life has been a bit less adventurous than yours of late, I'm sure. Glad you have survived your travels intact. Dangerous business, that. I thought you were supposed to have a cushy desk job?

I agree that we aren't hearing about the great things that are happening over there. A friend shared some emails from a couple of Marines in Iraq (including a chaplain) that were truly inspirational. I am in awe of the men and women that are serving with honor and courage. It is a shame that the news stories are only about body counts and abuse scandals.

Sorry to get off into politics. I should know better.

The avatar is a photoshop job. They won't let us bring our cars underway on patrol any more..

You know that Super Speed Yellow is a great color. Yellow is a hard color to get just right, and your car looked awesome. Hope you get the chance to drive it soon.

Great talking with you. Email me if you want/need anything from out here. I'd be glad to help. I'm at thebooms@sbcglobal.net

Quick Reply: Finally Back!!