Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911T ‘71 - Suspension / Brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 05:50 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
I've read this entire thread and the question has to be asked, "What are you trying to achieve, and why?" One can spend a lot of money on mods and get virtually nothing for it except a lighter wallet. "Spirited driving" frankly isn't much compared to what racers do with these cars. For a racecar, virtually everything we do has a specific purpose aimed at enhancing either performance or safety. For a "spirited driving" car, your list is actually pretty good. However, plastic gas tank, LSD, brake cooling ducts, and dual oil coolers with fans seem total wastes of money on a street car. And you don't mention upgraded brake pads (but choose wisely) or upgraded shocks (Koni's make for a happier street car than Bilstein's). Maybe consider lightening the car a bit? And you will get far more bang out of an upgraded engine (at least go to S-spec on your current T engine) than anything on your list.

I hear ya -

Trasnmission needed overhauling since it is out might as well put an LSD in. I may autocross again
Plastic Tank, saves weight and less ethanol issue when storing over winter etc. plus I guess I like lightening my wallet

Engine upgrades are also planned.

Brakes and Shocks will be coming next round, Wheel and tire configuration will be looked at then

Pretty much replacing what needs to be replaced.

3 year restoration plan and emptying out wallet.

Lightening, I don't know how much that can be achieved that but we will see.

Paint and interior will be last.
The following users liked this post:
raspritz (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 05:59 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Well, you can shed a lot of weight from these early cars; most of us get rid of the steel bumpers and replace them with fiberglass. But that is for a racecar. My street '69T is bone-stock, numbers-matching, etc; except for upgrading the engine to S-Spec when it needed a rebuild and installing Cibie Bi-Iodes. If your car is pretty original, bear in mind that is what most folks want, and anything you do that isn't easily reversed reduces value substantially. Keep the old parts, especially your old gas tank!

Last edited by raspritz; 11-17-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:07 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Well, you can shed a lot of weight from these early cars; most of us get rid of the steel bumpers and replace them with fiberglass. But that is for a racecar. My street '69T is bone-stock, numbers-matching, etc; except for upgrading the engine to S-Spec when it needed a rebuild and installing Cibie Bi-Iodes. If your car is pretty original, bear in mind that is what most folks want, and anything you do that isn't easily reversed reduces value substantially. Keep the old parts, especially your old gas tank!
Noted

Car is numbers matching and all parts when ever possible are Porsche including Plastic Gas tank but yeah plan on keeping everything that comes off.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:39 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Yikes! $2250-$3000 for a Porsche Classic plastic gas tank? Racers always reality-test mods by asking the question, "Will it make me faster?" Will it?
Old 11-21-2022, 12:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Yikes! $2250-$3000 for a Porsche Classic plastic gas tank? Racers always reality-test mods by asking the question, "Will it make me faster?" Will it?

I agree... I think this is one of those: do it all (like all in light weight focused build) but does this one thing make a difference? Likely not... but take this plus a bunch of other mods to remove a a couple 100 lbs... yeah you can feel that on these old cars.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I agree... I think this is one of those: do it all (like all in light weight focused build) but does this one thing make a difference? Likely not... but take this plus a bunch of other mods to remove a a couple 100 lbs... yeah you can feel that on these old cars.
The lower the hp/torque the more weight loss counts
The following users liked this post:
Cyberbug (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 03:02 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The lower the hp/torque the more weight loss counts
Sure. If you are modding a racecar. My racing Porsche is a 2L SWB 911, so I get it. But this is a street car. A lot of things would add more bang for the buck for "spirited" street driving or the occasional AX than a plastic gas tank. Which is not legal for actual racing, by the way.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:40 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Interesting find

Quick Reply: 911T ‘71 - Suspension / Brake upgrades