Old 10-13-2022, 05:48 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Understood.

I will start with Sways and bushings and may be t-bars
then think about wheels and tires
shocks and brakes

coilovers are probably out as I was told they would need some work in the rear which require engine drop etc.

who know I may build enough muscles and not need anything in near future and concentrate on cosmetics.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:56 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Suspension: 21F/26R Torsion bars, 18F/18R factory mounted sway bars, turbo tie rods, bump steer spacers, elephant racing rear spring plates, fresh elephant rubber all around, fresh rubber front top suspension mounts, custom valved shocks for weight (elephant sells these as von shocks). Don't do more than this. You can do a front strut with an adjusted spindle and the 3.5" brake mount if you want.

Brakes: if you have the 3" front strut: ensure its all working, you can put the elephant alpha/brembo brakes on it which gives you a bigger front caliper. I have this.

If you have 3.5" struts you can:
Do the S brakes, which is no better than above
Do later car brakes which runs into master cylinder issues
DO 930 brakes, which is really good, and expensive. And bill is right, they will fit under 15x6 wheels, they require some modification.
Stop Tech makes a kit that is also really good that will work with 15x6 fuchs

I plan to do the stop tech kit.
And I can break this into components, meaning just do bushings once and see how it goes, then just sways and then may be ts etc. better financially as well, smaller hits and more fun
I will be probably do some of this, this winter
Old 10-13-2022, 07:04 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Suspension: 21F/26R Torsion bars, 18F/18R factory mounted sway bars, turbo tie rods, bump steer spacers, elephant racing rear spring plates, fresh elephant rubber all around, fresh rubber front top suspension mounts, custom valved shocks for weight (elephant sells these as von shocks). Don't do more than this. You can do a front strut with an adjusted spindle and the 3.5" brake mount if you want.

Brakes: if you have the 3" front strut: ensure its all working, you can put the elephant alpha/brembo brakes on it which gives you a bigger front caliper. I have this.

DO 930 brakes, which is really good, and expensive. And bill is right, they will fit under 15x6 wheels, they require some modification.

What he said! I have similar setup and love it. Keep in mind that weight and power all factor into this as well.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:12 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

, the only real issue w/ A or S & M or even M & M brakes is the thermal capacity when tracked and even that only becomes an issue w/ 200 + hp & weights above ~2800# +/-
Exhibit 2 is the thermal stress index for most 911/9230 variants thru '89, Thermally A & M, S & M and M & M are all the same, brake torque is also the same for all 3 variations, the larger A & S calipers do have bigger pads which only lets them last longer

here the blue is street cars and the orange are track cars on the far left is some custom brakes used on My C3,

Bill, this is very interesting and I haven't seen this before. To be sure I am understanding - wouldn't weight factor into these results? Meaning the blue line could bend down across the models given weight reductions? Using a specific example that is closest to my build, the 1972 911S weighing 200lbs less would show a lower brake stress index result?
Old 10-13-2022, 08:48 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Funny the Elephant racing sent me the following after I spoke to them earlier today, before I read your message. This is pretty close to what you are saying

Old 10-13-2022, 10:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
Bill, this is very interesting and I haven't seen this before. To be sure I am understanding - wouldn't weight factor into these results? Meaning the blue line could bend down across the models given weight reductions? Using a specific example that is closest to my build, the 1972 911S weighing 200lbs less would show a lower brake stress index result?
Weight and motor puissance are both factored into the data, A large plus for the race cars is lighter mass

Yes, the blue line would go down w/ street car mass loss and similarly the orange line would go up w/ more power or more weight, notice the stress in the early 930s compared to '78 up 930

brakes weren't/ really much of an issue thru the "73 RS(200hp /~2400#) but increasingly did become an issue as the cars got heavier and more powerful, my '76 C3(200hp/2600#) would go through a set of pads a day in track use and the pedal would go after the 2nd or third session, mostly because i wasn't a very good driver and overused he brakes. My '72S(190hp/2300#) never had an issue.. When I went to a 964 engine in the '76 the brakes wee totally inadequate for rack use(250hp/2600#)

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 10-13-2022 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 395 Posts

I agree w/ the 21/26 t-bar spec, That's what I use w/ my 2600#/300hp C3(custom valved Bilsteins and sport rubber bushes), great for street use but nowhere near good enough for serious track use,

for track my 993 ( ~320hp/2700#) and has the equivalent of 24+/36+ t-bars, great on a glass smooth track, not so much on aa potholed secondary road
Old 10-14-2022, 10:41 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Personally, I would do a lot of reading before you choose polybronze bushings for a road car.

Also, my experience with the "cage" style bump steer kit is that the cage interface with the heim joint is too thin and caused significant play in the joint on my car. Mine became visibly and measurably out of round.

I would go with the Rebel Racing type bump steer type design. I suspect it's more robust.

YMMV
Old 10-15-2022, 06:22 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

First question is what the intended use of your car will be.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:05 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rstarga
First question is what the intended use of your car will be.
Spirited street driving
Old 10-16-2022, 06:04 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Spirited street driving
Elephant sport rubber bushings everywhere.
19/26 torsion bars
Turbo tie rods
Bilstein digressive valved shocks
Corner balance
Pirelli CN36 tires if you are on stock 15 wheels
Anti roll 20f 18rear
You won't outdrive this on the street and it won't irritate you with harshness.
Remember your car ways only 2300lbs or so, not 2900 like the G body
Old 10-16-2022, 08:47 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Drove the car home 110 miles

Suspension seems fine for now, it has front and rear sways and strut bar

Also has weber carbs which need work so that is now on the top of the list

The brakes seem fine just need to get on them
So i guess engine work is going to take priority

Also transmission needs to be checked a short shifter is need as bushing are shot any way
Old 10-17-2022, 12:51 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

You can see my engine build thread for the fix to carbs :-)

I wouldn’t do polybronze. The elephant sport rubber is great on these on the street.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:56 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

You can see my engine build thread for the fix to carbs :-)

I wouldn’t do polybronze. The elephant sport rubber is great on these on the street.
give me a post number, pretty big thread

thanks
Old 10-17-2022, 11:52 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
give me a post number, pretty big thread

thanks
I'll summarize "Rip out carbs and convert to EFI" :-)
The following users liked this post:
TheTorch (10-18-2022)

Quick Reply: 911T ‘71 - Suspension / Brake upgrades