Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 gearbox problem HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 03:45 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 915 gearbox problem HELP

Last night I made some agressive gearchange on a traffic light race without hearing any strange crunching noises. When I stopped at the next set of lights, I couldn't put first gear. I drove home using second and let it cool down. I hoped it would change its mind and tried to engage 1st gear this morning after I had apologised to it for the abuse... No luck... What could be the cause ? Am I facing a complete gearbox strip down to cure this, or could it be a linkage problem? I guess the engine has to come down, right?
PLEASE HELP as I didn't sleep last night

my car is a 1978 SC with a 915 box and a 3,2 engine fitted.

Thanx in advance
Steve
Old 04-28-2004, 09:52 AM
kach22i
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't panic, don't get upset - keep a cool head.

Pull back the carpet on the hump behind the emergency brake lever to access the shift coupler.

Is the shift rod shoved back all the way against the coupler? I have about 3/8" offset.

My first guess is that it is, and the nut and bolt that hold the rod on slipped and were forced back too far to allow it to throw foreward into first.

Try to place it in first and look back at the couple/shift rod is the action working?

Read this, see it it helps:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...provements.htm
Old 04-30-2004, 09:39 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Tried the method described in adjusting the lever, but no clue... What next ? Should I pull out the engine ? Could someone who has done it give me a rough estimate of the labour and parts involved ? What should I look forward ?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:53 PM
kach22i
Instructor

I have not gotten to the complex method in the link which I provide.

However in the Seine shifter instructions, they have a real simple coupler method.

1. Shift into 1st gear.

2. Disconnect the coupler found near the rear seat access panel.

3. From the back, shove the shift rod forward so that you are all the way into first - leave no doubt.

4. Like an octopus tighten back up the nut and bolt holding the shift rod onto the rear coupler.

I have wonderful 1st gear action now. However not so delighted with getting it into 2nd. I think I shoved it too far foreward.

You could always take it to a shop, right? $50 to $100 to flat bed it.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Something similar happened in my 86 Targa. I did a couple of hard launches in first. Then, first was hard to engage. Then it wouldn't engage at all. When it finally DID engage, I heard something like a "clunk" and it popped out of gear. Then I lost gears 1 and 3. Then it became 1, 3, and 5. All in one night!

When I brought it in (I drove it using only 2nd and 4th to the mechanic), they tried draining the gear oil. When they did, pieces of metal came out. They were first gear teeth!

And, as you might guess, several teeth of gear one had broken off. I ended up getting a partial transmission rebuild- they ended up replacing gears 1-4. One was obviously destroyed. Two was VERY worn. Third wasn't too far behind. And Four was "tired."

It ended up costing a few thousand, I think, including parts and labor. I'd have to check the invoices because it happened (I think) two years ago.

-A
Old 04-30-2004, 05:27 PM
kach22i
Instructor

I was hoping that the shift rod slid all the way back on to the coupler, guess not. I am all out of guesses. Anyone else?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:34 AM
PCar SBA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Read here.....
Old 05-01-2004, 03:53 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Have opened the gearbox cover and took lubricant out. Was waiting to see little bits of metal and broken teeth. Valvoline was like new, and there were no signs of wear. So I took the engine out... Gearbox will come out next. There is a coupler under the cover behind the seats. It seems to have some play, so this will have to be changed.
Since I am taking everything out, I am thinking of installing a quick shift and an LSD if I could get one. Any ideas ? Does Quaife make LSD for 915s ?
Old 05-17-2004, 11:38 PM
rcecale
2nd Gear

Originally posted by PCar SBA
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Read here.....
HEY!! That's me!!!

Seems to be a rash of this going around. In the last month or so, there have been several threads on Pelican, including my own, that document this occurance.

I ended up pretty lucky, compared to Stv951. I only "had to" rebuild first and second gear. Third and Fourth looked pretty good. Take your time and follow the instructions you may receive from the people here or at Pelican, and you should have no problem doing it yourself. Plus, you'll save a load of cash!

Randy
Old 05-19-2004, 02:26 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

this article is really "THE BIBLE" for anyone - like me- undergoing a gearbox rebuilt. Very helpful.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
rcecale
2nd Gear

I only hope you (or anyone else) gets as much out of it as I did. The support group on this thread were, and are, some amazing people!

Randy

Quick Reply: 915 gearbox problem HELP