Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wrap on a classic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 08:13 PM
joejm14
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrap on a classic?

Wanting to preserve the original paint but change the color on an 83 SC. Any thoughts or experience wrapping a G body? Anything to look out for?

Old 03-01-2022, 11:35 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Interested in this as well....hm My only concern would be the single stage paint getting ruined once wrap is removed
Old 03-01-2022, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Personally i think it would look like crap.

wraps work well on more modern cars where they are basically an egg on wheels . All gentle curves and smooth lines. on a G body 911 there are many decreasing radiuses that would challenge a wrap. I get its flexible blah blah blah but i still think it would look amateurish even if done well...

and what do yo do about the black piping where body panels meet ? . have it cut either side where it would be obvious its cut ? just go over the whole thing ? .. you would have to have half your car taken apart if you want to do a colour change and have it look decent.

Not for me .
Old 03-01-2022, 12:04 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

I think it depends how much you want to spend to get quality. I have seen some amazing wraps on other very complex cars (Ferraris etc.) and I would bet a pro could pull it off, but I would guess you're in the $7-10K range. I would worry about the paint too.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:34 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Any experienced wrapper will be able to handle the job- they are doing cars nowadays with all kinds of edges and increasing/decreasing radiuses. Probably not a job for the home-installer though. I have had PPF on all of my cars, including our 997.2 4S, Macan GTS, and my 914-6, to name a few, since 2005. Never had a problem. 99% of people are completely unaware it is installed and even when I tell them they do not believe me.

CA roads are terrible and the CHP's enforcement of trucks hauling junk with uncovered loads is non-existent- so stuff is always falling out. I have lost 2 windshields since the first of the year alone due to road debris being kicked up by cars/trucks. I do not know why the insurance companies do not lobby this hard as they are paying out large sums of money for road debris damage.
The following users liked this post:
tdferrero (02-01-2024)
Old 03-08-2022, 12:39 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I saw a green wrapped G body a few weeks ago, It was amazing. I had zero idea it was a wrap. So the idea that "they all look like crap" is simply one person's opinion.
The quality of the install is really important and I believe the color would also play into the finished look too. Paint has gotten out of hand cost wise. I have zero issue with a well
installed wrap. If it is taken care of it will last 10+ years. I have work trucks that sit outside with full wraps and have zero care that are holding up well 10 years on.
tdferrero (02-01-2024)
Old 03-08-2022, 04:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by AG81
I saw a green wrapped G body a few weeks ago, It was amazing. I had zero idea it was a wrap. So the idea that "they all look like crap" is simply one person's opinion.
The quality of the install is really important and I believe the color would also play into the finished look too. Paint has gotten out of hand cost wise. I have zero issue with a well
installed wrap. If it is taken care of it will last 10+ years. I have work trucks that sit outside with full wraps and have zero care that are holding up well 10 years on.
fortunately no one said " they all look like crap " ..and secondly the guy who said it would look like crap said it was his personal opinion .. so thanks for that .. winner !
Old 03-09-2022, 12:21 AM
Nate2046
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by joejm14
Wanting to preserve the original paint but change the color on an 83 SC. Any thoughts or experience wrapping a G body? Anything to look out for?
I love the color of my G body too much to ever cover it in a wrap. I did have my 981 GT4 done in Autoflex though. It’s sprayed on like paint and can be mixed in any color. It can be wet sanded, buffed, polished, etc. just like normal paint. Cost is less than half of a quality vinyl wrap. As with vinyl, quality of the result is down to the installer.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:16 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate2046
I love the color of my G body too much to ever cover it in a wrap. I did have my 981 GT4 done in Autoflex though. It’s sprayed on like paint and can be mixed in any color. It can be wet sanded, buffed, polished, etc. just like normal paint. Cost is less than half of a quality vinyl wrap. As with vinyl, quality of the result is down to the installer.

I had not heard of AutoFlex. Ingenious idea / implementation.
The idea seems much better than the wrap concept (challenges with edges, curves, bonding to paint over time, loss of flexibility over time) - with ability to color sand, self healing, fuel resistant, etc. etc. Looks like it might even cost less.

Your car look terrific BTW.
'83 911 SC (03-28-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 01:06 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I love my '87 but was never in love with the factory Black color. Have always thought of having a green (either British Racing or Moss Green Metallic) especially since the interior is cork.
I was actually thinking of getting a wrap but am concerned about damaging the paint.
Don't know anything about AutoFlex but may need to look into this.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:02 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

It comes down to the installer…as with anything

find someone that really knows Porsches as it’ll need some disassembly, such as doors handles, front/rear bumpers, cowel gaskets, etc., if you want it to look OEM

wrap can be done, with great success, but areas such as headlights, there will be seams

vinyl isn’t as durable as you think…it’s pretty thin depending on the film…make sure to clear bra/ppf the areas like the rockers and front end due to the low nature of the 911 and it being a magnet for rocks

You care for vinyl like you would any other surface that’s exposed to elements and it needs to be cleaned and protected

hope this helps
Old 03-16-2022, 07:55 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by joejm14
What color is it now and what color you want to wrap? I have given this thought as well....
Old 03-28-2022, 02:55 PM
'83 911 SC
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always wanted to wrap an aircooled car to look like a Porsche test vehicle. It would certainly give some people a pause.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:01 PM
916Ducman
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump this thread.

I am getting ready to do up my 84 GP White 911 G body as an Artcar homage of sorts. Good read on this thread as there are some new things I had not considered, ty.
As for the wrap though, I am wondering if there are any vector files out there that can be downloaded for my Carrera, so that I could use them in Adobe Illustrator to create the original Artwork to be printed. I talked to two local sign shops, franchises, and they came up blank in their search for my car. Thought maybe someone her might be able to point me in the right direction.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:13 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Had my '86 Targa done as a professional custom bulk wrap job, before driving it home from Austin to southern Florida.

It is not possible to tell it is wrapped except from inches away where some edges may be seen.

The following 4 users liked this post by wingless:
28gts (01-30-2024), 916Ducman (01-29-2024), tdferrero (02-01-2024), Wilder (02-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Wrap on a classic?