Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004 | 12:14 PM
si Banker
Advanced

Default Rear Speakers

First, let me say that I am not a music fanatic. I have a 1987 911 coupe and the rear speakers are shot. I pulled the black plastic grills off, which broke into little pieces due to the exposure to the sun. I was suprised to see the origional speakers were made of cardboard or paper.

Is anyone aware of replacement speakers of a higher quality that will install with out a lot of trouble?

By the way I reproduced the origional speaker grills out of alumium, 6061, and wrote a cad program so I can make more if anyone is interested. They look exactly like the origionals if painted or anodized black. All you do is "pop out " the mesh cover which is metal and insert the mesh into the new grill.
Old 04-17-2004 | 04:45 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

The rear is a 4X6 inch speaker. There is two types on foreuropean and US version. Most aftermarket fits both. I like Boston Accustics. It think Clarion makes a componet version, but mount depth may be a problem.
Old 04-17-2004 | 04:54 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

Default Covers

I would like two please...How much?

Vince
'84 911
Old 04-17-2004 | 05:55 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I am interested in them too.
Old 04-18-2004 | 02:10 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Though my preference is for the engine /exhaust "song" I too replaced the rear speakers of my 94 a number of years ago (7 or 8 ??) yet recall many issues
about even trying to find "something that would fit" since the rear deck is metal and nearly impossible for most of us to modify.
As I recall, I ended up with some 4X5 (or 6) US rectangular style via mail order.
I could NOT use the existing stock oval covers. The replacement were rectangular in shape and I had to seek out separate covers, which attached via scress to the speakers and not the rear deck (fire wall.)
night all,
Steve
Old 04-18-2004 | 11:07 AM
DanS911
Pro

Interesting sidebar: the first time I took out the rear interior trim I found to my horror that some PO had actually cut holes in the metal to fit deaper speakers!
Yes when I stuck my head inside the engine compartment and looked up I could see the magnets on the bottom of the speakers!. Not a proceedure that I would recommend.
Old 04-18-2004 | 01:11 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by DanS911
Interesting sidebar: the first time I took out the rear interior trim I found to my horror that some PO had actually cut holes in the metal to fit deaper speakers!
Yes when I stuck my head inside the engine compartment and looked up I could see the magnets on the bottom of the speakers!. Not a proceedure that I would recommend.
Jeeez! Thats insane! boggles the mind how stupid people are!

I used the grill's from a set of Audiobahn 4x6 speakers to replace my old cracked ones.

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 04-18-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2004 | 01:26 PM
MAS
Racer

Almost any speakers you buy today will be 1000% superior. Not only in construction quality, but in sound quality... and they'll likely be cheaper than the originals cost too.

Not only has speaker technology changed a lot over the past 15 years, but almost all car speakers are designed to play loudly, and with varying degrees of "punchy" bass. Not that you'd necessarily want to use them that way

4x6 is a common speaker size, and there are many models available for under $150/pair. Pioneer makes excellent car speakers. It's worth spending a little extra money to get a good pair. The more expensive speakers will have larger, heavier magnets and may not fit without small extention rings (that raise the speakers about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch from the deck). It's really worth spending the $$$ on a good pair and getting them properly installed (underline "properly").

-MAS
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:36 PM
Roamer
Instructor

You can also install shallow 6.5" speakers by cutting out the rear deck. I was able to get a nice set of kicker mid-bass woofers and combined them with a nice set of components up front. Very good sound without using sub boxes. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2004 | 07:33 PM
si Banker
Advanced

Default Sreakers

I would not consider doing any cutting on the car for the sake of installing speakers. I would rather make do with what is already there. I have seen cars where they have cut holes in the sheet metal between the rear deck and the engine compartment. Besides the engine makes it's own music.

All I wanted to do was replace beat speakers that are there with something a little better but thank you for the feed back
Old 04-19-2004 | 07:44 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I replaced mine old speakers with 4x6 Kenwoods that look good and sound good.
Old 04-19-2004 | 09:14 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have two Clarion 4X6 speakers in the rear of my 1985 911 and they fit just fine and they sound even better. I am sure if you go to well known audio shop they will help you out. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 04-20-2004 | 03:23 AM
MAS
Racer

Never a good idea to cut into the engine compartment to fit speakers! Risk of exhaust fumes entering the cabin, not to mention the extra noise... and probably baking parts of the speakers with the extra heat.

If you want bigger speakers back there, then it's best to build UP, or get a custom rear deack that installs above the regular rear deck.

In my 77 Targa, I had a custom install behind the main seats (on the floor). It's completely detachable, as it's secured onto the luggage strap holders.

-MAS

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers