Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

hot won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post hot won't start

Last week I posted that my 76 911 was having a hot start problem.When I come back from a long drive the car won't start,I get nothing but all the idiot lights and electrics work.After I wait a couple of hours the car starts fine.A couple of the responses refered to the starter going south.I checked the records on the car and the starter was replaced about 6k ago.Also last week I had the alt rebuilt and I installed a new regulator do to a charging problem.I also replaced the ground strap on the trans and the alt.With the added history of the repairs does anyone have any ideas.I'm thinking of replacing the electric part of the ignition switch?????
Old 07-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Ken Fredrickson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve,
I still think it's your starter. Even if it was replaced 6K ago,with a rebuilt it could go south.

Ken
Old 07-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Ken I realise that it could be bad after 6K.I'll have to test it and see.Thanks for your response.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:47 PM
85targa911man
Intermediate

Steve--

I've got the Bosch WR-1 relay kit to fix the solenoid related hot start problem on early 911s. I had the same problem and installed it on my 85, but it's not compatible w/my year. You can have it if you want it for mailing cost.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:14 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Dan,
So there was nothing wrong with your starter,just in a bad place on the car,it would just get too hot? How does it work? Sure I'll give the relay a
try.Send me your name,address and shipping costs.
My e-mail address is sz911t@aol.com.
Thanks for your imput and generous offer,
Steve
Old 07-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Nick Santoro
2nd Gear

Dan; Iwent through the same problem for years with my old '68 911. I became an expert at using a screw driver to by-pass the solinoid by crawling under the car (while burning my arm). After several rebuilt starters, as well as a new Bosch unit(that also failed). I tried the relay kit with heavy gauge wire, but it didn't last either. I finally bought a Tilton, Jap style racing starter from AJ Racing. Problem solved! It cost less than the new Bosch starter and is much lighter as well. Since my ordeal, I've heard that the Bosch Starters have a design flaw in the Solinoid\Bendix area. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Thanks for all the responses.One the reponses from my first listing suggested spraying electric cleaner in the ingnition key hole.I tried it and took the car for a long drive on a hot day.When I got to my destination I turned the car off then back on and it started right up.I don't know if I just lucked out or it actually worked,time will tell.Thanks again for everybody's help.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:48 AM
Boris 3.2 Cab
3rd Gear

I have the same prblem on my 86 3.2 cab. Mine starts on the first turn when cold every time but after a journey of more that 20 minutes, I stop the car and try to restart it after 5 minutes, nothing but the buzz of the fuel pump. A tip I have been given is to hot wire the starter. Get a direct feed from the battery to the 16 pin plug in the left hand side on the engine bay (usually under a plastic cover and then covered by a brownish bacelite cover)The yellow wire is the starter motor feed. Ensure the ignition is in the on position so that fuel feeds through.
When I do this the starter motor always turns over and starts the engine.
This means that it is either the ignition switch or a problem with the yellow wire that runs from the ignition to the 16 pin plug.
I read that someone had sprayed electrical cleaner into the switch and it cured it. I'll try this first before replacing the switch.

Quick Reply: hot won't start