Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Starts and Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 11:17 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Starts and Stalls

I just started to have an issue with my 87 911 Coupe in it starts up normally, but then stalls out around 20 seconds later. It has been rock solid the last several years and recently it has been having issues. Once I tried to start the car and it began to start, but did not fire. Waited the next morning and started like a champ.
I wonder if it is an ECU issue? Seems like there can be many possible causes. Is there any easy things I can check for before bringing the car to the shop? The car has around 100K miles and I drive it less than 1,000 year. Also, just changed the Oil/Filter.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:19 AM
Mac M
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Need more info to help. Can you keep it running if press the gas? Does it only do this from a cold start? You mention “issues” are there others than what you’ve already described?
Old 10-07-2021, 01:11 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
I just started to have an issue with my 87 911 Coupe in it starts up normally, but then stalls out around 20 seconds later. It has been rock solid the last several years and recently it has been having issues. Once I tried to start the car and it began to start, but did not fire. Waited the next morning and started like a champ.
I wonder if it is an ECU issue? Seems like there can be many possible causes. Is there any easy things I can check for before bringing the car to the shop? The car has around 100K miles and I drive it less than 1,000 year. Also, just changed the Oil/Filter.
Oh Boy, you are in for a potentially long ride here. It take a lot to solve, because the culprit can be so many things or combo. Here's my thread, hopefully it helps....
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...d-startup.html
Old 10-07-2021, 01:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

why not start with a couple simple tests to see if you are getting spark etc ? no one has a magic wand with that description.
I would change the DME relay as it is a known culprit and would not be bad PM anyway.

Last edited by theiceman; 10-08-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:00 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
whay not start with a couple simple tests to see if you are getting spark etc ? no one has a magic wand with that description.
I would change the DME relay as it is a known culprit and would not be bad PM anyway.

Bingo!!!!! I brought the car to my race shop and they said DME relay. So, that is a easy fix.

However, in looking at the car said the fuel lines on the top of the engine are starting to rupture.... That fix is a lot more expensive.
They also suggested some brake work, but I said I can do most of that myself.
Of well, that is part of the joy in owning a 30+ year old car.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:22 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Bingo!!!!! I brought the car to my race shop and they said DME relay. So, that is a easy fix.

However, in looking at the car said the fuel lines on the top of the engine are starting to rupture.... That fix is a lot more expensive.
They also suggested some brake work, but I said I can do most of that myself.
Of well, that is part of the joy in owning a 30+ year old car.
I replaced my relay as well w/ a new one for another issue, so that wasn't my cause. Did you replace it yet and test?
I Had my lines replaced as well and brakes rebuilt as well. All par for the course....

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 10-07-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:20 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I replaced my relay as well w/ a new one for another issue, so that wasn't my cause. Did you replace it yet and test?
I Had my lines replaced as well and brakes rebuilt as well. All par for the course....
The shop told me they tested the car and it was the DME relay. The car is getting the fuel lines replaced and a few other things $,$$$.....
Old 10-07-2021, 09:01 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

The shop told me they tested the car and it was the DME relay. The car is getting the fuel lines replaced and a few other things $,$$$.....
Nice, got off easy and maybe that's why I initially swapped mine out years ago, can't recall. What's up w/ the 996 in your avatar, that a turbo or GT2 or 3? Nose and of course the "headlamps" giving it away, but I see the nose is not the lower line models like standard Carrera and S. It's not a Boxster right? (sorry couldn't resist) lol
Old 10-07-2021, 09:23 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Nice, got off easy and maybe that's why I initially swapped mine out years ago, can't recall. What's up w/ the 996 in your avatar, that a turbo or GT2 or 3? Nose and of course the "headlamps" giving it away, but I see the nose is not the lower line models like standard Carrera and S. It's not a Boxster right? (sorry couldn't resist) lol
Yes, 996 GT3. That is my track car. I do have a 992 GT3 on order and if I am lucky I will get it next summer.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:48 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Yes, 996 GT3. That is my track car. I do have a 992 GT3 on order and if I am lucky I will get it next summer.
Nice and isn't your GT# called the "widow maker"? I know of a number of people that have tracked them and have gotten in way over their head.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Yeah the fuel lines is a very smart move... There is one in particular called the " J line " due to its shape that is notorious for rupturing and turning Carrera's to dust.

very well played !!!!! ( slow golf clap )
Old 10-08-2021, 11:42 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Nice and isn't your GT# called the "widow maker"? I know of a number of people that have tracked them and have gotten in way over their head.
I believe the 930 Turbo's or GT2's are more the "widow maker's" That said the car does not have the save your butt features like the 997, 991 and 992 generation(s) of GT3's. The car requires a lot of respect and is like a fine scalpel in a skilled surgeons hands. Put the tool and a layman's hands and they can get in a lot of trouble very quickly. I went from a 996 Turbo to the 996 GT3 and was scared to death initially. Fast forward to 2021 and over 150 track days in the car I am comfortable at around 9/10 of the limit.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:06 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I believe the 930 Turbo's or GT2's are more the "widow maker's" That said the car does not have the save your butt features like the 997, 991 and 992 generation(s) of GT3's. The car requires a lot of respect and is like a fine scalpel in a skilled surgeons hands. Put the tool and a layman's hands and they can get in a lot of trouble very quickly. I went from a 996 Turbo to the 996 GT3 and was scared to death initially. Fast forward to 2021 and over 150 track days in the car I am comfortable at around 9/10 of the limit.
Yes, GT2 is obviously worse, due to more power, etc. Well said on no "save your ***" components. I have same situation w/ my '84 Targa, but that's much less powered than your GT3.

Quick Reply: Starts and Stalls