Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stalling at stops and startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Stalling at stops and startup

Developed this issue, sometimes when coming to a stop, car stalls. Also, sometimes at startup, it will start, then once idles down, stalls again. Can take 3 attempts to start. Bringing in on Monday, mechanic thinks it's a bad throttle micro switch.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:59 AM
yogi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something similar when coming to a stop. My dme needed a wire soldered, and it fixed the problem.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure your ICV (idle control valve) is working.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I paid like $170 for the Bosch on my car.

http://www.einmaligparts.com/Idle-Sp...9_p_76619.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...06-161-00-M100

To test the old one feel for the "humming" vibration while you have key on/engine off. It should vibrate in your hand. If it doesn't pull it off and clean the mechanism inside of it with Brakleen.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:05 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Thanks all, I'll look into suggestions. DME was replaced a year or so ago, when had starting issues, which fixed it at the time. What about micro switch mechanic mentioned?

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 11-14-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Thanks all, I'll look into suggestions. DME was replaced a year or so ago, when had starting issues, which fixed it at the time. What about micro switch mechanic mentioned?
I went through and replaced everything at some point so I never had one fail. Doesn't sound like the issue to me.

Find someone locally that has a 3,2 that will loan you a known good ICV from his car and see if the problem clears up. If that doesn't work, or should I say if you have no friends... than ask me to loan you one of the new ones I have sitting in my hoard of goodies. You just have to promise to return it....
Old 11-15-2015, 10:08 AM
yogi
Advanced

I posted yesterday before I had my coffee. I should of said my ecu needed a wire soldered but by mistake I said the dme. Sorry
Old 11-15-2015, 03:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by amber lamps
I went through and replaced everything at some point so I never had one fail. Doesn't sound like the issue to me. Find someone locally that has a 3,2 that will loan you a known good ICV from his car and see if the problem clears up. If that doesn't work, or should I say if you have no friends... than ask me to loan you one of the new ones I have sitting in my hoard of goodies. You just have to promise to return it....
Thanks Amber,

I'm bringing it in regardless, cause I want to try to fix that vibration / sound I'm hearing in other thread. I'll mention the ICV to them, which I would hope and assume they already looked into
Old 11-15-2015, 03:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by yogi
I posted yesterday before I had my coffee. I should of said my ecu needed a wire soldered but by mistake I said the dme. Sorry
How dare you!!!! Haha
Old 11-16-2015, 04:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

I think you were right the first time ... it was the DME. often people mistake the DME from the DME relay , in your case you did not.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:57 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I had something similar when coming to a stop. My dme needed a wire soldered, and it fixed the problem.
Yogi,

Were you always stalling at stops until you discovered the wire, or was it intermittent? Mine is very intermittent, some days it wont do it at all.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 AM
yogi
Advanced

My car did it during warm up. I would come to a stop and the rpms and the tach would drop to low and the car would stall. It would start right away and I could drive away fine until the next red light. It happened more with the a/c on. After several miles it would seem to go away.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:09 AM
yogi
Advanced

I need to add my mechanic switched out the ecu and the problem went away so that's how he knew where the problem was coming from. We sent my ecu to http://www.ecudoctors.com/ put it back in my car and all is fine.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:35 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I need to add my mechanic switched out the ecu and the problem went away so that's how he knew where the problem was coming from. We sent my ecu to http://www.ecudoctors.com/ put it back in my car and all is fine.
Thanks, but confused now, what about the wire that needed to be fixed?
Old 11-22-2015, 10:28 AM
yogi
Advanced

Something inside the ecu needed to be soldered and that is what fixed the problem. That's why it needed to be sent to a place like ecu doctors.

If everything else on your car checks out and the problem is still there. Then you would need to install a known good ecu and see if that fixes the problem, if it does then you know the problem is in the ecu.

Quick Reply: Stalling at stops and startup