Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Repainting fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 11:49 PM
dascar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting fuchs

Has anyone repainted the inner black portion of the OEM Fuchs wheels? I wonder what paint to use and if it will look repainted or should this be left to the pro paint shops? Should it be shiny black or more of a satin or just flat black? As these wheels are almost 20 years old now, I really can't tell.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

I'm in the same position. My Fuchs are not in perfect condition and I would like to repaint them. I don't care about longevity, someday I plan to replace them. I don't want to spend hundreds having them refinished, but would like them to look nice until replacement. Can anyone give us some guidance? I have also considered painting them white to match the car. Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but it's supposed to be a satin black. There is a Napa paint that is perfect for it. If no one gives the color, I can find it.

Matt
Old 04-11-2004, 02:58 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

I think you nailed it..."Satin Black" from NAPA auto parts.

Griots also sells a satin black paint, as does Eastwood. Napa is the cheap route, though.

Drew
Old 04-11-2004, 04:35 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The original wheel paint is made by Wurth, which is readily available. There are a ton of threads on this, which you'll find if you do a search. There is some disagreement on whether it is Wurth matt black or Wurth satin black, mainly because no one remembers exactly what these looked like when new. You can buy the paint at a number of places online, including Pelican Parts. It is definitely a DIY project and is quite simple.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:36 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

The original Fuchs were anodized and as such, IMHO Wurth satin black is the best choice. The other thing to know is to use 3M "Trimline" masking tape to prevent creeping under the tape as happens with regular masking tape. ?I did mine about 12 years ago, and 40K miles later, they look pretty good. Hope this helps
Old 04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Is there a powder coat black finish that would mimic or enhance the original look? I have a good line a local who does a great job.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:49 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I second the wurth's satin, though you might want to use their lacquer as it might hold up better to the heat than enamel.

another thing to try before repainting is to use some 3M hand glaze on the wheels (are washing them, of course). You just might be able to bring them back to life that way. Also, according to the guys at carcareonline.com, you should regularly wax the wheels to protect the paint. Up until talking to them, it had never occured to me to wax a wheel, but it IS painted and wax does protect paint. (duh!)

also, I have hand painted center caps in wurths satin to match when you're done! click on my signature line
Old 04-12-2004, 08:49 PM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

I agree that Wurth Satin Black is the way to go. You can get the paint from www.carcareonline.com if no one in your area caries it.

Spend plenty of time masking off the rim, this will make or brake this project. Products like 3M blue long mask tape will make the job easier.

Lightly sand the existing finish and repair any chips. I used a sandable primer.

Paint the rim in thin layers, read the can for respray times. It is a weekend project that is well worth the effort.

My rims when finished looked "almost" new.

Good luck!

marc
Old 04-14-2004, 04:10 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys - there is a GREAT post on pelican from someone who has done this well in his garage (a dentist, actually from PA).

Search Fuchs Refinishing on pelican - I'm about to do it myslef on my 8's and 9's.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:00 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

powder coat will have a plasticky, clear layer on top, so won't look just right

It would be nice if someone would start up a paint dipping shop for the Fuchs like the factory used -- it would be a thicker coat and probably more durable than any spray paint, even Wurth
Old 04-15-2004, 08:23 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send them to Al Reed in Anaheim, California. You will be surprised at his reasonable prices. His work is awesome!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:58 PM
wheelguy
Intermediate

Just checked in and saw the wax recommendation for the wheels. Pure or even high content of, carnauba can melt on the wheels when they get hot. The folks at Proper Auto Care will tell you to use WheelWax. It is available from their website. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I am with WheelWax, but the guys at Proper Auto Care.com are spot on with their rec.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I have never had a bit of a problem and have used Meguiars wax on mine for at least 8 years.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:02 AM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I redid my wheels, I went with Red, not Black to match the P O R S C H E stripe doen the side. Take your time when masking, using the 3M blue tape. I also used a heavier magazine stock rather than newspaper because it does not bleed through as easy.
I used a red oxide primer and lots of fine coats with wet sanding in between. Did mine in a weekend. Sprayed out the centercaps silver to match the rims, and now have a set of really cool wheels. Someday I will take them back to black.

Quick Reply: Repainting fuchs