Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New 1977 911s owner - looking for tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 05:18 PM
grimmy2016
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 1977 911s owner - looking for tips/tricks

I am in the process of purchasing a 1977 911s and would like to hear what ideas on upgrades or changes you may have done. Here are some that I am thinking of and would love to have recommendations or concerns.

1. Change black seatbelts to red
2. Want to find a new radio head that will allow for Satellite radio, USB or USB-C connections, bluetooth. but looks appropriate for the car.
3. Looking for some sort of drink/cup holder
4. this car didnt have the A/C so want to see if there is a way to refrofit some sort of AC as living in North Carolina will be really hot.
5. Looking for exterior design ideas. This car is all black and I would love to do some sort of stripe over the top and hoods and/or a door sticker. As this is an S model I dont think a Carrerra sticker is appropriate is it? Send pics if you have made any changes as these.
6. tires and wheels. It has all black Fuchs but wondering if I can maintain the same size wheels but go with wider wheels in the back.
7. Lastly, what modification have you done to the 2.7L engine to get more power out of it without doing a $5-10k upgrade.

Thanks and be nice, this is my first Porsche!

Scott
Old 08-21-2021, 04:24 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

do things in my sig. first

1. yes but I forget the place that does this for 911s - you want red seatbelts, fat wheels and a cup holder???
2. dunno if the new Bremen does sat. radio but take a look
3. can I convince you to join the Anti-Cupholder League? people that drive sports cars belong to it...
4. yes; aftermarket has kits
5. gold hood stripe - wide one
6. maybe - indiv. cars vary in what you can shoe horn under there so you need to check
7. 2.7 will feel better with carbs or EFI; it needs cams but that requires different pistons, so... easy transplant is a 3.2L stock w/computer or full revamp
The following users liked this post:
grimmy2016 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 05:52 PM
Showdown
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Preface: I have a 77 and needed to do a lot of maintenance.

Don’t do any of the stuff on your list until you have insured that your engine is working properly.

if the PO didn’t do the known engine upgrades you’ll have to swallow that and do them.

A carrera oil cooler would be top of the list then chain tensioners then switching the five blade fan to an 11 blade fan. Get rid of your thermal reactors if you still have them and either get SSI‘s or headers. After that go through the CIS to make sure it’s working well and up to spec.

once you’ve done all that, 5-8k if you diy, then you can start thinking about the interior.

the 2.7s are really light, rev-happy and fun to drive but are limited wrt power u less you split the case… but now you’re into 8k+ territory, same with an MFI/EFI/carb conversion.

long and short- if you’re serious about getting more power, pull the engine and replace it with a 3.0, 3.2, 3.6, etc…

the 77 drives and feels like an early car and with more power they’re lots of fun.

best way to get more power out of the 77 is to add lightness: fiberglass bumpers, ac delete, remove anything unnecessary. I pulled over 200# from my car and it’s definitely noticeable- and didn’t cost a penny.
grimmy2016 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 08:31 PM
grimmy2016
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Showdown
Preface: I have a 77 and needed to do a lot of maintenance.

Don’t do any of the stuff on your list until you have insured that your engine is working properly.

if the PO didn’t do the known engine upgrades you’ll have to swallow that and do them.

A carrera oil cooler would be top of the list then chain tensioners then switching the five blade fan to an 11 blade fan. Get rid of your thermal reactors if you still have them and either get SSI‘s or headers. After that go through the CIS to make sure it’s working well and up to spec.

once you’ve done all that, 5-8k if you diy, then you can start thinking about the interior.

the 2.7s are really light, rev-happy and fun to drive but are limited wrt power u less you split the case… but now you’re into 8k+ territory, same with an MFI/EFI/carb conversion.

long and short- if you’re serious about getting more power, pull the engine and replace it with a 3.0, 3.2, 3.6, etc…

the 77 drives and feels like an early car and with more power they’re lots of fun.

best way to get more power out of the 77 is to add lightness: fiberglass bumpers, ac delete, remove anything unnecessary. I pulled over 200# from my car and it’s definitely noticeable- and didn’t cost a penny.
​​​​​You mentioned a five blade fan on thr engine. Herr is a pic of the engine from the car. Are you able to discern anything from this beyond it has 11 fins? would that mean its a bigger engine or possibly just changed fan?

thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2021, 01:26 PM
grimmy2016
7th Gear

So here is a pic of the engine from the car I am looking at. Can you tell from anything in this pic if this is a standard 2.7 or possibly updated to a 3.0 or 3.2L? Obviously the fan has more than 5 blades but it doesnt sound like that would be conclusive proof.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:13 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Upgrading to an 11-blade fan is common, so you can't go by that. The green engine shroud suggests a 2.7. The 3.0L engines are red. It has CIS injection with the 2.7L air box snorkel. Behind that black block-off plate to the right of the fan is the engine type number. A 1977 engine should be 911/85 I believe. Stamped on the case facing up.

Other than maybe carbs, I don't think there is much you can do for more power with a 2.7L for cheap. The magnesium cases can be a problem with durability. I can't remember if an engine oil cooler was standard by 1977, but you want one. Should be in the right front wheel well.

I think you have to assume it's a 2.7L. If it was rebuilt to larger displacement, I think they would have also upgraded the CIS. But back to Showdown's comments, hopefully you can get a PPI that tells you something about the motor. Oil leaks, compression, leak down tests.

By the way, it also looks like it has no heat. The heater hoses are missing. May not matter much in NC, but you have to wonder what condition the heat exchangers are in.

For AC, you can buy a conventional add-on system from Griffiths or an electric system from Classic Retrofit. Both are in the $5K range if you do the install yourself.

Mark
grimmy2016 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 06:00 PM
grimmy2016
7th Gear

I was able to get a pic of the engine number. its 6274310.. WHere do I go to figure out what it means?
Old 08-25-2021, 03:06 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That would mean a USA 1977 2.7L. There are a number of online references, but here is a photo from the Porsche 911 Red Book by Patrick Paternie.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:27 PM
grimmy2016
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
That would mean a USA 1977 2.7L. There are a number of online references, but here is a photo from the Porsche 911 Red Book by Patrick Paternie.

Thanks. I did find the VIN decoders online, but couldnt find anything about the Engine Serials, so thank you!

It does look like my VIN and Engine #s are aligned based on this chart. Next question is how to find out if the engine and VIN are matching. I heard someone else mention a Kardex report. Is that something that is available online or is there some other way to know if they belong together?

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:36 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Unfortunately no, Kardex reports are only available for early cars, I think maybe through 1970 or thereabouts.

Porsche used to provide a Certificate of Authenticity for about $100 that gave engine and transmission serial numbers, along with options. But they stopped that, supposedly to prevent fraud (unscrupulous owners forging numbers on valuable cars). Now the only way to get this information is to take the car to a Porsche Classic dealer for a $500 inspection.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...alcertificate/

Mark
grimmy2016 (08-25-2021)

Quick Reply: New 1977 911s owner - looking for tips/tricks