Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cost of paint job for 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022 | 12:58 PM
F1LOCO
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
Yeah but if you send it out to do it, they will be replacing all of the rubber as well!
Obviously there's various levels of tear-down for prepping a repaint. I came across this thread from Flyvmo on the 928 forum - He pretty much took out everything except for the break lines and a few oil/ac lines on the underside - all DIY. ... then painted it himself.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...hed-car-5.html

Then, conversely, I've seen plenty of pictures both here and on professional resto-mod company sites where they just mask off the interior, frunk, and wheels / suspension and do a full re-paint (new color) that way.
E.g. this job, posted by GentlemanRacer and performed by CoachWorks Vancouver which looks beautiful:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...mation-10.html

Surely there are various levels in between with the trade-off being between do you want a full chemical strip and how hard you want to make it to find the old paint vs how much you want to deal with the hassle of pulling all the wire harnesses and hoses and other tiny bits stuck to all over the body! If you don't plan on showing the car or repping it as a top-end restoration, then you probably don't care that much if you see a different paint color under the carpets.

All of this though gets off topic from my original question which, to remove as much ambiguity from the question is possible would be put as;
Suppose I have a car with perfect gaps all around, no accidents, no rust. Suppose as well that I have pulled all the glass trim, engine, doors, etc, etc such that the ONLY work the shop needs to do prep-wise is fill some minor dings and sand. The shop needs to do nothing after the paint job is complete except help me load it onto a trailer. Then what's a realistic price for how much can one expect to pay (or what did someone here ACTUALLY pay) for a really nice new-color, properly done paint job - such as the CoachWorks one that I linked to above? Think upper-middle of the bell-curve here folks, "I know a guy who paid $70000!" is not helpful. If you google this question, you get a range from $1000 to $30000, which is obviously not a realistic range for the kind of job I'm describing. Most of the "how much to repaint a car" google results from places like JDPowers are for the type of folks who are not on this forum! In this thread we have a range of 12K - 25K+, but that includes all the labor to strip and rebuild.

[[color=#222222]F1LOCO=theiceman;18430612]Waiting on my guy to green light windows out/metal paint, but expect another 12-15K with labor and paint (it's a Targa, so luckily not much going on).
F1LOCO, I wasn't sure from your post - is the shop doing all of the stripping of the glass, etc? Sounds like they are... If so, do you know the breakdown for how much of that cost is stripping and the re-install?

No urgency here I'm really just curious at this point, and doing some long-term budgeting / planning.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by cairo94507
I think I paid about $1K for a gallon of Glasurit single-stage paint (did not come from CA) for my car when we stripped it to bare metal and did the restoration. That was in about 2018. I would bet that gallon is now $1,500. Of course then you add all the remaining materials to the mix for another $1K I am sure. But, 4 years later and my paint still looks like it just left the factory- no bubbles, etc.
My guy was wanting to do Glasurit and initially I was like there is way more advanced paints these days. That said, other than the abuse from the previous owner with the scratches/dents, it still looks sweet from 10' away and hence probably the way I am going to go ... when that time finally arrives.
Old 11-10-2022 | 08:36 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

2 years ago I think... you know time... I paid 9k for the full paint job and they welded in the sun roof delete too...outside of Phx Az. Stripes on hood/duck are painted and side graphic sticky.

Old 11-11-2022 | 10:48 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
2 years ago I think... you know time... I paid 9k for the full paint job and they welded in the sun roof delete too...outside of Phx Az. Stripes on hood/duck are painted and side graphic sticky.
That's beautiful. Was that a color change or a refresh of the original?

I think from the discussions here and talking to a local restoration shop, I have a pretty good idea on the cost. It's funny though, none of these guys at the vintage 911 dealers I've spoken to (we have several nearby) seem to understand that I want to take it apart and put it back together myself, and I'm too lazy to get into the weeds with them on that topic when I'm just feeling around for ballpark ideas on price. I want to do the teardown and rebuild not to save money but for the experience - half the reason I bought the car is to work on it!

Cheers,
C
The following users liked this post:
28gts (11-11-2022)
Old 05-28-2023 | 01:13 PM
Home Run
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
"I'm Earl Sheib, and for $49.95 I'll paint your car and give you $10 metalwork absolutely free." Well, you're about 60 years too late on that. Re-doing a modern Boxster versus re-doing an early 911 have very little to do with each other, involve quite different skillsets and scopes of work, and typically involve different types of of shops. For an early 911:

For the highest level concours-winning paint job $30,000 and up (depending on a lot of things) with no metal work.
For a totally wonderful #1 paint job, $20,000 with no metal work.
For a typical really good paint job $10,000 to $15,000.
For your local paint shop job maybe $3,000 to $7,000 and poor vision.
For the highest level concours-winning full interior $15,000 plus parts.
For a really good full interior job $8,000 plus parts.
I wonder how many people actually remember Earl Sheib's paint commercials. That's funny

Quick Reply: Cost of paint job for 911