Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cost of paint job for 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021 | 04:32 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by union
Shop is in Oakland. Run by Alonso who had a smaller job previously.

instagram.com/re____union

can you PM me with contact info for oakland shop? Thanks
Old 08-05-2021 | 11:09 PM
My991
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

OP It’s only original once. Have you considered paint correction and paint protection?
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (10-26-2022)
Old 08-08-2021 | 11:48 AM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AG81
I did the interior of mine in 2018. Dash, new seats, carpets, door panels, console delete, no headliner. All of the upholstery work was done by myself. The seats were sourced from classic touring seats.
Cost includes the Wevo shifter, Wevo PSJ, Rennline bits for the dash, doors and floor.
Total materials and parts was about what Rockerchief spent $11 to $12K. With labor I think you would be looking at $16K to $19K.
I recently updated my entire interior as well. I didn't replace my Recaro's, just recovered them in fine Nappa leather, including all side panels, rear seats, rear dash, etc. Bought a carpet kit from Autobahn Interiors. I purchased the leather and provided it to my upholsterer. I installed the carpet and then installed all the re-upholstered bits. I had my seat belts renewed by Safety Restore. I installed new speakers "while I was in there" and replaced a few small bits and pieces along the way. I would agree with the above cost estimate, my labor not included, my cost was in that ballpark as well.

Dennis
Old 08-09-2021 | 11:31 AM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 119 Posts

I see a few of you from Houston and Dallas area.. I'm thinking of buying a 84 Carrera for a big renovation too.. who do you'll recommend for full interior (dash/seats/carpets/headliner) AND
likely bare metal paint in your areas... I can't do it on my own.. and there's nobody in the Little Rock area that can handle a "major renovation" like above..
Thanks ahead. Steven
Old 08-09-2021 | 11:40 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SK991.2
I see a few of you from Houston and Dallas area.. I'm thinking of buying a 84 Carrera for a big renovation too.. who do you'll recommend for full interior (dash/seats/carpets/headliner) AND
likely bare metal paint in your areas... I can't do it on my own.. and there's nobody in the Little Rock area that can handle a "major renovation" like above..
Thanks ahead. Steven
I would imagine that Dallas and N. Tx would be much easier for you, however, should you decide to bring your 84 to H-town, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-10-2021 | 10:45 AM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SK991.2
Thanks ahead. Steven
Steven,

I can guide you thru your interior it's not that hard. PM me for a shop in North Texas.
Old 10-23-2022 | 09:13 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts
Default … but diy parts stripping + painting - how much?

So there’s a bunch of replies talking about DIY interiors, but it seems all the repaint guys are having the parts stripping done by the shop.

im curious to hear from one of the many rennlisters I’ve seen who’ve stripped the car themselves and sent the shell out for repaint. What did it cost you?? This is how I’d be doing it since I have so much other work I plan on doing.

has anyone who got fully stripped down repaint bothered to get the body chemical dipped / stripped before hand? What did that cost?

thanks!
Old 10-25-2022 | 11:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
So there’s a bunch of replies talking about DIY interiors, but it seems all the repaint guys are having the parts stripping done by the shop.

im curious to hear from one of the many rennlisters I’ve seen who’ve stripped the car themselves and sent the shell out for repaint. What did it cost you?? This is how I’d be doing it since I have so much other work I plan on doing.

has anyone who got fully stripped down repaint bothered to get the body chemical dipped / stripped before hand? What did that cost?

thanks!
wow that would be a big job.. you will basically be rebuilding a 911 from scratch after. a retirement project for me i might imagine.. the costs would be simply enormous as i image you would need new rubber everywhere. Would be a great thread to follow though.
Qtrfoil (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022 | 08:31 AM
F1LOCO
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought every rubber, seal and exterior trim for just under 3K;
My dentless guy is coming next week to do the entire car 1.7K (apparently too much time in the garage with the PO who had kids), in hopes of doing very little body work in paint (no rust thank goodness);
Waiting on my guy to green light windows out/metal paint, but expect another 12-15K with labor and paint (it's a Targa, so luckily not much going on).
Looking forward to cleaning up all the Ziebart everywhere, especially the frunk and wheel wells. Thinking I may price a dry ice detail as well before the paint if it will work. Spent 1/2 an hour this past weekend. with mineral spirits just cleaning the battery tray when I converted to a 925L battery.
Old 10-26-2022 | 05:36 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Lots of teardown builds like that on Pelican, really not necessary if you have no rust and are not doing a color change. Just pull the interior engine and glass.
It is a long and painful experience.
Old 10-27-2022 | 05:26 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Paint is a very long painful experience. Post Covid ,it's worse than I have ever experienced. One project in paint since June 2021. Just this week it's finely in primer.
Old 10-28-2022 | 09:59 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
wow that would be a big job.. you will basically be rebuilding a 911 from scratch after. a retirement project for me i might imagine.. the costs would be simply enormous as i image you would need new rubber everywhere. Would be a great thread to follow though.
Yeah but if you send it out to do it, they will be replacing all of the rubber as well!
Obviously there's various levels of tear-down for prepping a repaint. I came across this thread from Flyvmo on the 928 forum - He pretty much took out everything except for the break lines and a few oil/ac lines on the underside - all DIY. ... then painted it himself.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...hed-car-5.html

Then, conversely, I've seen plenty of pictures both here and on professional resto-mod company sites where they just mask off the interior, frunk, and wheels / suspension and do a full re-paint (new color) that way.
E.g. this job, posted by GentlemanRacer and performed by CoachWorks Vancouver which looks beautiful:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...mation-10.html

Surely there are various levels in between with the trade-off being between do you want a full chemical strip and how hard you want to make it to find the old paint vs how much you want to deal with the hassle of pulling all the wire harnesses and hoses and other tiny bits stuck to all over the body! If you don't plan on showing the car or repping it as a top-end restoration, then you probably don't care that much if you see a different paint color under the carpets.

All of this though gets off topic from my original question which, to remove as much ambiguity from the question is possible would be put as;
Suppose I have a car with perfect gaps all around, no accidents, no rust. Suppose as well that I have pulled all the glass trim, engine, doors, etc, etc such that the ONLY work the shop needs to do prep-wise is fill some minor dings and sand. The shop needs to do nothing after the paint job is complete except help me load it onto a trailer. Then what's a realistic price for how much can one expect to pay (or what did someone here ACTUALLY pay) for a really nice new-color, properly done paint job - such as the CoachWorks one that I linked to above? Think upper-middle of the bell-curve here folks, "I know a guy who paid $70000!" is not helpful. If you google this question, you get a range from $1000 to $30000, which is obviously not a realistic range for the kind of job I'm describing. Most of the "how much to repaint a car" google results from places like JDPowers are for the type of folks who are not on this forum! In this thread we have a range of 12K - 25K+, but that includes all the labor to strip and rebuild.

[F1LOCO=theiceman;18430612]Waiting on my guy to green light windows out/metal paint, but expect another 12-15K with labor and paint (it's a Targa, so luckily not much going on).[/QUOTE]

F1LOCO, I wasn't sure from your post - is the shop doing all of the stripping of the glass, etc? Sounds like they are... If so, do you know the breakdown for how much of that cost is stripping and the re-install?

No urgency here I'm really just curious at this point, and doing some long-term budgeting / planning.

Cheers!
Old 11-06-2022 | 11:11 PM
dwight45
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the repaint.

I have an 82SC and she had some bad road rash on the nose and a bubble on the drivers fender. The car had been resprayed before my ownership but it did not last.. I took it to a shop and was asked, do you want bare metal or a respray. I opted for bare metal, windows out repaint. He then asked if I was going to replace the body seals? Huh, uh yeah. Well the rubber parts for the body shocked me badly. They have a lot of rubber. I spent over 4K for Porsche rubber and you know they all fit. There was very little metal work and the job was 22K. It is a beautiful job but still only part of the whole. I had the windshiels pulled and replaced ( you must pull the windshield to remove the dash., I sent it off for recovering with german vinyl because the Leather will shrink and pull away again eventually. I also had the Black parts powder coated and the smile replaced new as well as the lower valence. I know I am over 40K into it now with the addition of SSIs and sport muffler. I can't go to Ca. now lol.

Last edited by dwight45; 11-06-2022 at 11:13 PM. Reason: run on sentence.
Pavegeno928 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022 | 08:06 AM
F1LOCO
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

@CosmosMoon

F1LOCO, I wasn't sure from your post - is the shop doing all of the stripping of the glass, etc? Sounds like they are... If so, do you know the breakdown for how much of that cost is stripping and the re-install?

Correct - having them pull everything including the windows - I've got a Targa and heard horror stories with the rear window. I will let them worry about that project. Will get new glass up front - starting to delaminate in a corner after 45 years. No real break down - I buy materials, he supplies labor by the hour but best estimate was 10'ish on labor in total (which I expect will be more like $15K). I figure 2-3K for paint supplies these days. Still trying to find a cyro detail company who can strip the crude and Ziebart before April of next year - I need to buy a machine and open up a business.

Old 11-08-2022 | 11:52 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I think I paid about $1K for a gallon of Glasurit single-stage paint (did not come from CA) for my car when we stripped it to bare metal and did the restoration. That was in about 2018. I would bet that gallon is now $1,500. Of course then you add all the remaining materials to the mix for another $1K I am sure. But, 4 years later and my paint still looks like it just left the factory- no bubbles, etc.

Quick Reply: Cost of paint job for 911