Oil for 915 with lsd

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 06:23 PM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
do you also have limited slip ??
Yes, LSD in a 1982 930. The grinding is only when the driveline is engaged at slow speeds particularly around corners. I replaced engine and tranny mounts, new CV joints X 4, and where it goes away when the clutch goes in it's not wheel bearings. Tried Kendall LSD, now Swepc0 201. When it's cold it's fine, but as it gets hotter it gets worse. Shifts smooth up or down in all gears.

Freddy; I'll try your fix before pulling the transmission out of the car. I don't use the car often but a major downer when it's out of service during our short summer.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytonacoupe66
Yes, LSD in a 1982 930. The grinding is only when the driveline is engaged at slow speeds particularly around corners. I replaced engine and tranny mounts, new CV joints X 4, and where it goes away when the clutch goes in it's not wheel bearings. Tried Kendall LSD, now Swepc0 201. When it's cold it's fine, but as it gets hotter it gets worse. Shifts smooth up or down in all gears.

Freddy; I'll try your fix before pulling the transmission out of the car. I don't use the car often but a major downer when it's out of service during our short summer.
grinding while creeping around a corner at full lock i have learned is somewhat normal on these cars. Not sure how true it is but my car has done it for over 15 years, even after a gearbox rebuild.

i would suggest some research on Pelican if you have not done that already just in case... i thought the grinding was more from the front end though.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Iceman; I've been reading on this one since I acquired the car a few years ago, including Pelican. I note that the PO changed the gearbox fluid 3 years in a row between 2001 and 2003 and 40K kms ago, adding synthetic, which is inappropriate, so the problem must go way back.

There is not a lot of available air cooled expertise in this neck of the woods. A local MB resource who is too backed up to look at the car had rebuilt the top end and changed the syncros in the tranny on a 1981 930. He tells me that the LSD vibration was resolved in that car with a different fluid, but he cannot recall what fluid he acquired from a supplier in Ontario.

I'll try Freddy's fix as a last resort. I had thought of replacing the LSD but if the clutches wear logic (I'm no mechanic) suggests that there would be less locking, not more. One of the contributors on Pelican thinks it may be transaxle bearings. Before dropping the box I'll try a few last resorts. As mentioned, it's a short summer and I only use the car for short trips.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Iceman; I've been reading on this one since I acquired the car a few years ago, including Pelican. I note that the PO changed the gearbox fluid 3 years in a row between 2001 and 2003 and 40K kms ago, adding synthetic, which is inappropriate, so the problem must go way back.

There is not a lot of available air cooled expertise in this neck of the woods. A local MB resource who is too backed up to look at the car had rebuilt the top end and changed the syncros in the tranny on a 1981 930. He tells me that the LSD vibration was resolved in that car with a different fluid, but he cannot recall what fluid he acquired from a supplier in Ontario.

I'll try Freddy's fix as a last resort. I had thought of replacing the LSD but if the clutches wear logic (I'm no mechanic) suggests that there would be less locking, not more. One of the contributors on Pelican thinks it may be transaxle bearings. Before dropping the box I'll try a few last resorts. As mentioned, it's a short summer and I only use the car for short trips.
sounds like a solid plan .... i have no grinding at all from the back end on turns so id be interested in your findings ... of course these cars , like anything else, for every symptom there can be a myriad of route causes. So troubleshooting the box can get expensive..
Old 07-09-2021, 03:31 PM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

.. i have no grinding at all from the back end on turns so id be interested in your findings ... ..
Ice; previously you stated "grinding while creeping around a corner at full lock i have learned is somewhat normal on these cars. Not sure how true it is but my car has done it for over 15 years, even after a gearbox rebuild".

I'm not sure I follow when you get the vibration and when you don't....if at all.

In any event I'll report back as Freddie did following the fluid change. I don't expect it'll fix the problem I have. On a previous 930 Kendall LSD cleared it up totally. Didn't work on this one.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2021, 03:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Ice; previously you stated "grinding while creeping around a corner at full lock i have learned is somewhat normal on these cars. Not sure how true it is but my car has done it for over 15 years, even after a gearbox rebuild".

I'm not sure I follow when you get the vibration and when you don't....if at all.

In any event I'll report back as Freddie did following the fluid change. I don't expect it'll fix the problem I have. On a previous 930 Kendall LSD cleared it up totally. Didn't work on this one.

Thanks!
what i hear is at the front end on front lock creeping around a corner... a kind of grinding sound. i just couldn't figure it out and the guys at Pelican said so many cars do it they consider it normal. I have a Targa though so i hear every sound as i dont have the roof in. Nothing from the back though.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:08 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Ahh, got it. Full lock = steering geometry to the limit and a front end grind. The tranny rebuild mention threw me off.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:11 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Well, just as a follow up I tried the Motul that fixed Freddy's problem and no change for me. However, at the alignment shop the rear numbers were off and we did find a broken capture flange at the toe setting eccentric on the left trailing arm. Unlikely to have been caused by metal fatigue and no surrounding damage so perhaps an attempt to adjust toe using a pry bar or hammer. I'm not sure to what extent this would result in an unsecured rear wheel, but the tire wear is bad on that skin. Maybe this is the source of the vibration....I'll report back. Pricey fix. Photos of the good/right side, and the boogered/left side.

New part on the way from Germany,.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:34 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well, just as a follow up I tried the Motul that fixed Freddy's problem and no change for me. However, at the alignment shop the rear numbers were off and we did find a broken capture flange at the toe setting eccentric on the left trailing arm. Unlikely to have been caused by metal fatigue and no surrounding damage so perhaps an attempt to adjust toe using a pry bar or hammer. I'm not sure to what extent this would result in an unsecured rear wheel, but the tire wear is bad on that skin. Maybe this is the source of the vibration....I'll report back. Pricey fix. Photos of the good/right side, and the boogered/left side.

New part on the way from Germany,.
are you getting a new spring plate ?
Old 08-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

are you getting a new spring plate ?
No plans for a new spring plate. It’s the trailing arm that is broken.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

No plans for a new spring plate. It’s the trailing arm that is broken.
oh okay , your pic was in so tight it was tough to see. sounds like spendy repair for sure..
Old 08-03-2021, 10:32 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

The light from the window in the background messed with the resolution. This photos is a bit better.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

honestly really i dont see how that is causing you a problem. All the cutout really does is provide you an adjustment range if it works like I think it does, probably makes adjustment a little easier but not worth money to fix in my mind. . Honestly i would not have paid to have that fixed. But mine is just a casual driver.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:59 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

I don’t expect I’ll get lucky enough with the repair to resolve the vibration issue. The alignment guy didn’t think so.

However the toe is way off on the rear (this tire has 4K kms of easy driving from new) and cannot be adjusted without a repair to the trailing arm. I’ll do the bearing at the same time. If the vibration persists it’s in the transaxle for sure. Everything else would have been covered….unless there’s a potential issue with the clutch that I don’t understand.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i really thought that adjustment was ride height, I did not realize this did rear toe, i really gotta educate myself more lol ...

Good luck with the repair.

Quick Reply: Oil for 915 with lsd