Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Performance Chip Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:29 AM
jmarenas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Idol

This Thread is better entertainment than American Idol! Chip or No Chip, get out and Drive! Have a great Day. John
Old 04-07-2004, 10:40 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: American Idol

Originally posted by jmarenas
This Thread is better entertainment than American Idol! Chip or No Chip, get out and Drive! Have a great Day. John
I like that idea !
Old 04-07-2004, 10:56 AM
raceman77
Advanced

who cares what Loren or anyone else thinks anyhow but l have to say that when l was having a problem switching back to motronic injection from a crap aftermarket standalone on my (chipped)84 Carrera Loren tested my ECU and sent it back to me FOR FREE.not even shipping charges.That`s this guys business and he seems to be good at it too. l`m also pretty happy with my Steve Wong chip though,and that`s my business.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

KC911

As I said, the key point is:

"Advancing the timing beyond that of the '88/'89 reduces the pinging margin
without increased octane. Even with increased octane, pinging is still possible
under certain load conditions."
Old 04-07-2004, 03:12 PM
BGCarrera32
Intermediate

Originally posted by raceman77
who cares what Loren or anyone else thinks anyhow but l have to say that when l was having a problem switching back to motronic injection from a crap aftermarket standalone on my (chipped)84 Carrera Loren tested my ECU and sent it back to me FOR FREE.not even shipping charges.That`s this guys business and he seems to be good at it too. l`m also pretty happy with my Steve Wong chip though,and that`s my business.
That's what Loren doesn't get. If I was in the business of repairing fried DME units, I'd keep my mouth shut. When that chipped DME came in that was fried silly, I'd say "sorry, its toast and this is what it will cost to repair it..., here's why." Since he's been too stupid to lighten up, he'll lose business to Programma or a local shop.

But, oh wait...Iforgot Loren is the only nerd this side of the Atlantic that can repair a 20 year old Bosch board with Atari 2600-ish technology...silly me...
Old 04-07-2004, 04:55 PM
RMA
Advanced

Loren, buddy go ride and have a beer my friend.....

Last edited by RMA; 04-08-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to own a 85 grey market cab. I can say this from driving other cars with chips. I find that chips did make a friends 84 feel as quick as my cab. However other friends who had a 88 cab with a chip was not as quick as my car. So my conclusion is that chips makes US cars more like euro DME, but had less gains in later cars. However this was back in the early 90's and programing may have gotten better. For the record my friends never had problems with the chipped cars.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:13 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Programming has become much better since the tech industry bloomed : )

Especially since they can be programmed specifically to the modifications to squeeze more juice out.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Please!

Programming has become better is marketing hype. What chip supplier told
you that B.S. There's one and only one way to setup a DME unit for various mods
& it has changed in the last 15 years, and that is by multiple tests (for each mod)
by using a dyno and not by playing with a laptop doing trial & error programming.

Let's get real.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

To quote or friend George Costanza, "LET'S GET NUTS!"
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2004, 09:07 PM
TC_SJ
Instructor

I was wonder why Porscher firmware engineer can not program/map the chip like after market chip, so P car can reach to the performance level like those who install mod chip to they car.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:22 PM
si Banker
Advanced

The true definition of insanity is........"doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results". It doesn't appear that anyone is going to change their mind no matter who is correct.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
c2 rower
5th Gear

Hello Loren. My name is Charles Richter. I originally posted the quote that you referenced here in the Pelican BB.

I would like to answer your question. I have run the car with the original factory chip, the Autothority chip with MAF and Steve Wong's chip. The smell at idle has existed in all three cases. Is my nose calibrated? No, it is not. That is just my assesment. The anti tamper plug over the idle mixture has been removed by the PO. I suspect that and the lack of CAT are driving this. For what it's worth, here are my impressions:

The Autothority set up with MAF was nice except for one thing; way too much noise at WOT with the open KN filter. So I sold it for $800 and switched to the oem chip and air sensor/filter. It was oem quiet. How did it run? There was a noticable flat spot coming on off of idle. Is my butt calibrated? No, it is not. That is just my assesment.

So I spent $230 or so on Steve's chip. Flat spot in torque curve gone. Period. More power than oem. Yes. Not quite as much as door #1 while at WOT, but much quieter. Am I happy with it; was it worth $230. Absolutely.

Is Steve Wong Using bull$hit technobabble to sell his product and will it shorten the life of my engine. No, I don't think so. I've read Charles Probst Book on Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management 2x and have taken several undergrad engineering courses on internal combustion engines. Does that make me a genius? No. It's just something that I take an interest in.

Quick Reply: Performance Chip Problems