Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC Radio question (from a new member)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 04:41 PM
911SCRVA
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911SC Radio question (from a new member)

Hi all. Nice to meet you. I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for a week and have been impressed with the amount of knowledge and helpfulness here. So I thought I'd wade in with a few questions. I just bought an 81 911SC with an Alpine head unit, an A/D/S amp, JBL door speakers and A/D/S rear speakers. It barely works. I was going to post pictures, but I can't seem to upload from my laptop. Suffice it to say, it's old and ugly stuff. I want to get a new head unit and speakers, and if I need to, an amp. I'm thinking of the Continental TR&412UB-OR head unit. It's nice (enough) and simple looking. But what about speakers? And do I need an amp? I have very little experience with doing anything electronic but I want to try to install whatever new system I get myself. I've searched but can't find any videos that document the process. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-24-2021, 07:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i dont think you really need an amp for such a small car but a subwoofer is a nice touch so make sure you have an output for one. mine is slim and sits under the drivers seat.
speakers can be very tough to fit in the desired space. i put blaupunk overdrive speakers in that fit with a home made bracket. i dont think they are available anymore. other will chime in for sure.

i have an clarion M508 ,its a nice unit and you can completely turn off the display which is nice at night, and it looks period correct
Old 04-25-2021, 09:50 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stereo

I put in a new alpine head unit in my 86 to replace the old unit. It is incredibly good without an amp or sub. The guy that runs the shop says for the money, alpine is extremely good. He installs some pretty high end stuff. These cars are not quiet so you have to temper your expectations but I was pleasantly surprised with mine.
I see on crutchfield you can get an alpine unit for 200 and Polk audio front component speakers for 170. Then add some rears. That would recreate my system and sound great!

Last edited by Skibum1963; 04-25-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm a fan of Focal speakers.

The Conti head unit has fairly nice, clean lines and avoids the rah-rah of most units, but "will stream music from a iPhone via Bluetooth only" (so SQ might suffer). "The USB connector is made for use with a memory stick and will not charge an iPhone." - Quotes from Continental repr.

I have an Alpine in another vehicle but don't like the looks of it.

Take a look at Blaupunkt and Becker.

An amp is always helpful and you already have them installed.

Best SQ will require a lot of heavy material added to the vehicle, and tweeters at the bottom of the A pillars - not to mention DSP...
Old 04-25-2021, 04:51 PM
Showdown
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the conti head unit and Focal rcx-130 5.5” speakers and while it all looks fine in my 1977 S, the sound quality is only one step up from a tin can radio. Granted I only have two door speakers but let’s make no mistake here: the sound quality is really only sufficient for sitting in traffic. There’s no rocking out with this setup. Then again, there’s no setup in my 911 that will come close to any modern car.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:10 PM
911SCRVA
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
i dont think you really need an amp for such a small car but a subwoofer is a nice touch so make sure you have an output for one. mine is slim and sits under the drivers seat.
speakers can be very tough to fit in the desired space. i put blaupunk overdrive speakers in that fit with a home made bracket. i dont think they are available anymore. other will chime in for sure.

i have an clarion M508 ,its a nice unit and you can completely turn off the display which is nice at night, and it looks period correct

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated!

I've since discovered Bergvill FX Electronics and Tore Bergvil has answered a couple questions for me regarding what harness I'd need to the Continental head unit.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:13 PM
911SCRVA
Track Day

Thanks for the response! I like Alpine but I really like the understatedness of the Continental. But I'm going to look into the Polk speakers. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:15 PM
911SCRVA
Track Day

Thanks for your response! I've heard great things about Focal. Adding them to my list of speakers to investigate.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:18 PM
911SCRVA
Track Day

Tin can -- hahaha. You know, I'm pretty ok with that. I was actually driving around yesterday playing music on my iPhone speaker. It sounded like the crappiest 1970's radio and I still enjoyed it. Felt right somehow.

Quick Reply: 911SC Radio question (from a new member)