Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dome lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dome lights

I have an 88 Coupe and notice that the interior dome lights won't come on with the door opening in that position. They are three-position lights that (I assume) are on, off, and on when door open.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:57 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Yes. These can get sticky. Either take them out and clean them, or perhaps you need new bulbs or assemblies. Mine work on my 88 but occasionally stick. There is also one for your glovebox IIRC.
The following users liked this post:
Todd Nugent (11-26-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 AM
bbal
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the lights only won't work with doors opening, it may be the door switches
Todd Nugent (11-27-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Thanks guys, those are the usual suspects. I'll try the switches first as the lights and bulbs are fine themselves...
Any replacement switches you recommend?
Old 11-24-2020, 03:20 PM
bbal
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a very simple switch. Sprayed mine with vinegar to get some corrosion off and it brought it back to life. If you do replace the switch be sure to not drop the wire while you change it out.
Todd Nugent (11-26-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 04:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

so dumb question ... you tried both doors right ? it should come on when either door is opened..

personally i have a Targa so find the light completely useless anyway .. very weak and way back there..

also there should be two rubber " condoms" covering the switches , if they are missing or damaged, water can get in.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCDqEQAvD_BwE

Last edited by theiceman; 11-24-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:03 AM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Originally Posted by theiceman
so dumb question ... you tried both doors right ? it should come on when either door is opened..

personally i have a Targa so find the light completely useless anyway .. very weak and way back there..

also there should be two rubber " condoms" covering the switches , if they are missing or damaged, water can get in.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCDqEQAvD_BwE
Yeah those are long gone. I'll start working the switch and work backwards to the light. I might also replace the bulbs with some LEDs.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:44 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd Nugent
Yeah those are long gone. I'll start working the switch and work backwards to the light. I might also replace the bulbs with some LEDs.
The door post switches (one also located in your frunk to light that area but believe its a different part number) wear out. I would replace them both and ensure he rubber covers are in place. Then clean the light switches themselves. You can buy the light switch assemblies new as well and don't think they are expensive.

If you have a factory alarm, the alarm triggers using the door post and frunk switches. My factory alarm works perfectly and I use it all the time so I keep a couple of spare door post switches and rubber covers in my emergency kit in the frunk along with things like window up/down switches, a full set of replacement lights, alternator/air conditioning belt, tire goo, tire pump, fuses, etc.

Good luck.
Todd Nugent (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
The door post switches (one also located in your frunk to light that area but believe its a different part number) wear out. I would replace them both and ensure he rubber covers are in place. Then clean the light switches themselves. You can buy the light switch assemblies new as well and don't think they are expensive.

If you have a factory alarm, the alarm triggers using the door post and frunk switches. My factory alarm works perfectly and I use it all the time so I keep a couple of spare door post switches and rubber covers in my emergency kit in the frunk along with things like window up/down switches, a full set of replacement lights, alternator/air conditioning belt, tire goo, tire pump, fuses, etc.

Good luck.
I have the factory alarm but no lonihave the key. Not sure if they are available from porsche anymore...
Great suggestions on the switches!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:07 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

I have the factory alarm but no lonihave the key. Not sure if they are available from porsche anymore...
I had the same problem. Porsche won't make more keys. I replaced the lock/key assembly in the door with one I found at a salvage website. Worked like a champ. My alarm is fully functional except it doesn't flash the lights, only sounds the horn and cuts off the fuel. Nice to have. Not sure how effective it would be, but better than nothing. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:13 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I had the same problem. Porsche won't make more keys. I replaced the lock/key assembly in the door with one I found at a salvage website. Worked like a champ. My alarm is fully functional except it doesn't flash the lights, only sounds the horn and cuts off the fuel. Nice to have. Not sure how effective it would be, but better than nothing. Good luck.
Brilliant! It's now on my list!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:26 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
so dumb question ... you tried both doors right ? it should come on when either door is opened.
I didn’t notice the answer to iceman’s very good question. Yes to your question about the three position switch of the dome light itself. If they don’t come on in the ‘on’ position your problem is not the door switch. And original Porsche key blanks are available from most good locksmith shops, at least for my ‘67 and ‘69. If you don’t have an example key you’ll have to pul the unit and take it to them.

Last edited by raspritz; 11-26-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Originally Posted by raspritz
I didn’t notice the answer to iceman’s very good question. Also, on my ‘69 the dome lights themselves have internal 3-position rocker switches (you rock the lens up and back to turn them on/off and regulate intensity) You are sure your dome lights are actually switched on, right?
Yes, my domes are three position. Door, off and on. They work fine in the manual on position so I will troubleshoot the door switch next.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:50 PM
76FJ55
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

When I bought my 84 it didn't come with an alarm key either. you can see my process of creating a working key in the thread I posted (How I went about making an alarm key) over in PP.
Todd Nugent (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:54 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

That's awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: Dome lights