Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1980 911 Targa SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 02:24 AM
sleepersd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1980 911 Targa SC

I have 1980 targa sc for past 4 years.in that time my mechanic did a lot of work on the car ,I tried to restore it ,so we also did top end engine rebuild.shop that did the car it’s well known shop and they are doing tons of Porsche’s,but I guess mine is something else.
When car is cold engine revs up and down while idle,when you press the gas car is choking and dies out . He did pretty much everything on the car ,he dropped the engine twice this year ,change camshafts ,re did heads again,but he is saying that this is first time in his long career that he can find a problem .So I didn’t drove car since last year ,basically car has spent more time in the shop than in mine garage.
I’m located in Chicago trying to find some good shop that can take care of it and hopefully I’ll have a car ready for next summer.
Please let me know if you guys know someone or have any suggestion.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

sounds like its running really rich while cold , not enough control pressure or AAR not working.. was all this checked ?
The following users liked this post:
sleepersd (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 09:32 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...i-chicago.html

Enter this into Google
pelicanparts chicago site:forums.pelicanparts.com
The following users liked this post:
sleepersd (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:15 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

So the well known shop that has done tons of Porsche's can't figure this out? I would think that shop would need to reach out to another shop to help them out. Why should you have to do it?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:09 PM
sleepersd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by michaelo
So the well known shop that has done tons of Porsche's can't figure this out? I would think that shop would need to reach out to another shop to help them out. Why should you have to do it?
I’m really not sure what to do anymore.He had also guys from other shops coming by and trying to work on it ,but they couldn’t find anything. I have spent a lot of money on that car in that shop ,he is working on the car since 2016 but the car is seating in his shop for past one year straight. I’m not sure what is right way for me to do ,should I just pick up the car and go to another shop?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:10 PM
sleepersd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theiceman
sounds like its running really rich while cold , not enough control pressure or AAR not working.. was all this checked ?
I’m really not sure ,but I know for sure that we replaced WUR ,new gas pump was installed so I think that he also checked AAR .
Old 11-01-2020, 07:32 PM
Showdown
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve heard really good things about Bart at BTR in Northbrook- some of the guys at FuelFed have had him work on their cars. I’ll be taking my new to me 77S there for some work this fall.

There’s also Midwest Performance Cars; the owner is a great guy and I’ve heard they do too not h work as well- they’re in the west loop.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:43 PM
sleepersd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Showdown
I’ve heard really good things about Bart at BTR in Northbrook- some of the guys at FuelFed have had him work on their cars. I’ll be taking my new to me 77S there for some work this fall.

There’s also Midwest Performance Cars; the owner is a great guy and I’ve heard they do too not h work as well- they’re in the west loop.
my car is by Bart in his shop ,he is great guy and great mechanic ,he just can’t figure it out,I guess it’s one of those problems .
I also took my car to MPC,they told me that I have to re do whole top end engine again ,Bart told me that this shouldn’t be the case ,that everything was done right first time

so I guess I’m trying to find 3rd shop to have one more opinion from someone else
Old 11-04-2020, 12:29 PM
NikosF
AutoX

Try Rick at Fischer Motors in Lake Barrington.

Quick Reply: 1980 911 Targa SC