Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advice Needed - Barn Find 911 G Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:09 PM
DirtyBerti
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed - Barn Find 911 G Series

Hello All - new to the forum and likely soon to Porsche ownership...

I don't have all details of the vehicle, but I am planning on taking ownership of an abandoned G Series 911 on my family's farmland. I do not yet have any title to confirm year or specific model, but I am told it is either a '74 or 77'. No motor, body visually appears solid, has transmission and full interior (though will need to be fully refinished).

I'm looking for guidance and resources on how to get started to plan this out. I will update as I have more information. Regarding my situation, I have 4 children and while I am financially well, I do not have an exorbitant amount of cash to throw at it for the time being. My end goal is a great driving experience and a vehicle that I can have fun with and create memories for a few decades.

That said, where would the forum suggest I start planning? Being that the vehicle doesn't have a powerplant, I planned on starting there. I'd love to get a pure Porsche experience with a NA Porsche 6, but I'm not sure that will fit my budget. I've heard others suggest a Subaru flat motor (potentially a WRX swap), but I'm not married to the idea and again, unclear where to start.

Understanding I may get picked apart for this post, I am past the point of tire kicking, but not yet at a budget or timeframe for completion. Just hopeful for some beginner's guidance.

Thank you!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:12 PM
MIAdragon
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need pics of it’s current condition.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:13 PM
DirtyBerti
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MIAdragon
Need pics of it’s current condition.
Fair. I hope to be able to add them sometime next weekend.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

For sure, given a car like you describe, before you begin you need to ruthlessly assess the car and what it needs, develop a plan, develop a timeframe balancing what you can do yourself as a time-consuming hobby versus will farm out, come up with a cost estimate (which you should then multiply by at least 1.5) versus your budget over the time period of the restoration (probably several years), and then decide if it makes sense given your goals. Most restorations do not make economic sense, so it would be best for you to have other goals.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:00 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

A Subaru engine swap is going to be a hell of a plumbing project. If you're not looking for big power and just want to tool around in a cool old car, why not a built VW flat four: https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=32894

Last edited by Shawn Stanford; 10-19-2020 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:52 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a fool's errand. You're in way over your head.
You will spend $100k to end up with a $35k car.
Sell the abandoned car and use the money towards a nice car you can drive in this lifetime.
This is the best advice you will receive.
The following 9 users liked this post by sugarwood:
Aloof (11-08-2020), Babyray (10-25-2020), gerry100 (11-05-2020), josephvman (10-24-2020), NikosF (11-04-2020), oldskewel (10-24-2020), raspritz (10-25-2020), RFP (10-31-2020), sirdaft1 (11-13-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:41 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Have you decided on a budget? That will probably tell you whether you have much hope of getting this done.

There is a 3.0L engine for sale on Pelican right now, has had head studs done. $11.5K, seems like a decent deal.

If that's too much, then I hate to say it, but you are probably in way over your head on this.

Mark
Old 10-24-2020, 05:09 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

Old 10-24-2020, 05:21 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
This is a fool's errand. You're in way over your head.
You will spend $100k to end up with a $35k car.
Sell the abandoned car and use the money towards a nice car you can drive in this lifetime.
This is the best advice you will receive.
This is a little harsher than I would have stated it but pretty accurate and solid advice.
Trying to do one of these with a limited budget does not work too well.
The following users liked this post:
sirdaft1 (11-13-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 08:39 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll take a different spin at this : are you getting the car for free and do you have space to store it, indoors - for many years?

If the answer is yes, then go for it. You don't want to wait until your kids are grown and kick yourself for not doing this later.. You can always do little things while you save up for appropriate motor. Its easy to redo carpet, interior pieces, suspension, clean/ polish etc and if your patient- get fair prices on things buying used on this forum or others.

As others have stated a P motor is going to cost 12-15 K, I wouldn't waste money on doing a conversion. My .02 a 74 is more valuable than a 77 and depending on the smog requirements of where you live would also influence my decision . Just remember- if you think something will cost 1K it will cost 2K... or more.

Good luck, post photos when you get the car. Lots of knowledge on this forum or others to guide you as you move forward
Old 10-24-2020, 08:44 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

I would also ad that a 74 did not have galvanized metal, there will be rust . If you get car for free- I would remove all carpet and ice pick the entire underside before you spend any money on this.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:07 AM
Showdown
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Having witnessed the trajectories of a few friends’ barn finds (not Porsches) I can unequivocally say run, run far far away.

Every one of these projects save for one which was owned by a guy who owns an auto mechanic shop died. The projects got way too expensive and took too long. Usually the point comes at 5 years and $25-30k above budget with still no running car.

I would say if you’re not a mechanic then budget at least 5 years, maybe more and double your budget.

don’t get me wrong, the allure is great and threads here and elsewhere are seductive but the reality is harsh.

you know what they say; buy the best, most sorted car you can find and drive it like you stole it!

that said, if you go for it make the most of it and document it and make it a family project- the kids will love the experience and your partner may just love you more for keeping them occupied!! 😜

Old 10-25-2020, 01:43 PM
DirtyBerti
6th Gear

Thank you all for weighing in. I got a look at it today, and albeit is was more of a survey look due to where the car is, I grabbed a few photos. The door is seized so I couldn't get exact VIN or model info, but the oil sticker checks out as a '76. Is there any way to determine exact model on these? It has flared arches and the whale tail. Someone asked if I have indoor space to store - yes plenty, without displacing my or my wife's daily. I also very much respect the advice to stay away. Probably the smart thing. Also probably not what I'm going to do. I've decided I'm going to bring it home, likely next weekend. My plan is to clean it out thoroughly, get it titled, and start stripping her. From there, I hope to begin piecing together the suspensions, wiring, plumbing, etc with the engine and cosmetics being the final piece. I am looking at this as a 3-5 year project with multiple helping hands that are eager to help me see this through. Budget over that time will be $20-30k. Again fully understand the pragmatic thing is take that and get something finished like a super clear 996 or even something like a M roadster, but this car is calling to me. I believe I shared it the OP I kicked these tires 10 years ago but was at a very different time in my life. Now I have 3 boys, 2 of which have voiced an interest in helping me with this.

So, I'm going for it, please pray for me, and I will update with more pictures once it's home. Either next weekend or the following.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:00 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
A Subaru engine swap is going to be a hell of a plumbing project. If you're not looking for big power and just want to tool around in a cool old car, why not a built VW flat four: https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=32894
If your going to commit to a project of this magnitude I would personally spend the extra money and stick with a Porsche engine. Your going to end up spending twice as much on this project than you anticipated or planned for. There is nothing wrong with a STI motor or car, I owned a 2015 and drove it for 4 years. Ringland failures are all over the internet but I never had an issue with any failure or reliability. The project will definitely value higher sticking with an OEM powerplant.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:58 PM
DirtyBerti
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Babyray
If your going to commit to a project of this magnitude I would personally spend the extra money and stick with a Porsche engine. Your going to end up spending twice as much on this project than you anticipated or planned for. There is nothing wrong with a STI motor or car, I owned a 2015 and drove it for 4 years. Ringland failures are all over the internet but I never had an issue with any failure or reliability. The project will definitely value higher sticking with an OEM powerplant.
Yeah, I've made the decision that a non-Porsche powerplant is not an option.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed - Barn Find 911 G Series