Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 SC or Carrera 3.2 Seat Time and Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 PM
GaryLY
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 911 SC or Carrera 3.2 Seat Time and Advice

I'm seriously considering an SC or 3.2, but I have no seat time in either car. Being in North East Arkansas, I never see these on the road. I've seen a few in other states on Turo or Drive share. Any chance anyone is close by and thinking of renting out your car?

Currently I have a 2010 Boxster S with fabspeed headers and a Softronic tune. I'm looking for a different experience but something still clearly Porsche. I'm not interested in anything newer than my current car because I have found the limits on the newer cars to be far too good to enjoy on the street. I'd also appreciate any feedback on what this group thinks about what I am considering. Anyone done anything similar? As I am a cab kind of guy, I'm seriously considering Targas to get the top down feel but have a bit more room in the back for my 6 year old than the cab.

As far as use, I commute 100 miles a day. I'd really like to add the SC or 3.2 to the rotation in my commute (currently, I alternate between my 987 and a Mazda 3). I'm thinking 1 or 2 days a week. I also do weekend spirited drives through the local hills.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

There has to be some for sale in your area. Go check them out and drive them. Assuming you are serious about your intention to purchase, there's not reason not to.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:16 PM
GaryLY
Advanced

As far as I can tell, nothing closer than a 3 hour drive. I'm really looking for more than a test drive. It is hard to get the impression I am looking for in the time usually allotted for a test drive.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

I test drove both before buying my 3.2 backdate, they felt very similar but it felt like the 3.2 was more torquey and usable on the street. What really did it for me was the style of the backdate on the car as I always wanted an outlaw 911. I would make the decision on the overall condition of the car you're looking at. As far as driving enjoyment they felt very similar to someone inexperienced in air-cooled 911s.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:45 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

try to purchase a Euro car. they are superior.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Stick with USA-who knows who legalized it in the 80's. Also ugly side marker lights BUT skinnier bumpers.
Have you communicated with local PCA Chapter to go to an event whenever things open up again?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:26 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Using an SC or 3.2 to commute 100 miles a day in an Arkansas summer is going to be a miserable experience with the stock a/c, even if it's working correctly. Budget $5-6k to hotrod the entire system if you want it to cool the way your Boxster does. SC's, early 3.2's, and G50 3.2's are distinctly different market with regard to pricing, so I'd start with a budget and work from there. If my budget buys me a really edgy G50, an average 3.2 915, or a terrific, low-mileage and largely original SC, I'd personally go with the SC every time. I'd check with your local PCA group, as there has to be someone in your area that has an impact bumper car you can get a drive in. Here's a link to the Ozark Region PCA: http://ozarkpca.org/
Old 08-09-2020, 02:51 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

My personally opinion on the g series cars is an 86,89, or 74-77 The 86 is the last of the 915 and has the 3.2 motronic. The 89 is last of the era. The 74 is light, skinny, and awesome. If you can find a non roached chassis, don’t let the mag case motor scare you. Carbs or efi it Perfect for an iroc hotrod

formyour use case though I’d probably look for a g50 car.

im not a fan of the cis cars. Personally.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Guidus
Stick with USA-who knows who legalized it in the 80's. Also ugly side marker lights BUT skinnier bumpers.
Have you communicated with local PCA Chapter to go to an event whenever things open up again?
that's what a ppi is for - to determine condition.
the American version is substandard - like out or not. overweight and under powered, in comparison.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:48 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Either will give you a different experience and something much more clearly Porsche. Neither is a decent DD for you in summer.

The 3.2L engines are far superior to the SC, not that the SC is bad in any way, but the EFI is much better sports car option than CIS on the SC. It is easy to mildly hotrod the EFI with a new chip.

But... the SC weighs less and is not so much of a luxo-barge as the 3.2L cars.

You aren't too far from memphis so why not join PCA and take a vacation there or attend that chapter's meetings to learn more.

Or just jump into either model after a good PPI. Neither is rare and can be sold if you don't like it. If you buy in the fall and sell in spring you might even make a profit.

Both will need long term maintenance if it has not been done, including replacing every rubber suspension bushing in the car. Not too spendy for parts and you can learn to do your own labor.

Safety issues include tires > 6 years old, new rubber brake hoses, and one fuel line on the 3.2L motors.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:19 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Euro car is 2557 Lb vs USA 2667 Lb- 231 hp vs 207 hp
I don't imagine you would notice unless you find the car that hits you over the head!!!!!
Old 08-10-2020, 12:06 AM
GaryLY
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I have found a 1982 that really interests me, but you all have me leaning toward a 3.2.

I'm really hoping to find a car that has been gone through mechanically bit is a driver from a cosmetic standpoint. The market seems to be all over the place and it may be tough to find what I want.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Dave Fulton
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryLY
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I have found a 1982 that really interests me, but you all have me leaning toward a 3.2.

I'm really hoping to find a car that has been gone through mechanically bit is a driver from a cosmetic standpoint. The market seems to be all over the place and it may be tough to find what I want.
Go drive the SC and see what you think. I drove at lease 12-14 that I looked at both 3.0 and 3.2's. I ended up buying a 83 SC because it was a rare color and in great condition I thought at that time. I was going to have it as an interim car for no more than 5 years, flip it and move up. That was 26 years ago now lol. I agree the 3.2's feel like they might have a bit more power which they do HP wise but also heavier. Every time I think of selling mine I drive it and it puts a smile on my face. Very nimble a drivers car for sure. I used mine as a daily driver living in Florida for about 3 years and yes the AC leaves a little to be desired sometimes, mine was upgraded with extra vents under the dash and another set of coils under the car to assist. I came from a generation that we never had AC in our cars growing up with the old 2 / 60 AC. Two windows down at 60 mph if your old enough to remember LOL.

Anyway long winded here but I am an analog guy in a digital world and what ever year you pick with either a 3.0 or 3.2 think you will enjoy the pure driving experience of the old air cooled G cars. Go drive them both. After you drive enough of them and get a feel for the nuances you will get in one and say this is the one for me. It will just feel right. Just my 2 cents and 26 years with the same car. You will feel one with it like riding a motorcycle.. Report back when you find one. I live in Chattanooga area a ways from you wish we were closer. Good luck, drive anything you can and then form your own opinion. Don't rule anything out until you try it.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree with "don't rule anything out until you try it".

I would focus on finding the car that really appeals to you and less around the details on paper. Go checkout that 1982.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:34 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Condition, condition, condition... either an SC or 3.2 Carrera can be a very solid car. They will be similar in overall feel. There are slight pluses and minuses... SCs CIS versus Carrera's 3.2 DME etc., but condition and maintenance history will be the single biggest factor. I would much rather have an excellently maintained SC than a ratty G50 (late Carrera). If you can afford a great 87 to 89 G50, no doubt, that is the pick of the crop, but if you can't really swing that, look at what you can afford for an excellent condition example.

For SCs and Carreras, some the key points:
  • All SCs and Carreras up to 1986 will have the 915 transmission, which was superseded by the G50 for 1987. A good condition G50 is better than a good 915, but a good 915 is still a very decent prospect. Neither is cheap to rebuild, but the G50 is very $$, so be wary of one not in good shape
  • In 1986 a new dashboard with bigger vents was introduced. If you are planning to maximize your AC performance, having the 1986+ gives you a leg up from the get-go
  • All of these cars had the fully galvanized bodywork (introduced in 1976), so corrosion is not as much of an issue. However, they are old cars, you have to really check them out. Also, pay particular attention to the battery area where a leaking battery in the past could have caused serious corrosion issues in an otherwise solid car.
  • 1985 introduced a new seat generation which resulted in higher seat placement (less headroom). The seat mounts were changed in 1986 to get the new seats lower. So, if you are tall (as I am), you will find an '85 a little less comfortable in terms of headroom and legroom under the steering wheel.
  • Both the 3.2 and 3.0 engines are very solid. The main issues that you are likely to come across are broken head studs (particularly the exhaust side) and excessively worn valve guides. The general consensus is that the headstuds is more of an SC issue and the valve guides are more of a Carrera thing, but there are examples of these issues for both. That said, the motors are generally very reliable.
  • Think hard before you go down the route of buying a car that needs a lot of work and fixing it up. Although these cars are quite simple, almost everything for them in expensive. I took an OK, but tired "driver" 3.2 and comprehensively refreshed it and it was a expensive undertaking... and I did all the work except the machine shop items for the engine rebuild and the transaxle myself. Now, I probably overdid a few things, but you will be financially far ahead finding a car in excellent condition and paying a premium verses going the fixer-upper route.
There are many good resources for the 911 out there. You may want to get a few books like Peter Zimmerman's guide to give you a more detailed overview.
The following 4 users liked this post by 500:
grgallo (08-29-2020), Just one more (09-14-2020), oldskewel (08-12-2020), RFP (08-22-2020)

Quick Reply: 911 SC or Carrera 3.2 Seat Time and Advice