Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 PM
FlyingDutchmannn
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First Porsche!

Excited to say I will be picking up my first Porsche next week! She's only got 60K miles and appears to be super clean. I'm a general car guy who's always had BMW M cars but excited to join the Porsche community. I'll pick it up in LA next week and drive it back to my home in San Francisco. Here are some pictures, with more to come on my trip.

As a side note, do you guys think this car has been lowered at all? It kind of looks a little low to me but hard to tell.

The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 10:55 PM
archstanton
Advanced

Congratulations! Great looking car. Year?
Old 05-22-2020, 10:58 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats!
Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Congratulations.
and most definitely lowered.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

definitely looks lowered to me.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:35 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Wow, congratulations! She's a beauty.

For sure it has been lowered. I actually think the rear is too low. The car should have a slight nose-down rake.

Mark
Old 05-22-2020, 11:47 PM
FlyingDutchmannn
Track Day

The owner didn't think so but I knew it looked lowered! Sounds like it's below euro even. I'll have to get connected with a good indy shop here in the bay and add that to the list of projects. The modern Kenwood head unit needs to be changed ASAP. The Porsche Classic Nav looks like an interesting replacement. I also dislike the 3rd snorkel brake light but sounds like I'd be left with a hole in the rear lid if I removed it.

By the way, the car is an 87.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:04 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure, hopefully a Targa owner can chime in, but I believe in 1987 the Targa had the 3rd brake light inside the rear window glass, at the bottom. At least some of them. They were changing things year to year back in those days. My '85 cab was one of the last years with no 3rd brake light, for example, and when the cabs did get the 3rd brake light it was an ET/snorkel one since there is no window.

But it also looks like the car may have had a rear spoiler (whether original or not). It has a front spoiler, and usually you'd have both front and rear or none.

Car looks great. Congrats on getting it (next week).
Old 05-23-2020, 12:26 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Have a great drive up the coast And it is lowered as they all came higher due to headlight height laws in the 80's.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:29 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

I had an '87 Coupe with factory spoilers that had the "ET" third brake light. My '88 Targa, no spoilers, had the bottom rear window brake light. My '84 Targa, no third brake light! I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in, but did the third brake light location depend upon spoiler/no spoiler? I don't recall either of my 930's having the "ET" light however (one was an '84 and I assume wouldn't), and now that I think of it I don't think I've ever seen a 930 with it.

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Not sure, hopefully a Targa owner can chime in, but I believe in 1987 the Targa had the 3rd brake light inside the rear window glass, at the bottom. At least some of them. They were changing things year to year back in those days. My '85 cab was one of the last years with no 3rd brake light, for example, and when the cabs did get the 3rd brake light it was an ET/snorkel one since there is no window.

But it also looks like the car may have had a rear spoiler (whether original or not). It has a front spoiler, and usually you'd have both front and rear or none.

Car looks great. Congrats on getting it (next week).
Old 05-25-2020, 12:57 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

No third light in 1984
Old 05-25-2020, 01:00 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

86 was the beginning of the Gov't mandated 3rd brake light. My 88 coupe had it up high on the interior back glass. It also had a factory tail.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:03 PM
FlyingDutchmannn
Track Day

Somewhere along the line it seems the factory rear spoiler was removed. That being said, I've read that there were 3 rear break options in 87. That included a taller snorkel option for cars with a rear spoiler and a shorter snorkel for non-spoilers. It seems the one I have is the shorter variation. Down the road I may return this car to factory and install a Carrera tail. I'd probably put the 3rd brake light inside the rear windshield instead of the snorkel.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:10 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchmannn
Somewhere along the line it seems the factory rear spoiler was removed. That being said, I've read that there were 3 rear break options in 87. That included a taller snorkel option for cars with a rear spoiler and a shorter snorkel for non-spoilers. It seems the one I have is the shorter variation. Down the road I may return this car to factory and install a Carrera tail. I'd probably put the 3rd brake light inside the rear windshield instead of the snorkel.
That's exactly the sort of story I expected. They probably swapped the tall snorkel for a shorter one when removing the tail. Good to know.
If there was not already a hole there, they could have just left it off. You can see there is enough uncertainty about what is supposed to be there, that I doubt you'd need to have one if you don't want one.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:44 PM
nyckillaor
2nd Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchmannn
Excited to say I will be picking up my first Porsche next week! She's only got 60K miles and appears to be super clean. I'm a general car guy who's always had BMW M cars but excited to join the Porsche community. I'll pick it up in LA next week and drive it back to my home in San Francisco. Here are some pictures, with more to come on my trip.

As a side note, do you guys think this car has been lowered at all? It kind of looks a little low to me but hard to tell.

huge congratulations looking for one myself

Quick Reply: First Porsche!