Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 12:06 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Budget 911 Engine Refresh Adventure, Cant Afford Pros, DIVE IN

Hey Rennlist, new member here.

So here's the story:

My dad's neighbor had this old 70s 911 when I was a kid that I always thought was awesome; I literally grew up next to this car. I had the opportunity to buy it 5-6 years ago, so I pulled the trigger. It had been sitting in a garage since 1992, but it was far from perfect. The brakes were seized/dragging from sitting, the paint and interior and weatherstripping were shot, the suspension was worn out, and the engine and transmission leak a crazy amount of oil, like over a quart a week.

I got a great deal since this was just before the giant explosion in 911 pricing, but unfortunately that giant price increase affected used parts as well. Used 3.2L engines skyrocketed from $5-7,000 to $12-15,000. I can't afford that, at all, my daily is a 20 year old honda lolz

I'm a firm believer that even super complex jobs are achievable for almost anyone if you break them up into small enough steps! I'm just a hobbyist mechanic, and I've never torn into an aircooled car before, so I'm really clueless on most of this stuff. Would appreciate any support or tips; if you see me doing something incorrectly, let me know! I don't make any money off from youtube, I do this mainly just to share knowledge, passion, and hopefully inspire others to dive in to something they've never done before. I see so many posts on here from people wanting to get 'good' at fixing cars, but the most important step is WILLINGNESS TO TRY. I've never done this. I have no experience with these cars. Let's do it!

Here's the link for the first episode where I go over the car, discuss finding an affordable 911, and talk about the goals and overall outline of the project.

Episode 2 is the How To on removing the engine/transmission. I'd never done this before, and apart from running into a few road blocks, it went pretty smoothly. I documented this partially to help everyone else out, and partially so I know how to put it back together

Episode 3: Checking the head studs!

Episode 4 just dropped! Leak Down Test!!!!Project Airkult Episode 4: Checking the health of the engine with a leak down test! This will let me know if I need valve work or rings. Another huge roll of the dice here, on how much it is going to cost to make right.

Also, do NOT buy a harbor freight leak down tester; they're pretty bad.

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7

Episode 8

Ep 915

Last edited by ADDvanced; 06-27-2020 at 12:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ADDvanced:
Bossing (04-24-2020), jmd09C2S (04-26-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice project.. like that JP Special pin stripping. I got 2 min in your first vid.. had to stop watching got pretty dizzy on the cam going back n forth to quick..lol! I’m going thru the same project
from blown airbox to the broken head studs and lots of little things needs to address from PO neglected.

Prior to, I acquired the Wayne’s, and Bentleys manual it’s a must to have and of course all the web knowledge. Started checking on special tools needed and researched well in advance like almost a yr prior to tackling the job. Looks like you’re
right on track already. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2020, 02:33 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Yeah, you should skip past that part. I got a lot of feedback not to do that again, and it ends pretty much right after you gave up and never happens again. Sorry.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:29 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice project. Awesome vids. Subscribed.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Waynes engine rebuilding book is worth its weight in gold. Its like engine rebuilding for dummys. I was pretty familiar with how to do it but i found the part numbers/ torque specs and timing spec invaluable.
The following users liked this post:
911h20 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 04:56 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

My humbe suggestions:

You should plug all hoses you remove, specially oil and fuel so that no debris find it way in.
It’s good practice that when you open a hose connection, you immediately plug both ends.

If you plan to rebuild your drive shaft CV joints and remove the shafts remember to intall a bolt in rear bearing so that the bearing don’t come a part. The droveshaft hold it together. This is important if you have to roll the car wo/drive shafts. Recommend that you check the CV joints, rubber and grease.

Consider also to mark everything so that all parts go back in original location. This very important when you take the engine apart.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vane
My humbe suggestions:

You should plug all hoses you remove, specially oil and fuel so that no debris find it way in.
It’s good practice that when you open a hose connection, you immediately plug both ends.

If you plan to rebuild your drive shaft CV joints and remove the shafts remember to intall a bolt in rear bearing so that the bearing don’t come a part. The droveshaft hold it together. This is important if you have to roll the car wo/drive shafts. Recommend that you check the CV joints, rubber and grease.

Consider also to mark everything so that all parts go back in original location. This very important when you take the engine apart.
I plugged most things when I dropped it, but yeah, should do that on the oil tank still in the car and whatnot. I haven't really looked at the axles yet, the boots apepar to be in decent shape.

One thing I did this time, is I recorded 5-6 minutes of just going around the engine slowly, and moving hoses, showing connections, showing orientation of things. It's going to be SUPER helpful in a few weeks.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:29 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Episode 3 is up! Going over the engine and checking the head studs! Pretty scary moments in this video. The info is probably pretty basic for most 911 guys but it was all new to me, I'm learning a ton.

oldskewel (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 12:37 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I really like how the video goes at hyperspeed while doing the stuff that needs no explanation (but still, everything is shown), then you slow down to tell the story on the interesting parts. I wish more YouTube videos did that. Glad to see things going well so far.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i pulled my engine for a broken stud, by the time i got it to the stand and rotated it three more fell out lol.

its all part of the process.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:07 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Episode 4: Doing a leak down test to assess how bad the engine is:

Last edited by ADDvanced; 05-04-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i can relate..and i even got my son to help.

Attachment 1342807
Old 05-04-2020, 07:44 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Heh. Yup. Although before I started this project I sanded down/degreased my $25 engine stand and sprayed it w hammered metallic grey enamel, the wheels, gloss black, and then threw some magnus walker stickers on it. Something is wrong w me.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:33 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Propose you check the alternator bearings & slip ring carbons. Also the fan housing for cracks, mine was and it can be welded.
I don’t know how much you used power tools, but I would be extremely careful when fastening any fasteners with it. High risk for thread stripping.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vane
Propose you check the alternator bearings & slip ring carbons. Also the fan housing for cracks, mine was and it can be welded.
I don’t know how much you used power tools, but I would be extremely careful when fastening any fasteners with it. High risk for thread stripping.
You mean for reassembly? Makes sense. I'll see if I can find those alternator parts, if you have any links let me know.

New episode is up:

oldskewel (05-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Budget 911 Engine Refresh Adventure, Cant Afford Pros, DIVE IN