Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What to expect to pay for paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:55 AM
dascar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect to pay for paint job?

I'm curious if anyone out there has had their Porsche painted recently. My 84 Slate Blue has 140k on it and is rock-chipped pretty badly. I'm not looking for a "perfect" paint job necessarily as the car has very high miles anyway. I'm even considering going to (shudder) MAACO and ask for their very, very best. I just can't justify spending $8000 on a paint job for the car - especially if it goes to the track with the club every now and then.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:19 AM
dakar34
Advanced

I've seen both. The $450 job ("tape and rape") looks good from 10 feet away, but close up you'll see the poor quality. In my area a paint job equal to or better than the factory would cost about $4500. I don't know if there is something in between. You don't want it to look crappy. If you have a cheap one done you might do a lot of prep work yourself, as that is one place they cut costs and it is crucial. Then after it's done polish it get a nice surface. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:29 PM
si Banker
Advanced

I would rather put up with the old paint rather than do a "tape and rape". I think you would lower the value of the car if you do a Macco type job. You would be better off going to Home Depot and buying a new brush and five gallons of paint.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:40 PM
markwemple
Instructor

Actually, it depends on which MAACO. Some are better than others. I have seen crappy $8k jobs. Look at the real work and not the price. Too many people think that paint on a Porsche should be expensive. Nope. Better than GM, yes but new VWs come with excellent paint. Find someone who will not charge the "Porsche " premium and look at recent and old work.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:59 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

I have had three cars painted at Maaco, none of them a P-car though. The first one I did the stripping and prep and primer work. 6yrs later the car still looks really nice. I first talked to the owner, to find out the compatable primers to use with their paints. The second 2, I let them do it all, no problems at all, has been over 2 yrs on both. Between the 3 cars less than a grand for all 3 paint jobs. I have known the local owner since they opened.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:52 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I went through this two years ago when I got my 944 repainted. From across the parking lot, every place I went to for an estimate told me $5-8k for a good (no, not great, but good) paint job. I was getting frustrated because, well, let's fact it... my 944 is a driver and just isn't worth that kind of money.

So, for grins, I went to my local Maaco, which has a reputation for being one of the better ones. I got an estimate for $1k + $600 in body work. I decided that the areas where I'd be most likely to have a paint failure would be along any tape lines. So, I simply stripped down the car and eliminated any place that would likely have a tape line.

It looked like this when I reassembled it:

Yes, the paint has some flaws in it, but you aren't going to notice unless you actively look for it. Also, the paint is a little more prone to stone chips which is likely the result of them not applying it all that thick. I'd imagine, though, that you might be able to get them to paint it heavier for more money.

Now, I'm not saying this is the approach to go. It's one thing to paint a $5k car with a cheaper paint job, but the more valuable 911, well, that's up to you. Remember, the prep work is the most difficult part of painting, and if you're willing to strip it down yourself, it's not all that difficult for someone with a clue to spray it. Just make sure that, if this is the route you decide to take, that you look at the other cars they've worked on to make sure that they are a worthwhile shop.

BB.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:44 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

avg good paint job will run 5k.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:31 AM
jonnyw
Advanced

If your interesed in shipping the car off to the midwest. Which i know sounds crazy but quite a few porsche guys including myself went to Car Motor Coach in southern Il.

Great prices and they do damn gorgeous work. I had a complete repaint from bare metal on my 73 and With transport i was right around 3000$ !

My journey wasnt quite like Denver but a few of their clients actually shippid their cars from cali to Il!

email me if you would like their contact info!
Old 02-29-2004, 05:09 AM
ebsalem
Instructor

when State Farm had the opportunity to fund repainting my '72 from the doors and hood back it was around $5200, the shop wanted another $3,000 to do the hood and front fenders which I didn't have at the time. Your post got me thinking so I called this AM, now they only want $1500.

All that said their work is fabulous.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:59 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do these guys get all these quotes from? Thanks to a child vandal, on my 928S4 I had the bonnet, front, and every panel on the left side done for I think 450 Euros. Work that one out. It was a fantastic job. Don't go to these large companies! I asked around, friends, colleagues, they pointed me towards a local guy who had done this work for years with an excellent reputation. I gave him cash (always helps get that price down). I've used him again for my Ford Mondeo, and I 'm about to use him again for my 911. Before you ask where he is, he is in Holland.
Good Luck.
Justin.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:24 AM
timlooney
Instructor

My Buddy just had his Durango painted at the local Maaco (Chelmsford, MA) for $550. He stripped all of the trim off, removed the lights, the grill and all of the things that could be taken off. It looks ok, not great but it comes with a 4 year warranty on the job.

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:52 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Good paint and materials will cost at least $1K. A decent paint job will cost at least $5K. Show quality will run at least $8K.

I recently spent about $11k for a paint job and some restoration body work on my Morgan, but then there's lots of hand panel fitting which is not required on a Porsche.

JP
Old 03-01-2004, 03:25 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've done it both ways. A top pro shop @$4500 in the same color returnrd my car (after three months) with compound dust and a bag of parts he couldn't remember where to put.

Then I proceeded to get every parking lot ding in the world, within the firdt month. I considered myself an idiot.

I took the car to Macco and had the color changed and two phase metalic and clear coat for $2000, and it looks better than the $4500 job, and I don't worry as much about dings.

Go Macco! But do the easy prep yourself (trim, lights, moldings, etc.)
Old 03-01-2004, 11:04 AM
markwemple
Instructor

What kills me is that the real mony in paint work is prep and post. If you do the prep yourself, strip off every light and piece of trim and them do the polishing afterwards, MAACO is very close to as good. I have seen fisheyes in 4k paint and none in a 500 MAACO (very rare I know) but it happens. I am not sure why paint has become sooooo expensive, but other than the hazmat expenses I can't think of any real reason.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:05 AM
markwemple
Instructor

Beerburner, the chip issue is probably because it is too thick instead of the other way around.

Quick Reply: What to expect to pay for paint job?