Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advice: Low Mileage (No Engine Work) Vs. High Mileage (Rebuilt Engine, Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 PM
ksluna
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advice: Low Mileage (No Engine Work) Vs. High Mileage (Rebuilt Engine, Transmission)

Which car would you guys be more inclined to buy?

Assuming the engine work has been done by a reputable shop, compression and leak down tests come out good, and the transmission was serviced. Would you be more inclined to purchase a 911 with a higher mileage chassis, but fresh internals/drive train?

I guess the market is all over the place right now and to be honest I've only been exclusively searching for lower mileage examples but it has crossed my mind that maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to pick up a car with 100k+ on the chassis with everything done well than pay more for an untouched example
Old 07-23-2019, 04:03 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

always the low mile car.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:45 PM
danco_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an age old question.

I would think what matters most is how long the previous owners have owned the cars, documented maintenance/repairs, and a proper PPI.
If you intend on driving the car over 5k miles per year, you will put considerable mileage on your car (which is a good thing). If you know you will be driving your car a lot, plan on modifying a bit here and there, then I wouldn't discount searching for a higher mileage car. My car is higher mileage and a driver, but I bought it right which allowed me to take it in the direction I chose, without hesitation.

But I agree, always start with the lower mileage car if possible. If it is between two cars and the higher mileage car is actually in better condition with more documentation, I would go for the "better" of the two cars.

GL!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:00 PM
ksluna
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks

I plan on driving this car, not making it a garage queen. Definitely at least 5K miles per year...
Old 07-24-2019, 07:35 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Depends on the asking price difference and the condition of of each of the cars.

Personally, if it is going to be a driver, not a garage queen, and in similar condition I would go with the high mileage one if it is $10K cheaper since it has had recent major work completed and not being worried about racking up the miles and getting some road rash.

I have two friends that picked up 911's about 7 years ago with over 200,000 miles each on them and recently sold them due to personal reasons and they got got back what they originally paid plus some extra.
Neither of the cars have had an engine rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (09-06-2020)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM
freesaints
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a car has been driven, maintained and rebuilt properly, and you plan on driving it, I'd go with the higher mileage car. I don't think the lower mileage car makes it "better", just worth more in the market for those that aren't going to drive it all that much. Additionally, if it's been out of commission for a while, there's no telling what other issues may need to be addressed. Plus you'll still have a cost to get it running again, which should be factored in on a price comparison between the two.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:56 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I don’t think I have ever had a rental that didn’t smell like a smokers car. You could not give me a smokers car. So I would definitely see in person and make sure there isn’t anything covering up smoke smell
Old 08-30-2020, 06:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

The answer is it firmly depends. Seen 20k mile cars that look beat and 100k mike cars that look like new.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

not to mention head studs can pop on low mileage garage queens too... rust never sleeps.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:22 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

I'd offer 25K.... Not kidding. That car is a **** show.

Quick Reply: Advice: Low Mileage (No Engine Work) Vs. High Mileage (Rebuilt Engine, Transmission)