Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Choosing between '86 vs. '87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Excellence prices quoted above are fairly accurate IF the car is truly excellent.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:08 PM
RSAmerica1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedraser (and others),

So I get an idea of what truly excellent means to you, can you please elaborate? Would you need it to be a complete concours/show car to warrant a $24-25K price? If I had the car go through a PPI and no problems arose, could you see $24-25K as realistic?

This car has all original paint in near perfect shape, f/r factory spoilers, factory sports suspension, relatively low miles (66K), very tight gaps all around, and drives and brakes strong. Wheels are PERFECT, possibly redone by Wheel Enhancement or similar. The only thing negative about the interior is the aftermarket speakers mounted in the doors and rear shelf, and a tiny tear in the headliner near the rear corner of the sunroof. It's just the lack of records that detract from my interest. I actually spoke to Bryan Buxton about the car and he recalls it as being an excellent car and that it was completely serviced. Both he and the current owner supplied me with some information as to why there are no records with the car now, so at least there is some sort of explanation.

Sorry for going on so long.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:19 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a nice one that's the color combo you like. Hopefully, get one with some records and a PPI and you will have taken all the precautions you can. I also would not get to caught up in all the great deals you hear about. You have to buy what's in your area or take the plunge and buy "sight unseen", ship it and hope. Regardless of what year, it's not going to be any great investment. So, if you spend 1 or 2K more to get what you want you will be happier in the end. Get a G-50 car because you like the way it drives better than a 915 tranny. If you don't care, don't worry about getting the 915, as it is fine. The tranny is not driving the price by much. 88's sell for more than 87's, 87's will sell for more than 86's and so on down the line for the 3.2's.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

P.C.:

Here's my thoughts on an "excellent" car:

The car should not need anything major in the way of maintenance or repairs. Tires and brakes should be fresh. Paint very shiny with no excessive stone chips, much less dings or dents. Paint should be all original or with very minor paint repairs (if any). Interior should be free of excessive wear. Seats should not be worn too poorly (such as the outside side bolster of the driver's front seat). Leather seats (if so equipped) should be soft, free of excessive cracking and in good condition.

The motor should have no leaks and the normal maintenance should be up to date. The trans should shift without problems and the car in general should drive very well. Mileage should be on the lower side (3000-5000 per year) or very low for it's age. There should be considerable documentation on the car.

You should be able to buy a car like this, spend some hours cleaning and do quite well at a local level concours competition. You should not have to spend a lot of money right off the bat on an excellent car.

Do you like this car? Do you like the color and options? How does it drive as compared to other similar 911's? How does this car's price compare to similar cars in your area?

Get a thorough PPI by a shop/tech you trust and don't worry about the lack of records. It's not the end of the world if the car doesn't have a full set of records. The CURRENT condition and what the car needs NOW are really the determining factors on these cars. If you like the car and it passes a PPI with flying colors, $22-24k might not be a bad price. It would sell pretty quickly in my area for that. As always, bargin the price down as much as you can using the PPI for leverage.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 02-12-2004, 10:25 PM
krichard
Instructor

Originally posted by pcheplick
Kerry,

Out of curiosity, was your car listed around that selling price? or did you negotiate it down due to the a/c, etc.? The car's that I am looking at were originally asking $25K for the '86 and $26,900 for the '87 which are really ridiculous, especially for private sellers and limited history/records. Everyone seems to think these cars are going up in value which I have a hard time believing knowing how many were made and how many are stilla around (and for sale!).

Thanks.
My car was originally listed at 18k. I bought it out of state so I asked around here and pelican if someone could take a look at it. After getting a thumbs up from the board member I had a PPI done, negotiated the price over the phone, flew up two days later and drove the car home. Don't be afraid to look out of state for a good car. They are out there. If I would have only looked in TX I would probably still be looking for a car. They tend to be a bit higher priced here also. That's what sent me looking outside the state. I wanted a G50 and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. There are lots and lots of Porsche owners that have an inflated idea of what they will sell there car for. Most of them can probably afford to hold on to it till "the right" buyer comes along (read someone that's gotta have it a any cost).
Old 02-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

PC,

I pretty much agree with Jay on the definition of "excellent." From your description, it sounds like the car you're looking at would likely qualify. It's basically about overall condition, both cosmetically and mechanically. An extraordinary, super-low-mileage car that is virtually flawless would be BETTER than excellent, and would bring a premium price (to the buyer who wanted that).

I think the lack of records is an issue, but it need not be a fatal one. Not everyone who touched the car in a decade and a half knew how important records would become. The lack of them certainly means a PPI is that much more important, and real attention has to be paid to trying to verify the car's mileage. However, I wouldn't walk away from a car that appears to be everything you're looking for just because it doesn't have a full set of records. That said, my '81 911SC had 39,000 miles when I bought it, almost 10 years ago. It had some records, but certainly not a complete set. The car was very clearly in superb condition, cosmetically and mechanically, and it passed the PPI with flying colors. It was very obviously better than every other car I'd looked at. Looking at the whole picture, the somewhat incomplete set of records wasn't going to send me away. It now has 68,000 miles and has been one of the best cars I've ever had. I doubt it has cost me more than about $500 in unscheduled repairs.

There are some bargains to be had, but a really good car can still bring the extra money. Hope that helps -- happy hunting.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Mark sP
Instructor

History! History! History!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:13 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

86 v 87 - comes down to tranny - I have driven a perfect example of the 915 (28K pampered miles) and my G-50 (50K miles) back to back and it was an easy decision for me to hold out for the g-50 car. YMMV

No when I look for a track car - I won't be quite as picky
Old 02-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

I didnt read this whole thread....but to the OP, the price on the 86 is too high.

I got my 86 Cab, with only 64K and brand new 7s and 9s Fuchs and new top last year for $17K. This was considered a great deal at the time, but now..one year later, a coupe should certainly be no more expensive than a Cab. Cabs are priced higher, in general.

I was faced with this same decision last year..86 vs 87. I chose the 86 because I loved the car better...and it wasnt worth the cost to pay for the updated tranny and a few hp.

I dont regret my decision one bit.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

If the '86 Coupe is as nice as it sounds, it is worth far more than $17K, IMO, certainly in the NE. This assumes the PPI is good, of course. I don't know the condition of your car, Sonic, but if it's in really great shape you got a phenomenal deal, and it would be phenomenal today too.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:21 AM
krichard
Instructor

pcheplick, when it comes down to it the car is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. If you think your getting a good deal that's all that matters. I personally think anything over 20k for a non widebody car up to '89 is rediculous, but hey what do I know. Since I've owned a couple 911s I should be glad that there are people still asking high prices but I just don't buy it. No matter what you pay you will have to put money into it eventually so keep that in mind when you make your decision, probably sooner rather than later.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:08 AM
markweintraub
Intermediate

I'd go for the 87.

I just bought a one owner 87 coupe with 47k -- for $24,000. A total repaint -- done right. All the glass and rubber taken off -- so no overspray. Body hadn't been hit -- just a bunch of stone chips. Once I knew that the car hadn't been hit (2 PPI's to confirm), I saw the repaint as a positive. The car looks brand new.

Friend of mine has an 86 -- and loves it. Driving the two cars back to back, though, leaves me thinking that the 915 transmission is a bit agricultural compared with the g50. That was a huge deal for me.

Either way, enjoy.

Mark
Old 02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Jaxon
Racer

PRICE IS TOO HIGH ON BOTH!

Sorry to burst any bubbles. I guess if you can get that price, then fine. But I've had to many opportunities to purchase 9 out of 10- '86's and '87's on the east coast for $18,000 and under.

Maybe I should locate one for you at $18,000 and take a $2,000 finders fee That sounds a little cocky I guess.

Good luck, be patient, and as someone on this board once advised me, don't be afraid to go out of your area to purchase one.

Quick Reply: Choosing between '86 vs. '87 Carrera