Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Nightmare buy on Peecarmarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
okay to be honest you are moving on to "whining" about your car, we get it , car was misrepresented. you dont have to tell us every post.

get over it .. yes , you feel burned, but you dont have to tell us on every post you make here.

Just do what other enthusiasts do and tell us what projects you are doing to improve your car,.

just my 2c
Well "THEICEMAN" if you don't like what I am posting don't look at it.

I understand you would like to control what people say and consider yourself "the judge" when it comes to subject matter but on-line bullying, which is what you are doing, is to me one of the most disgusting realities of internet forums.

Last edited by Archer911; 05-14-2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

We understand you’re disappointed in the condition of the car, and rightly so. But Ice has a point. We’re happy to help you sort out the best way of fixing the car’s problems, you just need to ask. I haven’t read this thread for a while and just came back to see if the tone had changed, because I had the same sense as he did.

It’s not bullying, just some friendly advice. You may find people moving on to a more positive thread, so when you do need help with something your audience is going to be limited and you may not find the help you need.

The missing pedal covers are an opportunity to go with something from Rennline, maybe in brushed aluminum. I am thinking of doing the same to add some contrast to an otherwise bland, all-black interior.

Did you decide to do to do anything with the oil lines? Here is the Pelican thread with the fix: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ne-5-beer.html

Mark
Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
We understand you’re disappointed in the condition of the car, and rightly so. But Ice has a point. We’re happy to help you sort out the best way of fixing the car’s problems, you just need to ask. I haven’t read this thread for a while and just came back to see if the tone had changed, because I had the same sense as he did.

It’s not bullying, just some friendly advice. You may find people moving on to a more positive thread, so when you do need help with something your audience is going to be limited and you may not find the help you need.

The missing pedal covers are an opportunity to go with something from Rennline, maybe in brushed aluminum. I am thinking of doing the same to add some contrast to an otherwise bland, all-black interior.

Did you decide to do to do anything with the oil lines? Here is the Pelican thread with the fix: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ne-5-beer.html

Mark
Thanks for the kind response Mark.

This thread is not about upgrades hence the title.

If nobody on Rennlist cares to hear this story so that a similar thing doesn’t happen to them some day then I shouldn’t waste my time here.

To be clear this thread was not started to ask for help fixing any of these problems, instead it's about my experience buying the car and all the problems I am discovering that were not disclosed in the auction listing. I hope I can help at least one person not make the same mistake that I did.
I may certainly contribute to other threads with information on how I am fixing these issues in the future—I have taken many photos.

I bought the Rennline pedal covers and they will be on today (the bare metal pads are damn slippery). I will certainly replace the damaged oil line as well as remedy the issues with the forward oil cooler and housing.

Thanks again

Last edited by Archer911; 05-15-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i think your projects are valuable, and many can learn from what you are doing technically ... all im saying is get off the ' this car was supposed to be pristine" train , every body got that after the first 5 posts.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:43 AM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by theiceman
i think your projects are valuable, and many can learn from what you are doing technically ... all im saying is get off the ' this car was supposed to be pristine" train , every body got that after the first 5 posts.
Unless I posted to the wrong forum, and perhaps I did, (moderator please let me know if my posts are inappropriate) then why should I stop talking about this, supplying photos, showing examples, just because you tell me to stop talking?

Here's another question for you:
This weekend at cars and coffee I will bring this car because numerous PCA members and non PCA Porsche owners who are my friends want to know about my experiences with pcarmarket and the seller and the problems I am having with this car.
Finally the question-If you were walking by and heard me "whining" about it as you have previously stated would you then tell me to stop talking, to stop whining?
I don't think you would. You'd either listen or walk away. That's the difference between face to face conversations and tapping these words out online. People behave differently online, don't they?

Now at this stage I have more than $60k in this car, spent at least 50 hours fixing problems, and that's serious. Have you ever seen this car in person? Have you driven this car? Is this your money? I guess no to all those questions.

I am not looking at posts here or on any other forum that I am not interested in. I am not making negative comments and trying to shut other conversations down because I don't like what someone else is saying. You haven't added one comment of any value to this thread that I can see. Why don't you just leave me alone and move on to other topics?

This thread is not about how I will fix all the problems with this car. This thread is about my experience buying the car and all the problems I am discovering that were not disclosed in the auction listing.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:23 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Well, that's fine. Your list of problems can help others who happen to find this thread, but if they don't get a PPI or know to do so, how likely are they to find the thread and read it.

Then there are benefits to you: [1] you might be able to use it to document the issues as it shows the date yo found and posted something, but how will that help?
[2] it is cheaper than going to a psycho-therapist.

So...??
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by r911
Well, that's fine. Your list of problems can help others who happen to find this thread, but if they don't get a PPI or know to do so, how likely are they to find the thread and read it.

Then there are benefits to you: [1] you might be able to use it to document the issues as it shows the date yo found and posted something, but how will that help?
[2] it is cheaper than going to a psycho-therapist.

So...??

lolz [2]
Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Archer911
Banned

To "THE ICEMAN" and "R911" I think I know you guys! Are't you two of the people on Bring A Trailer who have no intention of buying the car they are commenting on, criticizing how the car is being test driven, adding nothing of value to any conversation? Yeah, that's your personality profile. You are impressed by how many posts you have regardless of how worthless they are—legends in your own minds perhaps?

Now that you fine gentlemen have taken a healthy dump in this thread what are your goals for the future?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:21 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archer911
To "THE ICEMAN" and "R911" I think I know you guys! Are't you two of the people on Bring A Trailer who have no intention of buying the car they are commenting on, criticizing how the car is being test driven, adding nothing of value to any conversation? Yeah, that's your personality profile. You are impressed by how many posts you have regardless of how worthless they are—legends in your own minds perhaps?

Now that you fine gentlemen have taken a healthy dump in this thread what are your goals for the future?
Just move on man...
Most of us are interested in you documenting your work.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:40 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

No, you have me confused with someone else.

If you want to post to help others do it, tho as I said they likely won't find this thread.

Or keep whining, which is what you've turned this thread into.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:16 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Did you guys get Archie banned or did he change his profile so you'd stop aggravating him? lol
Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

not me - I'm fine with him posting - like watching a list of bad POs in history (or like watching a dumpster fire from upwind, depending on the emotive content)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Archer911
...This thread is not about how I will fix all the problems with this car. This thread is about my experience buying the car and all the problems I am discovering that were not disclosed in the auction listing.
I don't want to get caught in any cross fire here , but I'll say that I find this thread interesting, and expect it will be useful for other potential 911 buyers who can see what could possibly be wrong behind the nice online photos.

Also, it seems that Archer911 is very capable of quickly identifying and fixing all these problems, and documenting them well, which would probably not be the case for most people who buy the wrong car, so it will help them too.

All the whining about other people whining is not so interesting or useful to me, but maybe I'm different. So I just try to skip over those posts, hoping for some useful content. Flame away people.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:52 PM
SP2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

There are used car scammers all over the place and even more so with something like air cooled Porsches that are commanding premium prices these days. You're buying the seller, so to speak as much as you are buying the car. I've been through the buying used car long distance process many times. I had to kiss a lot of frogs before finding the prince. Within a few minutes on the phone I can tell if it's someone I want to do business with or not. I was interested in this one Carrera that on paper looked great. Right color, right mileage, condition looked good. But every question I asked the seller came back with a vague, wishy washy answer. What kind of maintenance records do you have? Oh I dunno, I've maintained it well. What's the last major service the car had? Oh I dunno, it runs great, it doesn't need anything. OK thank you for your time, click. There's nothing like a 15 minute phone call (not emails, not texts, not tweets, but real time conversation) with a seller to know whether to proceed or not. Which is impossible to do with an online auction.

As for PPIs, even if the car is located in a city/town without an available Porsche expert, have someone look at it. A decent mechanic should be able to spot obvious problems on any car, including a Porsche, even if he's never laid eyes on one before.

And even after doing all that and taking every precaution and doing all due diligence.....it's still a used car. And it's a gamble buying one. And sometimes you will get burned and there's not a hell of a lot you can do about it other than take your lumps and move on.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Did you guys get Archie banned or did he change his profile so you'd stop aggravating him? lol

im sure given his penchant to whine , the fact he is now sulking should not surpise anyone..

in the Canadian road hockey venacular .. " i'm taking my net and i'm going home !"

Quick Reply: Nightmare buy on Peecarmarket