Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Nightmare buy on Peecarmarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

You seem to know you’re way around cars.

How come you didn’t do a PPI?

You can’t take a used car ad description at face value, as G.H.W. Bush said “It wouldn’t be prudent” ..
or was that Dana Carvey
Old 05-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all the guys wanting to fault me or questioning me vis-a-vis a PPI.

When you are 3000 miles away and don't know who to hire to do a PPi.......

I have known several people over the years who have bought PPIs only to be totally disappointed in the cars when they arrive because the monkeys doing the PPIs were, well monkeys.

With an air-cooled Porsche in my opinion you need an expert in air-cooled Porsches to detect all the issues known to these cars.

There are highly skilled liars out there. There are people with little or no conscience out there. I bet the liars outnumber the good guys 10 to 1.

More to come.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Archer911
To all the guys wanting to fault me or questioning me vis-a-vis a PPI.

When you are 3000 miles away and don't know who to hire to do a PPi.......

I have known several people over the years who have bought PPIs only to be totally disappointed in the cars when they arrive because the monkeys doing the PPIs were, well monkeys.

With an air-cooled Porsche in my opinion you need an expert in air-cooled Porsches to detect all the issues known to these cars.

There are highly skilled liars out there. There are people with little or no conscience out there. I bet the liars outnumber the good guys 10 to 1.

More to come.

Bummer about your car... .... dump it if it bothers you that much if not then figure it out and enjoy it. and be done with it....... your statement liars outnumbering the good guys 10 to 1 is wrong(anywhere in this world)... and in the Porsche Community it is even more off. The coolest thing about the Porsche Community is the masses / significant majority of people are honest, trustworthy and good humans. Can't tell you how many times Porsche owners have helped me without even knowing me or let me borrow things without worrying about getting it back. When I bought my Porsche from the East Coast I even had members on this forum and the other offer to look at the car and even take it in for a PPI for me.

Get that thing sorted out and drive it. BTW.... even the well sorted cars need work... I haven't found a cheap Porsche yet
Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by CBA
Bummer about your car... .... dump it if it bothers you that much if not then figure it out and enjoy it. and be done with it....... your statement liars outnumbering the good guys 10 to 1 is wrong(anywhere in this world)... and in the Porsche Community it is even more off. The coolest thing about the Porsche Community is the masses / significant majority of people are honest, trustworthy and good humans. Can't tell you how many times Porsche owners have helped me without even knowing me or let me borrow things without worrying about getting it back. When I bought my Porsche from the East Coast I even had members on this forum and the other offer to look at the car and even take it in for a PPI for me.

Get that thing sorted out and drive it. BTW.... even the well sorted cars need work... I haven't found a cheap Porsche yet
The seller was in no way a member of the Porsche community. I agree with you about passionate Porsche owners—most of my friends are passionate Porsche owners.

You know what? Perhaps the best criteria for buying a used Porsche, anywhere in the world, is to buy it from a passionate Porsche owner.

Anyway, on to the next repair and more parts orders...
Old 05-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Archer911
Banned

Only minor problems found today including a broken front directional socket that had been previously mended with an epoxy and finally let go and a wobbly horn pad on the steering wheel which had a couple of previously glued fasteners let go. Oh yeah, for some reason someone undid the stitching on the bottom of the wheel.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Archer911
Banned

Working on less deadly problems today with this "sorted" car I bought. The driver's and passenger's height adjustment switches don't work so delving into that as well as repairing a rocker panel cover with broken spot welds.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 AM
Shopcat
Track Day

Pcarmarket is a site created by dealers, and most of the cars listed there are from those inside dealers. Its just a way to take advantage of the BAT phenomenon, where cars are purchased for way over market due to auction psychology and out of state buyers, no PPI ect. There are numerous threads on pelican discussing the pcarmarket listing shenanigans, "sold" cars back on the dealer website, massively misrepresented cars ect.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by Shopcat
Pcarmarket is a site created by dealers, and most of the cars listed there are from those inside dealers. Its just a way to take advantage of the BAT phenomenon, where cars are purchased for way over market due to auction psychology and out of state buyers, no PPI ect. There are numerous threads on pelican discussing the pcarmarket listing shenanigans, "sold" cars back on the dealer website, massively misrepresented cars ect.
This is interesting. I'll check Pelican for those posts.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 PM
Archer911
Banned

Today on a car that was described on the auction site as "one of the most well sorted examples available" I had additional minor albeit costly discoveries such as missing or damaged oil line separators and missing clutch and brake covers. Also some change under the driver's seat that will help pay for the thousands of dollars in parts and repairs that this car needs.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:58 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Archer911
Today on a car that was described on the auction site as "one of the most well sorted examples available" I had additional minor albeit costly discoveries such as missing or damaged oil line separators and missing clutch and brake covers. Also some change under the driver's seat that will help pay for the thousands of dollars in parts and repairs that this car needs.
Again, I would encourage you to talk with a lawyer. Seller's cannot make misrepresentations and then hide behind an AS-IS claim. Especially if the misrepresentations are in writing.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Good luck defining “well sorted” in a legal context.

In the meantime we get to see a mostly list of sins of the past of a 30 yr old car. Haven’t seen a surprise yet. It’s a used car that didn’t get inspected prior to purchase. Caveat emperor.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I bought a lot of old cars
all are ABOVE mkt
some quite a bit above mkt.
ALL ARE WELL SORTED OR BEST OF THEIR KIND
and usually after I put in 75% more kn my above mkt purchase price they become driveable in my std.

so well sorted is ambiguous. really hard to enforce in legal court.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean L.
Again, I would encourage you to talk with a lawyer. Seller's cannot make misrepresentations and then hide behind an AS-IS claim. Especially if the misrepresentations are in writing.
Someone mentioned "class action" in another forum.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:37 AM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Good luck defining “well sorted” in a legal context.

In the meantime we get to see a mostly list of sins of the past of a 30 yr old car. Haven’t seen a surprise yet. It’s a used car that didn’t get inspected prior to purchase. Caveat emperor.
It's all been a surprise to me.
Do you have any relation to the auction site or the previous owner?

Last edited by Archer911; 05-14-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

okay to be honest you are moving on to "whining" about your car, we get it , car was misrepresented. you dont have to tell us every post.

get over it .. yes , you feel burned, but you dont have to tell us on every post you make here.

Just do what other enthusiasts do and tell us what projects you are doing to improve your car,.

just my 2c

Quick Reply: Nightmare buy on Peecarmarket