Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

86 Carrera stock front torsion bar size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004 | 06:36 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 Carrera stock front torsion bar size?

Does anyone know the size of stock front torsion bar on an '86 Carrera. I see the rears were increased to 25mm, the sway bars at 21/22 but I can't seem to find the stock size for front T-bars.

I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension and will tend to follow Steve Weiner's suggestion of:

22/28 sanders tubular torsion bars
Bilstein HD front and Sport rear
Strut brace (elephant racing)
turbo tie rods
ball joints

Is it necessary to upgrade the sway bars as well to adjustable 22/22s or can I stay with the stock fixed 22/21s.

I do not track or auto cross the car, however I do love the canyon roads here in SLC.

Thanks!

Last edited by jet911; 01-31-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2004 | 07:40 PM
Marcesq
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe its around 18mm

IMHO, sway bars are for tuning only after shocks and torsion bars have been matched. If you don't track the car, I would leave the sways alone.
Old 01-30-2004 | 08:14 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jet911,

have you seen this article? It provides a good basis to help you make your decision on the upgrade you're considering. Always a good idea to make sure your matching the change in sprign rate on the torsion bars to the change in stiffness of the strus/shocks. Don't want to wind up with an under or overdamped car.

Whatever you choose be sure to follow up with an alignment and corner balance. Good luck!

Kevin
Old 01-31-2004 | 12:51 AM
jet911
Pro

Thanks Guys! I should have checked Pelican tech articles. Thanks Kevin!
Old 01-31-2004 | 02:30 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock front is 18.8. Almost 19. They were the same size forever in the SC, Carrera and 930. As for the sway bars, leave what you have in there. Your 22/21 late eighties factory sway bars are what my friends and I run in our SC and Carrera track cars along with 23/30 torsion bars. Even though I have a couple of friends who run adjustables, It's not like I have to have their shoes surgically removed from my ***. The bars don't seem to have an effect on their lap times, or I would have seen it. With the people I run with, adjustables, non-adjustables, who is fast is fast and that is that. Regardless of sway bars. Considering you are not at the track every weekend like my friends and I are, just leave the factory sway bars in. The 22/28 combo has been very popular forever now and is probably a good bet. Probably nicer riding than what I have. Though every time I ride in a 930 with stock 18.8 front and stock 930 26 or 27 (later 930) rear and bilstein sports all around, I qustion not only my 23/30 setup, but 22/28 as well. Maybe one of these days I will throw in just 930 rear units in my other car or my sister's Carrera to see the effect. I like the idea of a sport in the front because on a stock suspension running 18.8 in the front, chances are it will be lowered somewhat. Mix that with the very short travel from lowering and the snubbers start to become a frequently used spring medium. The sports in the front keep things off the snubbers a little bit more. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited by Ed Bighi; 01-31-2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2004 | 02:27 PM
jet911
Pro

Thanks Ed!

So here's what I'm now thinking.

22/28 Sanders Tubular Torsion bars
Bilstein Sports around
Turbo Tie Rods
Strut Brace (Elephant Racing or KLA)
New Ball joints

Does that sound like a good setup?

Also, I'm looking at Fabspeed pass through pipe (euro-pre muffler) and muffler and chip. Fabspeed is claiming about 28 hp increase with that combo. Is the muffler for a grand really that good? Are there any other pre-muffler/muffler like a Danski, etc., single in, dual out just as good for nearly half the price? Do you get resonance with those setups? Fabspeed claims no resonance at all. Suggestions?

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2004 | 02:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Jim:

Just some input,.....

Using Sport shocks in front changes ride quality. Those have considerably more compression valving and you really feel that in your hand through the steering wheel. I use HD's on street cars and Sports more for track use as better compromise for cars used 70% or more on the road.

FWIW,...Fabspeed makes many claims that are not always the truth. Caveat Emptor, Sir.

We use Monty mufflers or Dansk. Both are very well done and single outlet versions are not intrusive in the cabin. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-31-2004 | 04:16 PM
jet911
Pro

Hi Steve,
Thanks and I was hoping you would pop in as I value your input and knowledge!

In your opinion then would the following be a good upgrade for steet driving although aggressive at times:

22/28 Sanders Tubular Torsion bars
Bilstein HD Front, Sports Rear
Turbo Tie Rods
Strut Brace (Elephant Racing or KLA)
New Ball joints

Good advice on you get what you pay for! Don't ask how I know :-(

My question would be in regard to, is the fabspeed cat bypass/muffler combo that good or is it equivelent to a premuffler (cat bypass pipe) and a Monty/Dansk muffler combo? Can I expect some improvement?

I know there's been a bit of discussion on the chip issue, however for the '86 vs. '87, it does appear the only real difference in the 10HP gain is the chip. I'm not looking at upgrading to SSI at this time, however maybe down the road.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate you time and opinion!

Last edited by jet911; 01-31-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2004 | 06:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Jim:

Thats a good setup and we sell/install a lot of those packages.

The improvement is very modest with any of these cat bypasses or premufflers (unless its clogged). The bulk of any power gains is in the muffler and that's just one reason why we only use Monty or Dansk.

A properly made chip is THE single biggest performance improvement you can make. Don't just go by dyno figures,......we do not drive dynos.

Chips are all about transient engine RPM responses and a properly programmed one really enhances throttle response. Dyno's cannot measure that since they measure full throttle power only.
Old 01-31-2004 | 09:09 PM
jet911
Pro

Hi Steve,

As always, Thank You for your time and input. When I get ready to go, I'll shoot you an e-mail. Probably won't be until I get the OK from the boss and my tax refund hits!

Thanks again Steve!

Quick Reply: 86 Carrera stock front torsion bar size?