Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

When I first turn on the heat in my Carrera, the heater motors scream, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 AM
427grips
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When I first turn on the heat in my Carrera, the heater motors scream, what can I do?

When I first turn on the heat in my Carrera, the heater motors scream, what can I do? They stop screaming when the car warms up. Maybe they need oil or a grease job. Please help,

RMS
Old 01-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

The shafts of the blower motors have felt pads that you can put a couple of drops of oil on. Not a hard job, just a bit tedious.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Mark sP
Instructor

FWIW, mine do the same on setting 7 and above, but only for a minute or so.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:48 PM
427grips
Advanced

How and where do I put the recommended oil?? What do I open up?
RMS
Old 01-30-2004, 02:50 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: When I first turn on the heat in my Carrera, the heater motors scream, what can I do?

Originally posted by 427grips
When I first turn on the heat in my Carrera, the heater motors scream, what can I do?
Move to Southern California would be my suggestion? I've just started to occasionally have this issue, so thanks to all the responses ('cause I'm not moving)!
Old 01-30-2004, 04:37 PM
dugsud
Instructor

My SC had this exact same problem, then last weekend the fan stopped altogether!
I've not had a chance to have a look at it yet but any advice would be most helpful.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:15 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I think you'll find it's the bronze bushings for the shafts. What will happen - eventually - is that it will get worse, and then the blower will stop all together - blowing the fuse in the left side engine fuse block. Aside from reinstalling the housing bearing - replacement is the only solution. There is an "aftermarket" blower fan which apparently works - but I don't have that link..?

Anyway - it's a very common problem.... I think I went through 3 blowers in 8 years on my '87 Carrera - but I did drive it year round....

Wish I had better info for you!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Originally posted by 427grips
How and where do I put the recommended oil?? What do I open up?
RMS
You don't say what year you have, but since you say Carrera I'll assume it's '87-'89, in which case if you're hearing the motor(s) really loud in the cockpit, it would be the footwell motors.

They are behind the panels on the left and right sides of the footwell, just forward of the doors. The panels come off very easily - 2 or 3 screws - and the motors are right there. Also very easy to remove them for service. I've lubed mine several times and they always start making noise again. The hvac motors on these cars are really lightweight and not very durable. I've replaced all of them (fresh air motor, a/c blower motor, a/c condensor motor, and engine compartment motor) in my '88, except the footwell motors where I just gave up and pulled the fuses. The heat that's blown forward by the motor in the engine compartment does a good enough job. You have to wait for the engine to warm up to get any heat anyway, so before that you're just blowing cold air. The footwell blowers probably do help with a faster windshield defrost, though.

It still amazes me that in a car where the designers have gone to great lengths to reduce weight and make everything reliable, they used 6 cheap, heavy motors where 2 or 3 really good ones would have done the job.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

For an aftermarket replacement, try this: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ghlight=blower
Old 01-30-2004, 06:10 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Dave
Do you happen to know where the motors are located in an 83 SC?
Are they in the same place?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

I don't think they have footwell motors.

Quick Reply: When I first turn on the heat in my Carrera, the heater motors scream, what can I do?